Are protein supplements bad for kidney stone survivors?

1. soni2006 profile image79
    soni2006posted 6 years ago

Are protein supplements bad for kidney stone survivors?

2. kjrzeek1 profile image68
    kjrzeek1posted 6 years ago

Just like anything you are putting into your body too much protein can have negative effects if you do not have a balanced diet. One study from the American Academy of Family Physicians noted that high animal protein intake is largely responsible for the high occurrance of kidney stones in the United States. So what I say to you is that as long as you are varying the sources of your protein and are eating correctly, plenty of fiber, fruits and vegetables, you can consume plenty of protein supplements.  The great thing about protein supplements is there are so many different types of protein to choose from you can change as often as you want.  You can take a soy protein supplement, as well as a variety of lactose free whey and casein proteins to keep up the variety.  Also fish is a great way to get loads of protein without all the fat fro red meat.  I hope this helped.

3. artist101 profile image70
    artist101posted 5 years ago

I have not read any articles stating that they are. Amino acids, which are what protein supplements are derived from, are hard on the liver. Most kidney stones are an accumulative effect of uric acid, which alcohol, and rich food contributes to. The diet should be rich in magnesium, and calcium, green leafy vegetables.And water,to flush the kidneys. Gout and kidney stones are closely related to each other. As both are uric acid, just in different places. Some, stones are calcium, so therefore, calcium supplements might present a problem. If the body is too acidic, it will leach calcium out of bones, resulting in stones. The suggested supplement to rejuvenate the liver is milk thistle. So, it might help if you are concerned. See my article http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/natur … ney-stones For more help on treatment, and prevention, of kidney stones.

working