The Relieving Hot Sitz Bath
What is the hot sitz bath?
Hot sitz bath is defined as partial immersion of the body in basin filled with water covering the pelvic and the anal areas.
Here are the wonderful effects of the hot sitz bath:
- It provides relief to pain after undergoing rectal operation.
- It speeds up the healing and cleaning process in the area that underwent operation.
- It provides relief to cramps and spasms in the pelvic area and in the urinary bladder.
- It triggers pelvic circulation.
- It lightens up the urinary bladder.
Here are things you will need while you apply the hot sitz bath:
- A big enough basin for a person to sit in (this is also called the sitz basin).
- A smaller basin for the foot bath.
- One small basin filled with ice or cold water and compress.
- A sheet or blanket for wrapping around the body.
- A bath towel.
- A large kettle for boiling water.
- A chair or a stool.
Here are the procedures in carrying out the hot sitz bath:
Boil water in large kettle.
Place the large basin on the chair or in the floor surface, with small amount of water, which is hot enough for the patient to sit in.
Take off clothes, underwear and dressings, then wrap your body with a sheet or blanket.
Help the patient to sit in the basin whilst placing the feet in the smaller basin filled with hot water.
Apply cold compress on the forehead and steadily pour in hot water to the sitz basin and foot basin, raising the water temperature proportional to the patient’s tolerance.
Renew cold compress to the head as frequently as you can. Go on with adding hot water for an interval of 20 to 30 minutes.
At the end of the treatment, pour cold water to the sitz bath basin. Lift up the feet and pour cold water to the feet and dry well using a sheet or blanket.
Help out the patient get out of the basin and give him or her warm shower or sponge bath.
Let the patient rest and keep warm after the hot sitz bath.
Bear in mind that the hot sitz bath is best dished out in the bathroom for the floor is likely to get drenched. Thanks for the read and I hope you will come back to read some more of my stuffs.
My entry to the cool WritingContest and the HubMob weekly.