Between drug and alcohol addiction, which one is more destructive?

Jump to Last Post 101-150 of 160 discussions (160 posts)
  1. thebigbagblog profile image60
    thebigbagblogposted 12 years ago

Easily the one that is the addict's drug of choice. To sum up, either of them could be when they are abused!

2. kootheancheah profile image60
    kootheancheahposted 12 years ago

Well, if you're talking about addiction, I don't see any difference in their effects anyway-whether it is alcohol or drug. Both are equally destructive when a person becomes addicted. It destroys the addict physically, mentally, financially and also his immediate loved ones.

3. Morena88 profile image69
    Morena88posted 12 years ago

I've only known people who are addicted to alcohol, and I can tell you that it can destroy families emotionally and financially. I imagine any addiction can do this. It's not a matter of what the addiction is, but rather how it can be dealt with.

4. profile image0
    sealord00231posted 12 years ago

the both are of the same class of destruction, but for the sack of answer alcohol addiction is a bit better to drug.

5. profile image53
    eveningschoolposted 12 years ago

both the alcohol and the drug is destructive..

6. ACR21 profile image60
    ACR21posted 12 years ago

Both are very harmful and shoud be treated as such. These two addictions not only destroy lives but they cost a lot in monetary terms to treat. As most addicts are unisured it is causing a burden on al already overextnded health system.

7. Cat R profile image67
    Cat Rposted 12 years ago

I think it is a close call.

Drugs are often more severe, because they don't only affect the individual, but cause a lot of crimes.

Alcohol, because it is legal (and yes, I enjoy my Bier once or twice a year and maybe a glass of good wine or Whiskey once every six months or so), is far easier to get and widely spread.

Any addiction can have a bad impact on those involved. I personaly had a hard time slowing down on coffee. I didn't know that it was addictive until I had to go to a two-week training course and must have been worse than when my Ex tried to quit smoking.

Smoking doesn't only get the smoker sick, but those living around them.

Alcohol can destroy families, carriers, lives without the individual necessarily realizing it. And it takes a strong individual to walk away from it. I have a few friends that are recovered alcoholics and they turned out to become much stronger people I learned to respect very much.

Drugs are a horrible thing. If you ever see somebody you love waste away... And the people that get missused, hurt or killed in the drug trade...

Gambling can wipe out entire families and leave them homeless.

Food addiction can leave its victims with severe health issues and emotional scars; especially through the harassment suffered by others.

I spend a lot of time watching my children, praying that they will never fall victim to it!

8. stevarino profile image88
    stevarinoposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5621489_f260.jpg

First of all, alcohol is a drug. Caffeine is a drug. In our society caffeine abuse is more acceptable than alcohol abuse because it promotes constructive behavior while alcohol has proven that it promotes destructive behavior.

Statistically, I believe that alcohol is, partly because it is easier to blend into society without drawing undue attention. People with self-confirmed alcohol problems tend to be ostracized more while those suffering similarly due to another drug seem to be handled more gently by society.

On the other hand, since the revenue generated in the under-ground, illegal drug market disappears from the radar, there is no accurate way to tell how much is being drained into the black market.

At least with a Miller Brewing Company, for example, we have access to their profit & loss data, or we're suppose to by law anyway.

Any behavior is potentially destructive if it becomes excessive and out of control.

In my opinion, of course.
    Steve

9. Aceblogs profile image61
    Aceblogsposted 12 years ago

I believe any sort of addiction is destructive as the story says , enough of everything is bad , Hence self control is the biggest power which can make person shine in the dark as well

10. Toni Miller profile image61
    Toni Millerposted 12 years ago

I think that they are a tie. Why? Because when either of these addictions are running alongside your lifestyle, you put at stake, everything that you have. Your family, your job, your finances, your friends, and let's not forget about your health. Those were just to name a few. I do, however, agree, that these addictions are forms of disease, and the problem comes when the person who has the addiction, fails to realize it. When self-destruction is present, most times, only outsiders can recognize it. I believe that drug addiction, as well as, alcohol addiction can both make a lifestyle a living hell.

