Do you nap?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (36 posts)
  1. EclecticFusion profile image67
    EclecticFusionposted 12 years ago

Do you nap?

I have hypothyroidism which makes me tired a lot so I take naps a few times a week. Some people think nap-takers are lazy. Your thoughts?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6060859_f260.jpg

2. KrystalD profile image66
    KrystalDposted 12 years ago

I love a great nap. I don't seem to do it much these days but I am a fan of it!

3. KrystalD profile image66
    KrystalDposted 12 years ago

graur codrin What do you think of when you hear the term “napping”? Most people immediately think of children. But what about adults that nap? Though there are many misconceptions about adults that nap, it can be a healthy habit. Before choosing... read more

4. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I have insomnia and my schedule is all screwed up. There are people who do nap during the day who should not be. But when it is a medical issue, people who criticize you for napping should be ignored. Ideally, you should only sleep at night. But:
    You cannot be dragging around all day. You cannot function either if you are exhausted.

A friend of mine from choir has to take medication for her thyroid problem. Unfortunately, it is in capsule form, so it cannot be split into smaller doses. As such, after she takes it she is flat on her back asleep for three hours. That is not being lazy. That is her needing to take of her thyroid or risk having her circulation so bad her hands are freezing in the middle of summer.

5. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 12 years ago

No I don't have time to nap - but to each their own and people shouldn't judge what others do or need to keep themselves healthy.

6. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I'd quite to be that kind of person, but if I fall asleep I'm pretty much out for the count. My Father used to nap every single day and it worked for him. For me though, if I'm alseep for 15 minutes and then have to get up again... well that's my idea of a nightmare!

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Naps can be one of life's greatest pleasures.  I've read that if they are not too long, they can be very healthy for a person.  I love a good nap but usually if I lay down during the day, I cannot let go enough to fall asleep--but every once in a while it happens and is lovely.

No, I don't think nappers are lazy unless they nap rather than get the things done in their lives they need to get done.

8. Codebreak profile image70
    Codebreakposted 12 years ago

naps are good and when the body asked for it they are a necessity. I take naps but I had to cut down even if I'm tired for if I do then I can't sleep at night. So now my "naps" are 20 min of closing my eyes and meditate and then I'm refreshed and can sleep a bit longer at night. Difficult anyways with Fibromyalgia to sleep at night anyways.

9. Leaderofmany profile image61
    Leaderofmanyposted 12 years ago

I nap about 3 times a week if I am not working, on weekends I may lay down for a little while. I have good reason, I get up anywhere from 3am to 430am and got to bed about 9pm or 930pm.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I've started taking a nap every afternoon. It makes me feel very energized. I think more people should try and take naps. I also have hypothyroidism.

That said, my naps are usually very short. More like "cat naps"

11. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

I personally love naps.  They are a good recharger.

12. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 12 years ago

I nap sometimes-about once or twice a week.  I have IBS, a digestinal problem, which can really drain my energy, making me feel really tired.  I do not think all nappers are lazy, it depends on your reasons.  For me, its related to a health condition.

13. otsipaku profile image80
    otsipakuposted 12 years ago

I try to avoid naps, because I have trouble falling asleep even without napping. Otherwise it is quite impossible to fall asleep at night.

Used to do powernaps though - about 15-30 minutes half-sleeping half-awake. Helped a lot for some time.

14. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 12 years ago

Of course.... I have been a nap taker for many years.  My naps are usually not intentional....LOL.  I will sit to watch something on TV...the news or a favorite TV program and end up allowing the TV to watch me sleep.  I always wake feeling like I really needed that nap.  Intentional or not taking a nap is wonderful.

15. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 12 years ago

I've never liked going to bed. My family are all the type to fall asleep as soon as they lie down. Not me. I have been in bed the whole night and not gotten to sleep. It's very aggravating. I don't think of it as insomnia, I just keep thinking and never shut off. So, I can be really tired in the morning. I love working from home cause I can have a nap. If I get tired or feel like a zombie, I just pull out my trusty old sleeping bag (it's the warmest blanket) and I have a nap.

16. Seeker7 profile image82
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

You're not lazy at all. I take a nap most afternoons as I feel a huge benefit of renewed energy. I like to stay up late and get up early in the mornings, so having a late afternoon nap is necessary for me.

17. tiagoz profile image55
    tiagozposted 12 years ago

Actually no I don`t. Even though sometimes I realy feel like doing ti

18. tigerbaby777 profile image81
    tigerbaby777posted 12 years ago

ABSOLUTELY!  When I can.  Nap sleep is the best sleep in the world!

19. DougBerry profile image81
    DougBerryposted 12 years ago

I nap virtually every day.  It virtually eliminates all the time I would normally spend dealing with other people.

