- Alternative & Natural Medicine
How to Apply Steam Inhalation
How to Apply Steam Inhalation and what are its wonderful effects?
Steam inhalation implies the breathing of warm, damp air into the mucous membranes and respiratory tract.
Here are the wonderful effects of steam inhalation:
- It soothes inflammation and congestion of the mucous membranes of the upper respiratory tract.
- It relieves soreness (throat trickle) by dampening the air.
- It loosens secretions and triggers expectoration.
- It relieves sporadic breathing.
- It lightens up the muscles, hence it relieves the coughing.
- It stops dryness of the mucous membranes.
Here are things you will need while you apply steam inhalation
- Kettle with a spout, an empty can be used for applying the steam inhalation.
- Hot plate or portable gas stove.
- Vicks Vaporub ointment or tincture of Benzoin or Camphor oil for nice smelling feeling.
- Old newspaper or any used paper.
- An umbrella.
- Sheets or blankets.
- Paper bag.
Here is the procedure in carrying out the steam inhalation:
Fill the kettle with water with water just below the level of the spout and raise the water temperature to the boiling point. Add a tablespoon of medication (Vicks or Benzoin) into the boiling water.
With caution bring the stove and the kettle adjacent to the bedside of the patient, if the patient cannot able to stand or sit on a chair.
If a croup tent is needed, open an umbrella over the head of the patient and envelop it with a blanket or sheet to create a sort of tent.
With a newspaper or used paper create a cylindrical tube to lead the steam into the tent but away from the patient’s face.
If the patient can able to sit on a chair, the patient may sit near to the stove situated in the kitchen. The cylindrical tube made from newspaper or used paper you may direct the steam into the patient’s face for breathing.
The treatment time usually takes 30 minutes through one hour, twice a day, one in the morning and another in the evening if it is tolerable on the part of the patient.
Here are some extra precautions whilst carrying out the steam inhalation.
Avoid any risks of getting burned.
Shun away from drafts while carrying out the treatment. Close windows near the patient.
Extra caution must be carried out whilst treating children and agitated and edgy patients to prevent getting burned.
An entry to the cool HubMob and WritingContest. Hitting two birds with one stone wahehehe…
Healthy Foods, Drinks and Supplements