11. overzealous profile image59
    overzealousposted 12 years ago

let first start off and say both of them are destructive but with alcohol you have less control

12. diydiva profile image73
    diydivaposted 12 years ago

Drug is such a broad term, that actually includes alcohol.  When I hear the word drug I think Heroine, Meth those types of things, the super addictive stuff that has proven to ruin lives.  However, Alcohol can be extremely consuming and often leads to harder drugs.  Alcohol also accounts for a large number of deaths if you include those who were killed in accidents involving Alcohol.  Alcohol is also more readily available opposed to street drugs making its impact on lives greater, specifically teen and young adult.  So, to answer your question in a word, Alcohol.

13. Jacob_Jube profile image61
    Jacob_Jubeposted 12 years ago

Addiction of anything is dangerous my friend.

Whether its of drug or of alcohol.

You just need to choose which one helps fast destruction.

14. bambamnpebbles profile image61
    bambamnpebblesposted 12 years ago

Addiction is destructive no matter if it's drugs or alcohol or gambling. I think it depends on the person as to what they are addicted to, but not if it's more or less destructive. Normally if a person is addicted to either it destroys them. That why the fight is so hard, but so worth it.

15. Dear Nicole Reed profile image61
    Dear Nicole Reedposted 12 years ago

alcohol. Its not illegal and its more common to go out for a drink with than go shoot up heroin. It's easier and cheaper to get to. though heroine is hardest to get off alcohol is harder to not go to  anytime ur sad.

16. 88888888 profile image41
    88888888posted 12 years ago

Drugs can ruin a persons life alcohol is also destructive its like worst and the bad..

17. mrsolutions profile image60
    mrsolutionsposted 12 years ago

different names of killer but motive is same

18. JenJen0703 profile image77
    JenJen0703posted 12 years ago

Addiction is addiction, no matter what the person is using.  I am a recovering alcoholic, and I have had my run-ins with drugs in my earlier years.  Addiction is a drain of resources and money.  I have personally witnessed alcoholics and addicts go from being thriving, contributing members of society to homeless and having no income.  I have seen addiction take the lives of many close friends, and it is sad, but that is the results of the disease.  Alcoholism and addiction is a disorder that needs attention.  An addict/alcoholic rarely can beat their addiction alone.  AA/NA meetings are available to help people deal with addictions.

19. profile image53
    Magdalene1posted 12 years ago

It is very stressful for the parents especially when it goes unnoticed.
    Both are equally destructive.
    Ruins families, tears apart relationships which ends in financial frustration as well.
    Unless there is constant encouragement from the parents and teachers to have counselling, the drugs the person is addicted to or even alcoholism can prove to be deadly.
    A stitch in time saves nine, is a saying that goes well with this issue.
    And remember, all of you-adolescents-teenagers and young adults, Prevention is better than cure.
    Instead of listening to peers and going for drugs, it is better to listen to the adults who talk about it and educate yourselves about it and stay away from danger.
    Alcoholism slowly kills you.  It just destroys relationships and your beautiful future.

20. mariahbernt864 profile image60
    mariahbernt864posted 12 years ago

Emotionally, I think drugs are worse, because they can reveal what's hidden in a person's subconscious. This can be dangerous and lead to strong emotions that the  drug user is not mentally prepared for.

Money wise, I think it really depends on the drug/alcohol you drink. It could go either way.

Generational, drugs and alcohol are both horrible. They can tear families apart and ruin a babies health while in the womb. When they are out of the womb and are in an environment filled with drugs and alcohol, they will learn that it's okay to do those things or be physically affected by the chemicals/smoke.

21. SEM Pro profile image82
    SEM Proposted 12 years ago

I agree with eddiecarrera - addiction is addiction. Fundamentally it represents an escape from dealing with unresolved issues. Metaphysically it means invalidating oneself. If someone doesn't recognize or acknoledge their worth or value, addiction will only exacerbate those feelings. Generational cost is an interesting addition because feelings of unworthiness can often be attributed to not being valued as a child, thus the emotional void.

Unfortunately many need to hit their "rock bottom" before they're willing to recognize or act on the fact that they may need help to change or deal with yesteryear's issues and let them go. We're all worthy but getting out of the cycle of co-dependence is the same as anything else - we have to want to first.

22. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

Any addiction is destructive not only for the addicted but the addiction also affects family and friends.

23. profile image0
    Saugasfinestposted 12 years ago

It really depends on the drug vs alcohol

Normally i'd jump to say alcohol, but that would be comparitive to marijuana use. But in a debate between cocaine use and alcohol, i'd imagine it would be really close.