20. LawrenceS profile image65
    LawrenceSposted 12 years ago

I love naps, I have had some of the best dreams while taking naps!

21. Tmonica profile image62
    Tmonicaposted 12 years ago

I love taking a nap, usually only for an hour though because if I sleep more then that I seem more tired.

22. CeeGunn profile image71
    CeeGunnposted 12 years ago

Yes! I just woke up from one actually!  LOL
    Napping makes me feel refreshed and awesome. I wake up ready to take on more tasks.
    Of course it's not for everyone. I've heard some people say they wake up from napping even crankier than before.

23. Maddambutterfly profile image75
    Maddambutterflyposted 12 years ago

I never nap and have never been able to sad
    I worked with a woman in her 60's who looked wonderful and she took a nap everyday during her lunch hour. She swore it kept her stress free and youthful!

24. profile image57
    shorty72posted 12 years ago

No I sometimes take a nap your body knows when you need a nap so it tells you if you don't realise it. When I am laying down watching tv I will nod off for 10 or 15 minutes . Then when I wake I feel so much more refreshed.

25. Sturgeonl profile image82
    Sturgeonlposted 12 years ago

I am so glad to hear that there are many nappers out there. Yeh, I'm not the only one who loves a short power nap in the day.

26. sarahmkirkpatrick profile image61
    sarahmkirkpatrickposted 12 years ago

I try not to nap unless I had little sleep the night before. I always feel guilty for wasting the day away. We spend 1/3 of our entire lives sleeping if we sleep 6-8 hours a night. I want some of that life back! that's more then 20 years!

But I also believe that if my sleep was not great the night before and I am dragging, it is important to rest up so that I can spend my awake time living life to the fullest.

(that being said, I go to bed at 3 and wake up at 1 on my days off... so I am not really making great judgment calls on my sleep)

27. Swetankraj profile image61
    Swetankrajposted 12 years ago

Yeah! nap is not bad. I use it in afternoon after my lunch and feel good. Its necessary to energize you body nap is a best option. Sometime you wouldn't get lots of time to sleep or take full rest nap is easier and it will give you amount of energy for doing work. I do not have hypothyroidism. Its not a lazy thing. When your body needs rest it will automatically send the brain signal that it need. Nap is best option you could get!

28. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 years ago

Not as often as I'd like to! I have two very active children who keep me on the go so a nap is a rarity.

29. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

napping is quite restorative....i try to 'power' nap...about fifteen minutes; if i sleep longer, i feel dragged out...that is just enough time to get me rested and perked up for the rest of the day. many days i do not get my nap and i always feel over tired when i retire for the night.

30. profile image60
    krissy72posted 12 years ago

I don't take naps myself not to say I wouldn't like to. I usually can't find the time plus I'm kind of person that I have trouble falling asleep. I have insomnia and sometimes go days without much sleep

31. teachertalking1 profile image62
    teachertalking1posted 12 years ago

No, I personally don't nap because I feel like I've missed something when I sleep during the day!  Weird huh?  I'm sorry that you have the condition of hypothyroidism - not sure I've ever heard of it before.  If the nap makes you feel more refreshed and energetic, then I think that's great!  We all function with such unique requirements in regards to food and sleep.  You seem to have found what works for you, so I wouldn't worry about what others think!  LOVE your picture of the cat!

32. mvaivata profile image61
    mvaivataposted 12 years ago

I am a terrible napper.  My naps always turn into full-blown, out-for-the-night, sleep.

33. kriZna profile image59
    kriZnaposted 12 years ago

I alwayz lop to taking nap. I'm make me feel better.

34. sueherb profile image60
    sueherbposted 12 years ago

I try not to. I always seem to feel worse when I wake up.
    However, I am well known for falling asleep on the couch in the evening while watching T.V. That feels awesome!! Lol

35. Adventure Colorad profile image77
    Adventure Coloradposted 12 years ago

I think it depends on the person, if I try to take a nap, it usually takes me a long time to fall asleep, then if I don't sleep for at least a couple hours I end up feeling more tired than before the nap.  As a result, I rarely take naps.

On the other hand, I have family members that can sleep for 20-30 minutes and feel completely refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the day.  So I don't think the nap taker is lazy unless they are spending a large portion of the day sleeping.

36. Janis Goad profile image75
    Janis Goadposted 12 years ago

I love to take a nap when I have a day off.  I am really busy during the week and don't always get enough sleep.  Sometimes I lie on the floor and do a restorative yoga practice or yoga nidra guided meditation practice for deep relaxation, and that is refreshing too.  Other times, if I am beat I just go to bed and sleep.

I don't think nappers are lazy.  I think it's good to allow shorter sleep and wake cycles if that's what works for your body, as long as you can still sleep at night.  We are tuned through our pineal glands to a cycle of being awake when it's light and sleeping when it's dark.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)