jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

What is OLD AGE, Really?

1. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12322468.jpg
    Old age is so many things to many people.  There are those who strongly believe that becoming old is a natural, evolutionary aspect of living.  They refuse to stop, actually seeing old age as growth.  They intend to continue learning and growing.  There are others who actually dread old age, they see it as the harbinger of decline, decay, and other ailments.  If they could, they would AVOID it like the plague. 

Old age is also attitude.  There are the NEW old.  They are the ones who will continue to be youthful.  They refuse to view youthfulness and old age as oxymorons.  They will continue to have a zest towards life.  However, there are the OLD old.  They see old age as the cessation of what they use to be.  They begin to lose and/or stop interest in activities.  They become more withdraw and reclusive.  They BECOME old.  What are your thoughts on this?

1. janesix profile image61
      janesixposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't know. I'm 41 and no longer have any zest for life. I welcome old age and death.

gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

41 is young.  You are a youngster.  You have so much to look forward to.  Life is just beginning.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image88
          Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

...born in the mid seventies.. The good " 'ol " days, (for me.) Your job is to continue coolness. I'm sure you do it well, Jane 6.

There is no such thing as death and there is no such thing as old for the soul.

Our spirits are ever youthful. I've heard on the astral plane we are around 33.
          I feel like I will never get old.
          Thats my take and I'm sticking to it.

However,  I like what you have indicated, gmwilliams…embrace life as a new old!
          The body might be getting worn out a little, but never the spirit.
          Peace cool

1. janesix profile image61
            janesixposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Don't know why I wrote that. Having a bad day I guess.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image85
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

When I was 40, I had hit bottom.  My brother had just rescued me from Seattle, and I was recovering from Nervous Breakdown #3.  I weighted the most I ever had, and was horribly out of shape.  Being unemployed, I decided to see if I could get into shape again.  In doing so, I discovered I could do all sorts of things I could not do at a younger age.  Example:  when I was 14, I ran one mile without stopping during the APHHERD PE test.  It took me 7 months of training to do that.  At age 40, it took me only 3 months - and I did it running uphill!
      Life really does begin at 40.  That is when people reach their endurance peak.  I am now 54, and in the best shape of my life.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image85
        Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

P.S.  STAY OUT OF THE NURSING HOME!!!  (I cannot elaborate over the web; just take my word for it!)

DEFINITELY!  GOOD WORDS HERE.  Stay as engaged as possible, adopt new paradigms!

2. profile image0
    Janice Hornerposted 2 years ago

I'm 64 this year, and still see myself as a young person.  I have been working with young people and they kept me feeling young with all the banter that went on.  I wonder if I will change now that my job was made redundant! I still see my young friends on a regular basis and that is helping. I keep busy, always on my laptop creating something!  Stick to a healthy diet and walk out every day. 

Old, I don't think I will ever be old!

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.  Keeping active and engaged in life is the greatest antidote to getting old.

3. Disappearinghead profile image81
    Disappearingheadposted 2 years ago

I think old age is a state of mind. I'm in my mid 40s but I feel like mid 20s, and when I look in the mirror I still expect to see a bloke who's 25. Or bodies may get old and lose some of the performance of youth but see little reason not to keep the mind young and active.

working