Spinal Stenosis

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image0
    SaritaJBonitaposted 11 years ago

I just had (another) neck MRI in September, and the news wasn't good.  I've had a prolapsed (aka slipped) disc for a few years, and now it's causing "mild central canal stenosis."  I'm in constant pain, have such poor strength in my hands that I need pliers to open a bottle of soda, and I sometimes lose the feeling in my feet as well.  I saw a neurosurgeon, who told me that he recommends surgery as a last resort seeing as how the rest of the discs in my neck are already bulging.  Apparently having a surgical fusion makes the rest of your neck weak?

What the surgeon did recommend was a cortisone injection.  I had one in my shoulder last year and it cured it.  Then I got paranoid from a bad reaction to the shot, and I ended up wearing tinfoil on my head because I thought the aliens were coming after me (no, sadly that isn't a joke).  Apparently I'm allergic to prednisone and cortisone... even the injection.  Who knew? 

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here.  If I get the cortisone injection it might help the pain, but for how long?  I have Bipolar Disorder and the last thing I need is to end up in the hospital because of psych issues.  Does anyone else suffer from spinal stenosis?  What have you done that has helped?

Also, I just turned thirty last month.  These health problems run on my mother's side of the family, and my Aunt had her first spinal surgery when she was my age.  She just turned 45 and had a six-level fusion done on her neck.  I don't want to be like her....  Help?!

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good evening, Ms. Bourdeau.

I have spinal stenosis causing pain in my left thigh and calf when I am not sitting. Naturally, my experience and treatment may not apply to any one else. My first reaction was to visit a pain management consultant. I had a month of physical therapy as the initial approach. Nada. I have had eight spinal steroid injections during three sessions over a three-month period. Nada. I am now ramping up on Gabapentin, currently taking 1500 mg daily, with signs of temporary, intermittent, more tolerable discomfort in the 3 to 5 pain level range. I am hoping larger doses will bring additional relief. If my quality of life does not improve in four weeks, I will consider another spinal block injection. Back surgery usually has low success rates so I am reluctant to consider central canal “roto-rooter” surgery if such exists.

Caution is advised with Gabapentin and Bipolar. I know someone who had a negative experience. Careful co-ordination between pain management and mental health practitioners may be in order.

Good luck to you. I wish you quick and long lasting relief.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

1. profile image0
        SaritaJBonitaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Quilligrapher,

I have been on gabapentin (neurontin) before, and it does make a noticable difference in my pain level.  The difficulty is that it makes me sooooo drowsy when I take it with my other meds, that it makes it not worth taking it at all.  I've been to a pain management clinic, and they weren't willing to prescribe anything due to my history of narcotic abuse (years ago, but still...). 

Is there a difference between a cortisone injection and a "spinal block?"  I'm willing to try anything short of surgery, because my quality of life sucks right now.  I never realized how heavy a door can feel while you're opening it, or exactly how much my purse weighs, or that doing dishes puts your neck in a very odd position... etc. etc.

Good luck on your path to finding relief, and thanks for the information!

1. Stacie L profile image89
          Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to hear about your pain and frustration to find some relief. My own experiences with scoliosis and pain relief were remarkable obtained by chiropractic manipulation.
          I do have cervical stenosis that still bothers me from time to time.
          I also want to point out that soda is detrimental to bones.
          http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/featu … teoporosis
          I dont know how serious your condition is but why not check out the non drug and non surgical route ?

2. visionandfocus profile image67
    visionandfocusposted 11 years ago

Sorry to hear about your condition. I just finished reading a book called "Biogenealogy" by Patrick Obissier. You mentioned that spinal stenosis runs in your family, so I think this book will give you some insights, as it's subtitled "Freedom From The Ancestral Origins of Disease". I'm reading it as part of my ongoing research into chronic pain. I did a presentation on "Chronic Pain: The Mind-Body Connection" to a group of therapists last summer, and I have adapted the information contained in that presentation to the general public and published it in a hub titled "Chronic Pain: What You Need To Know and Have Never Been Told". You may find it interesting and pertinent to what you are experiencing.

Wishing you well on your healing journey.

visionandfocus

3. profile image0
    SaritaJBonitaposted 11 years ago

Stacie L,

Surgery and injections and additional medications are all last resorts to me.  I just don't know what else to do, and I cannot live my life like this.  I'm not really a soda drinker, but I should look into other dietary changes, etc.  Also, it's not the bones in my neck that are the problem, it's the soft tissue in-between the vertebrae.  I've had good luck with chiropractors, but my insurance will not pay for one and they all want me to go 3-4X a week.  It's just not in my budget. 

visionandfocus,

Thank you so much for your feedback!  I will read that book and I will read your Hub right now.  I'm a huge believer that diseases of all kinds have complex causes, and it's not really logical to point to one single cause or one single solution.  I will do anything to prevent having a six-level fusion before I turn fifty.... Except for quitting smoking.  I was told that smoking makes pain worse, but being in pain makes quitting so much harder.  And ADHD + Bipolar makes the addiction that much stronger.  It may be a lame excuse but it's reality....  Things are bad enough that I can't even shave my legs by myself... I'm 30 years old, so shaving should not be difficult.     

Thanks to everyone who posted!

4. artist101 profile image60
    artist101posted 11 years ago

I have had on going back and neck problems for close to 10 years. Physical therapy at home has helped considerably. I use an exercise ball, and just roll on it. As well as foam rollers.
    My article on pain mentions just about every supplement that I have tried. i did have to go to a chiro, because I couldn't tie my shoes. Like you I couldn't afford it.
    Mri, revealed stenosis, and slipped, and bulging discs, for me as well. Numbness, pins and needles down my left arm, as well as down my left leg. Put on flexeril, and mobic at night, thats when the pain is worse. Dr recommends surgery for me as well.
    Among the most helpful for me has been: magnesium, a natural muscle relaxer, turmeric, and cherries as pain reliever, and gentle exercise, such as yoga. Especially the cow pose, and snake or serpant pose. There are also neck exercises, whereby you tilt the head side to side, as well as gently, grab one side of the head with the opposite arm, and push, repeat with the other arm. There are numerous articles on yoga, and stretching excersises on youtube, and here on hubpages.
    I hope this helps you. I too do not want, nor can I afford surgery.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)