How Do You Feel About Flu Shots?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (32 posts)
  1. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12750911.jpg
    Six days after allowing my Doctor to talk me in to a flu shot guess what happened?  That's right.  I came down with the flu.  I've heard that if this happens it means we already have the virus and the shot just accelerates the process.  Doctor warned me that because of my age I need to protect myself. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this subject.  Thank you.

1. profile image0
      Snakesmumposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Like you, my doctor persuaded me that at my age the flu shot was a good idea.   That was several years ago now, and I'm still glad I took his advice.

Not only have I not had flu, but I've noticed that I seem to have less attacks of the common cold since having the flu shot.

I would say that whether or not you are in favour of the shots, is completely subjective.   Last year, my GP offered me the pneumonia shot also, and I decided to go ahead with that too.   It doesn't need to be repeated, to the best of my knowledge.  I'm all in favour of preventing illness before it strikes!  :-)

1. SheilaMilne profile image91
        SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, on all you say!  I've always accepted it since they first offered it. I was given the pneumonia shot a few years ago too. I've never had any problems and definitely fewer colds.

2. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I had no bad reactions to a flu shot. Usually I am very sensitive to pills and potions. Even the shot itself was painless

3. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The first year I had the shot I did contract influenza, yet not since - 2000. I don't remember if before the season or during. I do not know which one I had then as there is not just one. Today, I have one aimed at the 65+ crowd, although 61. It was first recommended to me after diagnosed as diabetic. I was then 46. They emphasized that I smoke, have a history with pneumonia, and contact with many people all day at work that may be infected.

4. Au fait profile image84
      Au faitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The Asiatic flu was the big deal when I was in the first grade.  My father insisted we 3 kids still at home get the shot as it was an epidemic that year.  I came down with that flu as the result of the shot and was extremely sick for about 2 months.  Missed a lot of school and nearly died. 

When the Swine flu was the issue about 30 years ago now (the first time) lots of people came down with it and some died.  My oldest sister got that shot and it made her sick.  She was lucky because lots of people died from that flu in her city that year.  It was believed at the time that the shot was at least partly responsible for the seriousness of that flu that year.

I never get the flu shots.  I figure if everyone else gets them then no one will have the flu to pass on to me.  I have had the flu once for sure, and maybe twice since I was in the first grade.

Have had one cold in the past 2 years and I'm out in the public sphere all the time, 7 days a week for at least 12 hours a day..  I really think the reason I all but never contract colds, etc., is because I take a minimum of 1000 mg of vitamin C. daily.  During cold and flu season I take 1500 mg of vitamin C.  I like the chewable tablets that are 500 mg each and I spread them out over the day taking one tablet every 8 hours.  This is the only thing I did different and as a result have remained healthy while all around me are sneezing and coughing and carrying on with whatever they have.

Three years ago I was in the same circumstances, out in public daily for hours,  and was sick for months with a cold and coughing.  I wasn't taking the Vitamin C then.

1. mattforte profile image87
        mattforteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is such a dangerous, ignorant way to look at things.
        With the flu it isn't that big of a deal (By the way, the flu vaccine doesn't make people immune, it makes them resistant, and often is only mildly effective)..but that same mentality is causing an surge in illnesses once thought to be nearly eradicated.

Whooping cough has over the last couple years killed THOUSANDS of children because of a mentality like that, and the very false autism claims.

5. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Audrey, I've never gotten a flu shot. I heard it makes you sick. At age 58 (quickly approaching 59) I've only had the real flu two or three times in my life. I think those are pretty good odds. I have no faith in today's medicine. Most pharmaceutical remedies come with too many side effects that I'm not willing to risk. Besides, once the flu hits, only time cures it.

6. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have the flu shot every year with no problem. One year, when I had flu and pneumonia at same time, I did have a reaction, so I never get two together. My physician advises me to have the shot. It often scares me, but I do what I am told by medical people. I know people who did not have the shot who got violently ill. One issue is that the shot is not fully effective for two weeks. Audrey, do you think that may have happened?. Also, the shot I got this year covers only two strains, as I was afraid to have the stronger shot. I am sorry this happened to you. Good luck, and be well.

2. Kristen Howe profile image91
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

Before I had my open-heart surgery, 3 years ago, I've always taken the flu shot. Even after my surgery, I still take it. I did get the flu one time after I've gotten the shot, the same time my mom did. I'm getting my flu shot this weekend.

3. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 8 years ago

I always turn down any flu shots when the doctors ask me. I just don't think they are necessary (and while  there are a number of strains the shots often are only effective for one strain.) It works for me!

