jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Being a CNA for 12 years. I wonder how hard is it to become Hospice for both of

1. Dee42 profile image78
    Dee42posted 6 years ago

Being a CNA for 12 years. I wonder how hard is it to become Hospice for both of my parents?

Been working in a Nursing Home that long. And this is my first job. I need info about the Hospice Life.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 6 years ago
  3. rclinton5280 profile image75
    rclinton5280posted 6 years ago

There are two sides to this. I recently lost my father to cancer, and attempted to do what you are suggesting. There will be a limit to how much care you can provide being only one person. There is a team of people at the hospice that help things be more comfortable. Unless you get a lot of additional medical training, you won't be able to provide the medication usually given to people in hospice situations. The hospice life is all about making the patient comfortable as they pass. In my case, they gave my dad a butt load of pain medication and they were not trying to prolong his life at all. That's the bad side. People go to the hospice to die, and they help them along to it subtly. It was apparent that no one there was interested in prolonging his life. Make sure they are beyond return before you take them, but I am not sure if you can handle the last stages alone. It is extremely difficult. May God bless you all through this time. Take care.

4. Dee42 profile image78
    Dee42posted 6 years ago

Oh, thankyou rclinton5280... That really helped me, especially about the prolong life part. Im going into this blind.  That gave me some ideas on about pain meds ect.  Her blood count is low and she has to get these god- awful shots that give ya flu symptoms.  You don't know how thankful I am to all the great people like yourself on here on HP.

5. cherylone profile image93
    cheryloneposted 6 years ago

Dee42, I lost my mother to cancer in June and they just placed my Aunt on Hospice care.  I would say that you might not want to provide their hospice care because it is already hard to see them slowly fade away.  Hospice helps to care for them, stays with them when you can't and gives them comfort.  I was truly appreciative of the Hospice for my mother and know that my Aunt is in good hands.  Take the time to be with your parents and when Hospice is needed, let them give you a much needed break.

working