Which do you prefer, "Spring forward" or "Fall backwards"?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Which do you prefer, "Spring forward" or "Fall backwards"?

Personally, I love "Spring forward" as I get to drive my commute home after work during the daylight!  Plus, after I get home, I can walk my dog during the daylight!  Eventually, I will get to spend several hours outdoors in my garden until 8:00 p.m. of daylight after arriving home from work.  So, which do you prefer ... to Spring forward or to Fall backwards?  Thank you for answering.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8803855_f260.jpg

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image81
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years ago

That is good to have more daylight but I sure love that extra hours sleep in the fall! Also it means holidays are coming!

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is hard to choose, but I like the extra daylight, I guess because I miss most of it inside an office all day!  Hugs

3. writinglover profile image79
    writingloverposted 10 years ago

Boy, I kind of like both. When we fall back, I get to sleep in an extra hour, but when we spring forward, I, too, love the extra daylight.

Yes, I am all for that extra hour of sleep, but I hate driving home in the dark!!!  Although, we have the same amount of time, it seems like I just do not have enough time in the Fall. But I do love the holidays coming.

4. NornsMercy profile image60
    NornsMercyposted 10 years ago

Falling backwards! It just seems like the days are longer. Plus, when it's that time of year, it's my favorite time of year. big_smile

Thanks for answering NornsMercy.  Yes, it is a lovely time of year indeed.

5. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 10 years ago

Spring forward big_smile. The days get so short, dark and depressing soon after "fall back." I love winter when I can get out and play in the snow, but I NEED sunlight. We don't get full dark here until 10:00pm in the summer, but it's 4:30 in the winter

Yes, that is why I love Spring forward due to the long days of daylight and doing extra activities outdoors.  Yes, it is 4:30 p.m. when it is dark here in the winter too at first, and I need sunlight!

6. profile image0
    Bob Bambergposted 10 years ago

Spring Forward!!!  I love the fact that there's still daylight after dinner.  It also gives my spirits a much needed boost because it means we're just about out of winter.  To Jackie's point, switching to Daylight Savings Time also means holidays are coming...Memorial Day and Independence Day are my two favorite holidays. 

I love the shows of patriotism, and appreciate the chance to pay respects to my fellow veterans, to remember those who didn't come home or who aren't home right now, and then to enjoy the parades, barbeques and carefree family time made possible by their service.

When it's time to "fall back," it's a time when the world has turned brown and grey.  Trees and shrubs are bare, lawns lose their brilliant green, the sun is lower in the sky and doesn't shine as brightly, and we're facing  the next few months of being bundled up and shuttered in. 

Shortly after we "spring ahead" we're opening doors, windows and sliders...and enjoying the feel of warm breezes and the sounds of nature (and, I suppose, traffic) wafting through the house.

Daylight Savings Time rocks!!!  But I could be wrong smile

Ah, yes, Bob, you have describe it so well.  Those are all the reasons I love Spring Forward for sure!  Yes, this time has wonderful holidays too and I love the sun for the extra hours of fun outdoors!  Yes, it rocks indeed!  Thank you for answering!

7. Lauren Amy Smith profile image59
    Lauren Amy Smithposted 10 years ago

Has to be fall back purely for the extra  hour snuggling in a warm cosy bed on a cold morning smile

Hi Lauren Amy Smith, thank you for answering.  That extra hour of snuggly time pretty nice.

8. Dee aka Nonna profile image60
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 10 years ago

There are so many reasons to like Spring forward (1) much more safe if out at night (2) those who work can get things done while it is still daylight (3) family cookouts, etc., but I still would like to see standard time return (probably showing my age here....LO)L  But, daylight was naturally a little longer during summer months anyway.  My body clock gets all out of whack twice a year, and the older I get the longer it takes for me to re-adjust.  Also, I am one of those "early riser" people....and, that means early to bed.  It is still daylight when I'm thinking about sleeping, and really very dark when I get up.

Oh well....it was a fun question to answer.

Hi Dee aka Nonna, I do love Spring and all that it entails for sure.  As I truly do not like driving in the dark all the way home during the week!  It does get harder as we age no doubt about it!  I am glad this was a fun question for you!

9. Sparklea profile image59
    Sparkleaposted 10 years ago

Hi Dear Friend Faith Reaper!
    FALL BACKWARDS!  FOR SURE!

That being said I heard on the radio three days ago how Daylight Savings affects people in a negative way.  There are more traffic accidents from sleep deprivation and more heart attacks after daylight savings.

I pray no one finds this offensive, but I wish that Daylight Savings did not exist.  I wish whoever put this in place would realize it is messing with our biological clocks.  I personally feel Daylight Savings is totally unnecessary.

Even if the clocks were left alone we would still get more light at night eventually.  I love the fall back because it puts the clock where it was meant to be in the first place.  Springing forward we LOSE an hour of sleep, it messes up our digestive system, AND our bowels...especially if people are biorhythmic...and are used to a certain time of day...and have to be to work.
    Since I am no longer working it does not bother me half as much, and it is easier for me to adjust.  But those who are always rushing as their daily routine, I would guess springing forward would be aggravating.

I don't mind it getting dark sooner...it is God's natural order of things...and He DOES lengthen the days in the Spring...but man cannot leave it alone...I feel they are rushing it by wanting MORE light by springing forward.

