jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can a flu shot be bad for your health?

1. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 5 years ago

Can a flu shot be bad for your health?

The government and main news pushes adults to get flu shots. However, then we hear and read flu shots can be risky. When is it too risky and for whom? How do adults, those not yet in their senior years, decide whether to get one or not?

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

If you're allergic to chickens, eggs or feathers, you may be advised not to have the flu shot because it's based on eggs.

There are a few die-hard anti-vaccination crusaders who are against all immunisation, but so far I haven't seen any proper research which even suggests the flu shot has any other risks attached for adults.

3. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

I have heard some medical professionals say that some people need to avoid them because they may be allergic or it may not even help.

4. Amy Becherer profile image72
    Amy Bechererposted 5 years ago

This is a question I debate with myself every year.  I have confirmed autoimmune disease that has resulted in a chronically low white-cell count.  I relented and took every physicians advice to get the flu vaccine twice in my lifetime.  The last flu shot I acquiested to taking, whether coincidental or not, resulted in the reactivation of shingles near my eye shortly after administration of the vaccine.  I developed shingles once before when I was younger. My second bout with shingles took several months of anti-virals to resolve.  Shingles is extremely painful and can result in blindness when it occurs near the eye.  Since the consequences of shingles,  which I have now had three recurrences of,(the last followed an extensive dental procedure on that side of my face) carry the possibility of blindness, I no longer subject my depleted immune system to the flu vaccine.  I believe there are still unknowns regarding medicine and a blanket statement advising everyone to get a flu shot can carry consequences for a select group of individuals.  The majority of people have no problem and it is a proven preventive for major epidemics that can result in deaths.  It definitely serves a worthwhile purpose.  However, there are individuals with health issues that make the flu vaccine (depending on factors related to its composition from year to year) detrimental to their state of health.  I have the feeling that it is easier, since the majority of the population benefits from the flu vaccine, to exert authority in preserving the good of the majority by issuing a "no holds barred" blanket statement.  Ultimately, those with pre-existing, debilitating conditions must educate themselves and make their decision based upon their known state of health.