jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why Do We Dream - Reasons Why We Dream?

1. Shil1978 profile image91
    Shil1978posted 6 years ago

Why Do We Dream - Reasons Why We Dream?

2. RandomThoughts... profile image78
    RandomThoughts...posted 6 years ago

"A dream uninterpreted is like a letter unread."
    I have been doing a lot of research on this topic for my consciousness class at college. There are so many theories out there as to why. I say why not? Our unconscious is talking to us and helping work out problems and ideas we may miss when our Ego gets involved. There is a lack of control when we sleep. Our defenses are down and our mind is allowed to talk to us about the things we are unwilling to look at (our shadow selves) or is giving us clues as to what is really going on in our lives. Those pesky insecurities, fears and emotions that we deny ourselves of expressing throughout the day need somewhere to go. Many people can lucid dream (be aware of dreaming) and utilize this talent to ask the questions that can decipher what our dreams are trying to tell us. Many can even have fun in dreams and try things they would not or cannot try in waking life, such a flying. Since the laws of gravity or any others for that matter don't apply in dreaming life, it is a whole other world to get to know yourself just a little better...Hope this helped a little. The book Lucid Dreaming by Waggoner is a great read for more information on dreaming. Good luck

3. Denise Handlon profile image91
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

Great answer from RandomThoughts.  The usefulness of dreaming was my senior research paper in my undergrad studies and there are physiological experiences that lead to dreaming as well as the unconscious thoughts that come through when the mind is at a 'resting' place.  Dream activity comes when the brain waves reach a certain alpha waves.  If you are not in REM you won't create the dream images.  It is a fascinating study and I would encourage you to learn more if you are curious.

4. LisaKoski profile image95
    LisaKoskiposted 6 years ago

I just wrote a hub on this topic in response to another person's question that was similar yesterday: http://lisakoski.hubpages.com/hub/Why-W … Come-True. I think the theories behind why we dream is fascinating. RandomThoughts seems to have covered most everything but in case you wanted to read more, my hub might help.

5. Sue B. profile image97
    Sue B.posted 6 years ago

An explanation of dreams and what purpose they may serve. read more