jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Can depression make binge eating worse? It seems that there is no agreement on t

1. Hendrika profile image83
    Hendrikaposted 6 years ago

Can depression make binge eating worse? It seems that there is no agreement on this.

Binge eating and depression seems to go hand in hand or is it just my perception? As eating disorders are so prevalent I think it is something we need to think about.

2. profile image0
    Marie Brannonposted 6 years ago

It seems to me that depression is an excuse for binge eating, rather than a reason.  Those of us who have that compulsive/addictive disorder eat when we are elated as well as when we are depressed.  We overeat when we celebrate and we overeat when we commiserate.

So in the same sense that elation can make binge eating worse, then depression can do the same.  But for me, nothing is MAKING it worse except my inability to admit that I am powerless over food.

3. brielise profile image59
    brieliseposted 6 years ago

I don't think that's necessarily true. I kind of did a flip flop. In high school when I was depressed I could go days without eating and I would binge eat when I was happy. I think it was the stress that was often tied with depression and turned my stomach into knots that made the thought of food repulsive. Now that I'm older and more likely to diet, I tend to want to binge eat when I'm depressed and essentially forget to eat when I'm happy. I'm not sure when this change occurred or why, but I've been a little down since I haven't been able to find a job and it was a struggle not to down all those leftover Christmas cookies in one sitting.

4. mbwalz profile image90
    mbwalzposted 6 years ago

It would make sense to binge when depressed as your body needs serotonin.

Bingeing usually falls into the category of carbs which help provide serotonin. Best is, if you "binge" on high quality, whole carbs- balanced with good protein and some fat. Also, exercise will help provide the brain with a good "high." Of course, all of this is good on paper, but harder to do when in the depths of depression.

But having a prior plan may help.

I wish I'd understood this as a teen when I was a very active bulimic!

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Of course there is no agreement. Each person is different and respond differently to depression. For example, when I get depressed I don't eat. For a year and a half, I was depressed and lost 25 lbs. I found a new boyfriend and moved into a new place where I was no longer depressed. Because of that, I gained 30 lbs.

6. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image60
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 6 years ago

Binge eating is a subtype of Anorexia Nervosa, an eating disorder. Anxiety disorders often occur together in persons with eating disorders. That means depression or compulsive obsessive can co-exist in a person with an eating disorder--making the treatment of the eating disorder more complicated.

Binge eating, could contribute to obesity and then lead to depression and result in more serious consequences. Its a cyclic process that can prove tricky and delicate for treatment.

7. rawnuke profile image58
    rawnukeposted 6 years ago

I think so, if one finds comfort in food and one is uncomfortable - what other choice is there?

8. carol3san profile image61
    carol3sanposted 6 years ago

I think binge eating and depression could go hand and hand.  But as someone has already pointed out, this is not always the case.  Some people get depressed and don't eat.  In fact, some people get so depressed they forget to eat.  The opposite occures when they are happy, or maybe just a little stressed, but not depressed.

9. rookie57 profile image58
    rookie57posted 6 years ago

I think the first question that has to be asked is WHY is the person in question binge eating in the first place?

10. Jaz Rosado profile image59
    Jaz Rosadoposted 6 years ago

Yes, for some it will, for others it may not.  Binge eating is a habit that most don't even realize they have a problem with eating at all.  For some while being depressed eating is another habit that they pick up.

11. EclecticFusion profile image77
    EclecticFusionposted 6 years ago

Yes, I think depression makes binge eating worse, but I'm only answering this from my viewpoint. I tend to eat comfort foods when I'm depressed and most of my comfort foods are not very healthy. My favorite is Ruffles and M&M's. Of course, after all that binge eating, I feel even worse because I feel like I've done something wrong. There's a high while consuming those empty calories, but remorse after the fact. It's a never ending cycle.

12. Dr Bill Tollefson profile image84
    Dr Bill Tollefsonposted 6 years ago

I believe that binge eating would get worse when depressed because "depressive thoughts" are about 'anger about self performance" or "Not good enough" and a person would turn to eating to find emotion comfort. Eating becomes their only action to fight back at the depressive thoughts or both depressive thinking and binge eating are thought addictions.

I have found that every addiction starts with a thought and binge eating is an addiction. Unfortunately was the addictive behavior stop; the person is still left with the thought that cause it in the first place.