I hope I have not offended anyone with my opinion, Faith, but this is truly how I feel.  Thanks for a great question.  Blessings always, Sparklea
    smile

Hi Dear Sparklea, wow, I did not know all of that, but I still get up early and Springing forward does not seem to bother me, as I go to bed an hour earlier.  I love NOT driving all the way home an hour in the dark! Then to be able to be outside too!

2. Sparklea profile image59
      Sparkleaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am with you 100 percent about driving in the dark...I don't like it either.  I'm so sorry you have that long commute.  God bless dear friend. Sparklea smile

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Thanks Sparklea, I wish they made the reply space to the great answers longer.  You should write a hub about your answer about Daylight Savings Time, even though I love Spring forward.  God bless you too sweetie

4. profile image0
      Bob Bambergposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ladies...you're all nuts.  Daylight Savings Time lasts for 5,664 hours and you lose one of 'em.  What if you got interested in a TV movie and stayed up an extra hour?  Oh, the horror of sleep deprivation!  You're not nuts, just messin with ya smile

5. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi  Bob, I do not feel deprived of sleep as I go to bed when I am tired. I love Spring forward lol...so you are messing with the wrong person : ) we all like different things and that is okay. Now, I am going to enjoy my long day! Blessings

10. B Lucy profile image61
    B Lucyposted 10 years ago

I jump for joy when I spring forward!!! Longer days, eating dinner on the deck, time in the evenings to enjoy the beautiful outdoors. My list is absolutely endless.  What's not to love?!!!

Whoo, you know it B Lucy!  I am with you on all of that ... My list is endless too.  Exactly, what is there not to love?  Thank you for your enthusiastic answer!

2. B Lucy profile image61
      B Lucyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow!!!  Thanks so much for the honor, Faith!!!

You're welcome. You were just so enthusiastic about it! You expressed how I feel about it.

11. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 10 years ago

I prefer fall backwards. I enjoy the extra hour of sleep. When we spring forward the extra hour of daylight confuses me. It's later than it actually seems. I go to bed early (9:00) so it seems there's no wind down time from activity to bed time.

Hi Sha, thank you for answering.  Yes, 9:00 is actually 8:00 to your body. It is a bit of an adjustment. For me, since going to bed at the new time is actually an hour earlier, I do not miss out on any sleep, but that is just me.  Blessings

12. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Neither!

I'd prefer they eliminate "daylight savings." Even the name is a lie. It would be much better if businesses merely changed their hours, if people want to change their hours.

Living in Arizona, I was glad to be rid of this nuisance. Now, living in the Philippines, I don't have to be concerned with this artificial, bureaucratic junk. And now, I work at home. I get all the daylight I want whenever I want.

Thanks lone77star, for sharing your thoughts here.  How interesting and glad you are in a place to get want you want out of life.  Blessings

13. David Carl profile image60
    David Carlposted 10 years ago

I like Spring forward because it sounds more positive. Who wants to Fall backwards? You only want to do that when you are trying to show members of your team that they can trust you? Take America as an example.

Hello David, thank you so much for answering.

14. Edward J. Palumbo profile image84
    Edward J. Palumboposted 10 years ago

Having sprung forward, I'd be delighted if we left it this way and didn't juggle the time every six months!

Hello Edward, Me too! Let us just leave it one way or the other, and as is obvious, I prefer the Spring forward!

15. profile image57
    Jesusvuposted 10 years ago

When first adjusting to Spring Forward I hate it because I feel like I'm missing one hour of sleep and can't fall asleep earlier. But once I get used to it I like the fact that daylight is still out when I get out of work on the weekends. When its fall/winter I hardly see any sunlight. Sometimes I fear turning into a vampire!!

Hello Jesusvu, oh, yes, those first few mornings are an adjustment, but I just love the sun still shining when I leave work and get to do things outdoors after arriving home. Yes, many people get that winter depression from not having enough sunlight

16. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 10 years ago

I prefer to fall back. Sleep...more precious, luxurious, beautiful, splendid, delightful sleep. I'd trade more daylight for more time to sleep any day!

Hello MysticMoonlight, I love your hubber name, and I predicted your answer when I read your name : ) ... That hour in the morning is nice, but I just love those extra hours of sunlight during the evenings to be out and about. Thank you for answering

2. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Faith Reaper. You're very kind smile

Oh, you are so welcome, MysticMoonlight. Hey, tomorrow is Saturday, so maybe you will get to sleep in a couple extra hours! Have a great weekend.

17. Kalmiya profile image66
    Kalmiyaposted 10 years ago

I think we need to do away with this artificial time construct altogether and just stick with the time that it is!

Hi Kalmiya, yes, that would be nice for the time to just stay the same all year. Thank you for answering.

18. kerlund74 profile image79
    kerlund74posted 10 years ago

I love the spring forward! Like you i stay outside  for many hours, and beeing able to do that is fantastic. In summertime it is light longer than till midnight, wonderful times. The best is that it's in front of us right now:)

Hi Kerlund, yes, it is those extra hours of daylight in the evenings which are truly enjoyable. Yes, it is upon us!  More time for outdoor fun. Thank you for answering.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)