jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How do you break procrastination?

1. KrystalD profile image80
    KrystalDposted 6 years ago

How do you break procrastination?

2. Apple Guy profile image60
    Apple Guyposted 6 years ago

You just have to try, there is something called homeostasis, things always want to stay the same. It's like stretching a rubber band, the more you stretch it, the more it wants to spring back into it's original shape. However, with a great effort you can stretch the rubber band so far that it breaks, then it'll be very hard for it to go back to it's normal state.
    I think of procrastination like that.

There as old joke you might find funny;

Somebody called me a procrastinator the other day,
    I didn't know what a procrastinator was so I thought I'd look it up in the dictionary,
    Not straight away though.......!

3. jacqui2011 profile image83
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

It's easy to put off the more difficult tasks, but it takes determination to get through these tasks. I write myself a "to do" list every day and work through it in the order I set out. This was one of my New Years Resolutions and its working so far. (even though it's only day 4!!).

4. MarleneB profile image96
    MarleneBposted 6 years ago

I am a procrastinator, for sure. In fact, I put off answering this question for about an hour; it's true! I think I procrastinate because I don't like feeling like I have to do things on other people's time. I like to do things in my own time, when it's right for me. That's probably a character trait I was born with, because I have been that way all my life. But, how I break procrastination is to write down the things I want to do and then next to each item, I place a date and time by which I want to do those things. That way, I can do things when I feel like doing them (so long as it's done by the time that I specified). It keeps me from disappointing myself and others.

5. jeyaramd profile image75
    jeyaramdposted 6 years ago

Procastination is the thief of time. Create a plan to complete tasks within a reasonable time frame, including items that you likely procastinate. Then try to be in the present moment executing those tasks. You won't have time to worry about whats next. Live in the now. And set daily targets like your life depended on it. We procastinate tasks which we associate to negatively. We wouldn't procastinate watching our favorite shows on demand. Because we enjoy them. So, its we tackle things we don't like; as we would tasks assigned to us at work. I am sure your workplace wouldn't tolerate that. Your life is your corporation and you are CEO. If you cannot find the emotional interest in doing something then run the job like you would a business transaction. And put a checkmari, beside the task on your list of tasks. A mobile app would be perfect for this like the one I have reviewed on my hub. Great question.

6. denisemai profile image72
    denisemaiposted 6 years ago

Hmmm...I don't know. I'll have to think about it and get back to you later.

7. teamelite21 profile image58
    teamelite21posted 6 years ago

The best way to break it is to get up and do what you are putting aside.  Once you do this time after time, it becomes easier to "just do it" the next time.  So basically, you need to "just do it" so much, that it becomes second nature.  And trust me, it will if you stay committed to it.

8. KrystalD profile image80
    KrystalDposted 6 years ago

If you are anything like me, you have times when procrastination paralyzes you completely into non-action! Sometimes, when approaching a task, I find myself distracted. Why write a report when the dishes need cleaning? Why clean the dishes when my... read more