jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How have you dealt with a victim-mentality and changed your attitude for the bet

1. sharing the sky profile image66
    sharing the skyposted 7 years ago

How have you dealt with a victim-mentality and changed your attitude for the better?

It's quite easy to feel victimized when things in our life don't go as planned or we face challenging obstacles. Sometimes, feeling victimized is very subtle and other times it's very obvious. I'm curious to know how you may have dealt with this as it can lead a person into a state of being quite hopeless, depressed or feeling paralyzed with anxiety and fear.

2. Denise Handlon profile image91
    Denise Handlonposted 7 years ago

awareness.  Being aware that my 'mood' changed when I felt I was a victim...then, wanting to change it.  Observing what was in my control.  Making different choices.  Owning my part in the situation.  It transitioned into releasing the feelings that I was a victim.

3. lambservant profile image94
    lambservantposted 6 years ago

Oh yes. Big time. And the truth of it is, I was a vicitm. That being said, I lived in it so long I gave it power over my life. I learned that I may have been a vicitm, but i don't have to be a vicitm for the rest of my life. I can take my life back and be grateful I am not there anymore. Remaining a vicitm for too long (I am talking many years) turns into self-pity, depression, anxiety, and bitterness.

4. ar.colton profile image83
    ar.coltonposted 6 years ago

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia at 19 and in the first few years there was a lot of, "Why me?" But then I realized that it didn't matter why me. There was no why. The world is the way it is and no amount of feeling victimized is going to change that. Ultimately I am the only person responsible for whether my life is good or bad, by seeing it one way or the other.

5. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 years ago

In my case, it was "more of the same, piled higher and deeper" that snapped me out of it.  Having a pity party wound up attracting predators who saw an easy victim, so I learned to keep silent about areas where I'm vulnerable.
    Also, I learned that while I was victimized growing up in the ghetto, I had the advantage of a Christian education that led me to escape.  Everybody gets victimized in one way or another; what's most important is how you deal with it.

working