24. Arlynne16 profile image58
    Arlynne16posted 12 years ago

obviously, both are destructive but just to satisfy you with your question, for me, drug addiction is more destructive. Alcohol addiction is somehow controllable and is not that really a threat compared to drug addiction.

25. profile image0
    Rosemary Banksposted 12 years ago

Thank God I haven't had any of these problems in my life and from the outside looking in, it appears that drugs are the worst.

26. profile image52
    Amoney7posted 12 years ago

Addiction is not something you can give a rating by the specific drug you endure. One may be addicted to herion and have they funds to support it and live a normal life what it seems as another individual could b addicted to something less harmful as marijuana or alcohol but not b able to support their addiction and resort to violence crime and bingeing when they do come across their fix. Therefor addiction is equal but the addiction inside ones self is completely unique to the person beside them...

27. lawyerblog profile image58
    lawyerblogposted 12 years ago

For me it's both because they have the capacity to destroy life.

28. Josie Cleoford profile image60
    Josie Cleofordposted 12 years ago

I vote for drug addiction, because it has a severe effects to our nervous system.

29. mwilson007 profile image62
    mwilson007posted 12 years ago

I have been an addict for almost 20 years. Addicted to everything from Alcohol to heroin and everything in between. Addiction consumes every aspect of your life.. physically, emotionally, monetarily, socially, etc. You no longer make decisions based on anything that makes logical sense. You make selfish hasty decisions that ultimately cost you your self respect and the respect of everyone else. From my experience, the price I paid was equally costly from both.

30. goego profile image80
    goegoposted 12 years ago

the question is... How destructive is the person and what do they have access to

31. robertgibson profile image59
    robertgibsonposted 12 years ago

id have to say for experience from my past it would have been the drugs. but i am not doing drugs any more so i dont know but id say drugs

32. greatstuff profile image91
    greatstuffposted 12 years ago

Destructive to your loved one will be both drug and alcohol. Destructive to oneself, will be drug as, I assumed, the destructive stage is faster.

33. YellowOC1 profile image58
    YellowOC1posted 12 years ago

This is a tough question - both can be very destructive and have the same impact on your family and loved ones. I guess it really doesn't matter which one is worse?

34. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I'd say it depends on the drug. Really I don't even think it's a good idea to seperate drunk and alcohol addiction. They share many similarities. We only draw distinctions because alcohol is legal.

35. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 12 years ago

Drug addiction and alcohol addiction are equally destructive. Each one is horrific. I know because I have suffered both.

36. Marcy-Lipton profile image61
    Marcy-Liptonposted 12 years ago

alcohol is a drug,

but out of all the drugs I'd say that alcohol is the most UNIQUE.

because alcohol is a socially accepted drug. Its readily available. People drink when they are both sad and happy. Its played an important role in ancient history, current history and myth.

Its romanticized in several books, movies and music. Clinteastwood and whiskey. Sex and the city and cocktails etc.....

And it's downward spiral is longer than lets say crack or heroin,

37. profile image51
    Don Dibertposted 12 years ago

Either can be devastatingly destructive.  It all depends on the circumstances And, what drug you are speaking of.  Some may argue that perhaps the least disruptive of all would be Marijuana.  However, there are those that will argue that it is only a gateway to stronger drugs and, alcohol abuse.  Again there others that will argue that it does not necessarily lead to other experimentation.  Further, there is the argument that it has medicinal benefits.  On the other hand Some Alcoholic beverages also offer medicinal benefits like wine for example.  However ONLY in moderation!  Some claim that beer has some health benefits when used in moderation.  Meaning less than three beers a day.  IF being the operative word there ie;  IF used in moderation.
       Of course there are some drugs like Crack that are almost instantly addictive and, become a major disruption overnite (so to speak)  You see, Crack is extremely addictive.  Taking this drug will make you want to go get more the first time you try it.  An extremely dangerous drug.  But, this is by design by those that created it.  They want you to buy more.  They make a living banking on the fact that the first time you buy it you will go buy more thus, they make more money.  Alcohol is less addictive than is crack.  So, you could theoretically experiment with alcohol and, not become addicted to it the first time.  However, those with an addictive personality will become addicted the first time they drink.  The thinking there is "hey that was fun lets go do that again"  The other side is the hangover which makes one say "OMG I feel like shit"  "I will never do that again"  So, maybe it's a few days before you begin to forget how bad you felt and, try it again.   The best advice I have for you is simply never start any of these bad habits.  I promise you that you can have more fun in life living with sobriety than you can with any drug or alcohol!!  Does this help?

