jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Does stress make you feel sleepy?

1. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

Does stress make you feel sleepy?

sounds a bit funny but it happens to me. I don't easily get stressed but when I do I feel really sleepy.

2. Brightonbreezy profile image61
    Brightonbreezyposted 6 years ago

I get tired after I've felt stressed, I think because all my adrenaline has been used up!

3. jacqui2011 profile image83
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

When I am stressed, I usually get really tired and lack energy. I'm sure its like BrightonBreezy says that it's because all the adrenaline is used up and leaves you feeling listless.

4. LailaK profile image78
    LailaKposted 6 years ago

I feel really exhausted when I am stressed as well! I think that is is related to the body's internal imbalance during stress since we get Adrenaline rushes and drops.

5. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

good to know i'm not alone ... thanks for answering guys.

6. Taleb80 profile image81
    Taleb80posted 6 years ago

Yes, when I get stressed I would like to sleep. I think it is kind of escaping from the reality, But I think it is not good for health.

7. athena2011 profile image59
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

Sleepiness or wanting to sleep are symptoms of stress. Fatigue, or loss of energy, can be a symptom also if you are over exposed to stress.

It's important that you learn ways to relieve stress as it can have a negative impact on your health and potentially your life. This is the area I focus on in my hubs so have a look and hopefully you will  learn a lot about how to relieve stress.

8. Lor's Stories profile image60
    Lor's Storiesposted 4 years ago

I think mental stress makes me sleepy. The phone ringing, waiting on the phone.
    Trying to work around schedule  to make everyone happy ( which you can't)
    And trying to tie it up in a neat bundle makes me tired.
    Even if it is good news like a visit from a friend you need to be ready for their arrival. Is the house clean, is the bathroom clean.. We make theses check lists in our head,
    And our brain which deals with stress and emotion located in the lower part of the brain sends us signals to STOP!
    I think that is why people are sleepy now.
    The brain is the highest form of technology. I think it gets jealous because we rely too heavily on our phones, pads, gizmos and gadgets.
    If we listen to our brains which I try to do, we will be kind to ourselves and take a nap.
    Our brains are wired to tell us when too much is just too much stress.
    Babies aren't stressed yet. Unless they figure out a way for them to be attached to a mobile device.
    Sleep is a natural way to cope with stress.
    We sleep because of the natural rhythm in our brain called the circadian rhythm.
    Without it I think stress would kills us.
    Tune into the rhythm of your brain when you are stressed.
    Tune out ITunes and iPads and take a nap!

1. arksys profile image92
      arksysposted 4 years agoin reply to this

thanks Lor... i always give my mind/body first priority... if it needs a nap it will get it.. smile
      it just seemed a little weird that you feel so sleepy as soon as stress kicks in. smile
      thanks for your input. smile

2. Lor's Stories profile image60
      Lor's Storiesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I just had major surgery last year on my skull.
      And still healing. So that may answer the question.

3. arksys profile image92
      arksysposted 4 years agoin reply to this

sorry i didn't mean you as in you personally... i'll rephrase...

it just seemed a little weird that some people (including myself) feel so sleepy as soon as stress kicks in. smile

I wish you a speedy recovery.

working