jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

how do you know if you are elderly ?

1. profile image44
    worldasiseeitposted 7 years ago

how do you know if you are elderly ?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

You are elderly when you think you are . . . (or when you are seeking a senior discount), otherwise you are as young or old as you feel.

3. profile image67
    OliviaMKposted 7 years ago

When you actually feel like you are less capable.  This can be physically or mentally, but their is always a way to improve the situtation - exercise.  It doesn't have to be the most vigorous exercise, but study after study has shown that we are actually getting older faster due to our sedentary lifestyles.

4. Scribe For Hire profile image59
    Scribe For Hireposted 7 years ago

I prefer the term "older adult" to elderly.

Elderly, to me, has very strong connotations of someone who is frail and incapacitated.  As we all know, there are many individuals who are not old that fall into this category due to health issues.

Many older adults are still very actively engaged in life.  They continue with many activities that they've enjoyed throughout their life and even have the desire to continue to learn and prosper.

Grandma Moses was in her 90's when she began to paint and there are individuals in their 80's who graduate from college.

I also believe that many of us get too hung up on age.  To repeat an old cliche, "You're as young as you feel." Get out and do as much as you can, while you can and don't use age as an excuse for not pursuing your dreams!  Many of us learn new ways of doing things so in essence, we compensate and adapt.

Did this answer your question or do you need more info?

5. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

You're getting old when the policemen all look like kids - they do.
    You get your bus pass - I have mine
    You get your old age pension - I have mine.
    When someone comes to buy your house calls you professor - it happened to me, a Chinese couple came to look at our house, the young woman, when she saw all my books said, 'professor'
    I said, 'far from it,'
    she said, 'in my country, when learned men, with lots of books reach a certain age:-) they are professors.'
    Even though I've reached that age to collect my old age pension, I don't feel old, a bit slower, perhaps, and I still hate the term, senior citizen, it implies importance, seniority has to be earned, it's not a right of knocking on a bit.

6. telltale profile image75
    telltaleposted 7 years ago

You are elderly when people around you are walking faster than you; you can get a discount for public transport and considered a senior citizen; your bones start to 'creak'; when your wounds take a much longer time to heal, etc.  However, age is considered a 'number', as some may say, when the heart feels young! LOL!

7. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

When girls one would like to hit on call you "sir".

8. LIFE IS ABOUT profile image57
    LIFE IS ABOUTposted 7 years ago

if you asked the question then you are. Every one thinks that someone that is ten years older than they are is old. when you were ten years younger did you think that someone your age now is elderly?