38. William Norman profile image59
    William Normanposted 12 years ago

A DUI/DWI can destroy your life in a single day, even if you are not "addicted"... Alcohol is the easiest thing to test for.  I would say alcohol.

39. disujaalbart profile image56
    disujaalbartposted 12 years ago

Both are injurious to health... But drugs are more harmful than alcohol.. It depends upon the quantity which we takes..

40. farmvillefcu profile image57
    farmvillefcuposted 12 years ago

Actually both are addictions and they're really bad to health. But I would rather considered Drug addiction as more destructive in terms of effect compared to alcohol addiction. drug addicts tend to  commit crimes and eventually killed people  when the're in the high influence of drugs hover, for alcohol addicts, the effect is not so serious,  I got a chance to observe in a study between the two cases and the result would manifest that the drug addicts are very dangerous.

41. shadowprancer profile image61
    shadowprancerposted 12 years ago

I would say both are destructive because with both the user becomes dependent on the drug and their life falls apart.

42. profile image52
    mikey51posted 12 years ago

ALCOHOL IS A DRUG PERIOD !!!!  there is no difference addiction comes in all forms. You can be addictied to soda crackers makes no difference. Words from a recovering ADDICT!!!

43. profile image36
    LORD ENKIposted 12 years ago

The most destructive is the CHOICE made with FREE WILL to abuse it in the first place!I've never met an alcoholic or drug addict that had a gun held to there head being forced to do it.Most of them have all kinds of excuses and no reasons for there self imposed misery.No it is NOT a disese.untill it was called a disese there was no funds available for research.Once the surgeon general called it a disease there was all kinds available.THEY CHOOSE IT.SIMPLE AS THAT!

44. rajan jolly profile image92
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

Both destroy the person who becomes a slave to them, though it may vary in the intensity and time period taken.

45. Nicole 75 profile image57
    Nicole 75posted 12 years ago

Both are destructive but according to me drug is more harmful.

46. Lastheart profile image66
    Lastheartposted 12 years ago

Any type of addiction is destructive...for the addict as to those who are around.

47. WillisGusherowski profile image58
    WillisGusherowskiposted 12 years ago

I think drug addiction has the potential to be much more destructive, but it depends on the individual. Since drugs are illegal, you are more prone to violence, and also, since drugs are more expensive, you would most likely run into financial trouble quickly. Alcohol addiction, however can be worse in the long run, since it wears away on you more slowly, and being more "cost-efficient". Overall both are very destructive and you should consider the short and long term effects of each to analyze the destructiveness in more detail.

48. davenmidtown profile image67
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

Would really depend on the drug... heroin like alcohol you never lose the craving for... the rest are rehabable... but heroin and alcohol... you fight every day of your life...  My answer to your question would be alcohol.. or alcohol and heroin used together or singularly... are the most destructive.

49. phoenixarizona profile image64
    phoenixarizonaposted 12 years ago

I had to answer this one, could not walk away from it as a matter of fact.
    My Name is Phoenix Arizona and I am an addict.
    I was addicted to marijuana use and abuse for six years of my life. I spent far too much time thinking about it, trying to get it, working out ways to pay for it than I did living and enjoying my life or addiction.
    I am now entering my 7th year of being sober, but I am still an addict.
    I did not try and fill the void of my addiction with anything else, but I smell the stuff and I start thinking about it again.
    I am not proud of the fact that I have branded myself as an addict nor will I ever be.
    Addiction is addiction and it is the largest flaw within the human psyche. It never matters what anyone is addicted to, wine doesn't make you drink it, heroin doesn't make you inject it. Addiction is destruction.
    Neither is worse than the other, they are one in the same.

50. edhan profile image39
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Drug is bad and definitely will destroy your health and life quicker than alcohol. But that does not necessary means it is more destructive. It will depend on individual as both are quite addictive. But drug is hard to get rid of the habit than alcohol as alcohol is mostly consumed more when depressed over your love or something.

I guess we should all stay clear of either one of them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)