jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is the best way to tell your boss you can't work a 40 hour week anymore bec

1. Ruby H Rose profile image75
    Ruby H Roseposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to tell your boss you can't work a 40 hour week anymore because of your health?

2. Jlbowden profile image91
    Jlbowdenposted 6 years ago

Simply be up front and honest with your employer and tell them of your health condition. And it may be also beneficial to get a note from a doctor who may be handling your particular issue and bring it to your employer for documentation purposes. This will certainly give your boss some justification of why you cannot work a full 40 hr work week.

Jl

3. Catzgendron profile image73
    Catzgendronposted 6 years ago

I agree with Jlbowden answer.  Also find out about the family leave act.  Since this is a health issue that is causing you to need the time off you should be eligible.  I believe this also negates them being able to let you go.  Good Luck!!

4. Vanessa Anderson profile image60
    Vanessa Andersonposted 6 years ago

Just be honest, and don't beat around the bush.  Have a meeting with them and just explain the situation.

5. donnaisabella profile image78
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

Give him a heads up that you have something you need to discuss with him so that he knows it is important. Then when the time comes, let him know like you would a member of your family. Best wishes to you.

6. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 6 years ago

I would be firm and polite. If you feel that you can work fewer hours let them know. If you don't believe that you can work at all or may be able to work from home, say so. Being honest about the situation and giving them the opportunity to move forward without any problems is best.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I would start by getting a letter substantiating that from my physician.  With that in hand, I would have a meeting with my boss.  Be open and honest about what is going on.

8. jacqui2011 profile image84
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

I did a similar thing at the end of last year. I spoke to my doctor first and he was very sympathetic. He wrote me a letter to give to my employer. I arranged a meeting with my line manager and we talked over the situation for an hour or so; I handed him the letter from my G.P. as back up. After a few weeks we had a follow up meeting and it was agreed on both sides that I would reduce my hours from 40 per week to around 20 hours per week. I had to work one month full time until they got someone to work the other half of my shift.

If you talk honestly and openly about your situation, and back it up with a medical letter from your doctor, they should do their best to accommodate you. Good luck.

working