jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Should I bother exercising in the run up to Christmas?

1. plussize-lingerie profile image61
    plussize-lingerieposted 6 years ago

Should I bother exercising in the run up to Christmas?

I know that Christmas itself is going to the usual series of binges, because it's one family/friends get together after another, so does it really make any difference if I keep up my exercise regime in the few days left before Christmas?

2. Kris Heeter profile image79
    Kris Heeterposted 6 years ago

I always encourage my clients to do so - not so much for the physical aspect of it but more for the mental aspect.  Holidays can be stressful and exercise releases endorphins in your body that keep you "feeling good" emotionally and keeps the stress level down!

3. profile image0
    MP50posted 6 years ago

Yes you should keep exercising up to christmas and after christmas.

Then you can enjoy yourself for a few day'.

4. Ludivine profile image61
    Ludivineposted 6 years ago

You should, you 'll be able to eat during the Holidays without feeling too guilty smile it's always a good idea to incorporate exercise in your daily routine.People are way happier when they feel good physically and mentally and exercise provides both. Happy Holidays!

5. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 6 years ago

Yes, I would still exercise as much as possible, and I would do my best to eat healthy.  Yes, we usually eat more then normal during Christmas time, but we should still try to "behave".  smilesmile

6. MosLadder profile image85
    MosLadderposted 6 years ago

Absolutely! For all of the reasons listed below, but also to retain the habit. But, instead of looking at it as an exercise regime, take this time to have as much fun as possible with the experience. Do something ridiculous (but safe!) Examples? I don't know, for me it might be joining the kids for Just Dance 2 on the Wii or going for a run in my pajama pants (eliminates that time-wasting getting dressed thing :-)
    Forget the regime and just start moving; warm-up and throw it all together.

7. mikejhca profile image91
    mikejhcaposted 6 years ago

Yes.  It makes a difference.  Exercise is a good way to reduce stress and it will give you more energy.  If you stop exercising you will probably get cravings for junk food.  So there is a good chance you consume a lot more calories than you would if you continued to exercise regularly.  If you go back to exercising you can get rid of the extra fat but you probably will not feel like exercising.

I like exercising but if I stop I do not feel like I have enough energy and willpower to start up again.  Another thing to consider is that most people never fully recover from the extra weight.  The extra weight is still there the next Christmas when they put on more weight.  That is why some people become a little heavier each year.  It does not happen to everyone but it does happen to a lot of people.

8. tswilson profile image60
    tswilsonposted 6 years ago

Definitely. The Christmas binges are understandable, but you'll feel a lot better about them if you have kept up with your exercise up to that point. Maybe even exercise extra before Christmas to cancel out things a bit.

9. Melissa McClain profile image69
    Melissa McClainposted 6 years ago

As others have already said, yes it's a good idea to exercise leading up to (and it goes without saying, after) Christmas!  The psychological benefits have already been mentioned but they shouldn't be ignored.  The average person gains two pounds over the holiday season. If working out keeps you from gaining those extra two pounds, then you'll be much better off.  Also, working out isn't an all or nothing thing.  You can take it easy over the holidays as family visits, cooking, parties, etc. will likely have you busier than usual. Cutting it out completely though may make it all that more difficult to start up again when New Years rolls around.