The Obesity Epidemic is Alive and Well
Obese people are everywhere in our Country
Obesity in the U.S.
We do not need statistics to realize that we are suffering from an epidemic of obesity in the United States. Take a quick a look around and you will see this out of control condition everywhere.
When we come back from California after a week on the boat we are usually in a hurry to get home. We often stop at a fast food place and get a small breakfast. The last time we were sitting and eating at one of these places I counted the number of people in the restaurant. There were about 40 people. Twenty of the people in the restaurant seemed to be about 20 pounds over-weight, Ten of the people were just plain obese, eight looked average and two were in perfect shape (my husband and I). I had to add a little humor here. Most of the people dining appeared to be under 30 years of age. These people were eating one of many breakfast combos all the trimmings and washing down with large soft drinks.
Offering the calorie count on these meals does not seem to deter anyone. I actually did see one person having the cereal and fruit. It is difficult to go into any restaurant today and not see a large number of obese people, or for that matter go anywhere.
Obesity has no age limit
Why People Become Fat
There is more than one reason why we are suffering from mass obesity. Today's landscape is full of stress, life altering situations and daily problems. Many people eat when bored and at that time, generally reach for something sweet or salty. One can always find an excuse in life to eat something unhealthy.
There are still many conscientious mothers giving their kids a healthy breakfast, limiting unhealthy snacks and encouraging them to eat vegetables and fruit. Outside influence that kids will experience will happen no matter what mothers do. Where there is available candy, cookies and chips kids will automatically reach for them. My kids always complained there was nothing good to eat in the house. Today both of them see that their kids eat healthful foods.
Lets face it we are all born with different metabolisms. Some kids can eat and eat and never gain a pound. I was one of those kids. I remember stopping at the candy store on the way home from school and eating tons of food when I returned home. I was absolutely skinny. Other kids seem to eat more prudently and still be heavier than the rest of their peers.
We are bombarded with food messages everywhere. There are TV stations that feature chefs preparing elegant meals with lots of sugar, butter and salt. Magazines and online food sites are easy to find. You can find many recipes for just about anything you can dream up. Most activities that people participate in include eating at some point. After a long hike or bike ride do you stop for meal somewhere? Usually when you have been burning up calories you are hungry. What kind of food do you choose to eat--fast food or a healthy selection?
I have observed very fat people-- this is not with prejudice--often have trouble walking to their front door. Unfortunately these people are subject to many diseases as they age as well as low energy and aches and pains.
If I were to make a declaration that if everyone who has a poor diet would cut out soft drinks, potato chips, fatty meats and pastries there would be fewer trips to the doctor. Medical services would be reduced and alleviate the over-crowded emergency rooms. People would feel better with more energy. Most obese people get used to their large girth, and they accept feeling poorly.
Make Health Choices in Food
Solutions to End Obesity in the U.S.
As you have noticed this hub is not full of statistics. You can check the bottom link if you want to have an idea what is going on in our country in the obesity department.
Solutions are Simple:
- You can cut your grocery bill by at least 20 percent, if you cut out all prepared snack items, which are generally full of salt and sugar. People complain about the high cost of produce, but the reality is that if you cut out the unhealthy stuff you can use the money for fruits and vegetables. Stock up on frozen vegetables when on sale. Buy veggies in season or better yet start your own garden. Most people who have their own gardens take great pride and enjoyment in watching the vegetables grow.
- Limit your meals out in restaurants. When you are hungry and in a hurry avoid fast food places.
- If you are the chief cook at home make meals ahead so there is no last minute rush. Start the crock pot in the morning before you leave; or defrost a frozen chicken dinner you had prepared at an earlier time.
- Don't give into temptation and eat food samples offered to you at stores, friend's houses or restaurants.
- When you are dining out in a restaurant or on vacation allow for splurges, but limit the foods cooked with sauces. I am probably the only person who returned from a cruise without a weight gain.
- Don't let yourself get too hungry, because this creates binge eating.
- Get off the chair and turn off the computer or television. Enjoy nature and go for a walk or do jumping jacks at home--but do something. You will be instrumental in keeping the problem of obesity in the U.S. at bay.
Statistics on Obesity in the United States
Start Moving Around
Diets and Losing Weight
Some Healthy Recipes
- How to Make Homemade Salad Dressings
Keep this salad dressing base of oil with lemon juice or vinegar base in the fridge and make at least 100 variations for different meals.
- Easy Recipe for Cold Marinated Vegetable Salad
Salads are generally inexpensive and low calorie. Make this easy recipe for marinated vegetables and enjoy it for several days.
- Astrology: Best Diet for Each Sign, Favorite Foods
Astrology offers many solutions and ideas in life. Often your food choices and weight situation can be determined by your astrology chart.
- Easy Recipes for Sardine Salads with Veggies
Sardines are noted for their many health benefits. Add these little fish to you diet and find out how many easy recipes there are for sardines.
- Ten Ideas for A Healthy Low Carbs Diet
Low carbs diets have been very popular for fairly quick weight loss. You can eat healthfully while adhering to a low carb diet. Don't forget your veggies and fruits.