jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you strengthen your vocal cords?

1. Crissylite profile image75
    Crissyliteposted 5 years ago

How do you strengthen your vocal cords?

2. dmop profile image76
    dmopposted 5 years ago

I practice singing all the time. In the car, in the shower, in the asile at Wal-Mart ( my kids hate that one), pretty much anywhere and everywhere. It works for me.

3. jeyaramd profile image75
    jeyaramdposted 5 years ago

Practice, Practice as often with a professional. Sing in the shower if you have to. You just have to experiment with different methods. I enjoy singing in the swimming pool. Obviously, when no one is around. Great question.

4. MarleneB profile image97
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

I was a worship leader for many years. My advice is to sing, sing, sing, and sing. The more you sing, the stronger your vocal cords will become. Sing anytime and anywhere. People will get use to it. smile

5. LailaK profile image78
    LailaKposted 5 years ago

I certainly think that singing is the best thing to do, but I think that it's more important to do vocal exercises and warm ups before singing. If you look up videos on vocal excercises on youtube, you will certainly find helpful materials. I hope this helps!

6. relawshe profile image73
    relawsheposted 5 years ago

The vocal folds (commonly known as vocal cords) are not muscles, they are mucus membranes, so technically, you cannot "strengthen" them as you would strengthen a normal muscle. 
    But yes, singing and vocal warm-up exercises will definitely help them stay loose, and training them the hold different notes will certainly make you a better singer and get your vocal folds used to that type of use.  Just don't overdo it!  Folks like professional singers, sport coaches, auctioneers, and radio announcers, etc, can have lots of issues with their vocal folds growing vocal nodules, which result from over-use.  These nodules can impact the tone and quality of your voice, and may likely need surgery to remove them.  So train your vocal folds well, and warm them up well before singing, but don't overdo it!

working