4. profile image0
    Bob Bambergposted 8 years ago

I don't take the flu shot and, so far, have dodged a bullet.  I did take it a couple of years ago when my daughter-in-law was pregnant, and the day after I felt kind of "flu-ish" (sort of wiped out) but that was the only side effect and it only lasted the day.  My wife gets the shot each year, though.

5. saadida za profile image60
    saadida zaposted 8 years ago

maybe because I'm living in a 3rd world country or maybe just because I'm a bit paranoid but I don't trust medications at all and specially shots,

6. greenmind profile image94
    greenmindposted 8 years ago

[face palm] then I guess you're getting the flu...

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I knew several people who claimed that they got the flu, and felt awful after getting the shot.  My husband heard the same stories from different people.

So, we both resisted, and resisted for years, refusing to get the shots.  We never got the flu.

However, after my husband became a heart failure patient, the doctors told him it would be very dangerous for him to actually get the flu, and strongly urged the shot.  Then, I had to get it as well, both "on account of my age," and so I would not get the flu and pass it to him.

So, we broke down and got the shots.  I was peeved.  He only got the flu shot and the shingles vaccine.  I, who am paranoid about needles and a big wuss on shots, ended up getting 4 shots; the flu, the shingles, the pnueumonia and a tetanus booster!!!  Boo Hoo!

We have not gotten our shots yet this year--and again--he is due for only the flu shot, and I for the flu and another pnueumonia shot!!! WTH???

(But--we did  not actually get any flu symptoms--and I had a sore arm!)

8. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I take a pass on flue shots.  There is a lot online about the dangers of flue shots in the US.

9. profile image0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

Since reacting to the flu vaccine, I have not had a flu shot. I have not had the flu since.

1. Elsie Hagley profile image71
      Elsie Hagleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, The same thing happens to me the only time I had one I seemed to have the flu all that winter, that was about five years ago, I don't have it now and never get the flu.

10. Genna East profile image81
    Genna Eastposted 8 years ago

Good question!  I'm on the fence regarding the flu shot.  I came down with a nasty cold last year after getting mine.  But this year, I also caught the flu before I had received the shot...so I'm interested in hearing other's opinions and info. :-)

11. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

My wife and I were advised to have flu shots some years ago because one of our grandchildren has a low immune system. The first year I contacted the flu soon after the shot, but now we have the shots every year and rarely get sick. If we do come down at all it isn't as severe and doesn't last long.

12. mattforte profile image87
    mattforteposted 8 years ago

You can not get the flu from the flu vaccine.

I'll say it again.

YOU ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, CAN NOT GET THE FLU FROM THE FLU VACCINE.

This isn't bull, it is real science. Anybody that has studied physiology will tell you the same thing.

--------------------------------

Now, for the people that are going to come fully armed and ready to go - here's the science.
    When you have the flu, most of the things (not all) you feel are not caused by the flu itself....they are caused by your body's REACTION to the flu, trying to fight it off. This is the case with most illnesses.

Some people can get a flu shot and not bat an eye. Some people's bodies overreact a bit. It is a reaction to the shot, and it can give you "FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS" (aka: not the flu).
    This is not contagious. This will not kill you. It is your body's own defense system trying to fight off what it THINKS is the real flu.

A little lesson on immune systems.
    Your body carries "antibodies". These are the cells that fight off infections of various sorts. When your body encounters a new bug, the reason you get sick before you get better is because your body originally doesn't know how to fight it off. So you become infected. As your body tries to fight it off, you get all the nasty symptoms of the illness, and eventually your body figures it out...kills the bug...and you get better. Your body is now better equipped to fight it off if you encounter the bug again later...because it has now developed the antibodies whose sole purpose are to fight that specific bug.
    This is why you get sick more as a child than as an adult. As you go through life, your body gets more antibodies. This is the definition of "building up your immune system".

The flu shot stimulates this process. While you aren't "infected", your body recognizes it and thinks it is a live virus and creates the antibodies necessary to fight the infection....this way when the real flu comes along, you are much more likely to kill the bug before it spreads throughout your body.

The real bug has the potential to kill you (Particularly for people with weak immune systems). The vaccine does not. Because it doesn't do anything. It just...floats around until your body destroys it.
    This is also why it is important for children and the elderly to get the flu shot. Even on bad years (I think last year was only 12% effective or something to that effect) it is increasing their chance of survival if they encounter the bug.
    Yes, they may "feel sick"....but they are not. And it is better to "feel sick" for a few days than to actually get sick and DIE.

For healthy adults, the flu shot is not necessary. Especially if you're one of the folks that has a reaction to them. (After all, you may not even encounter it - making it pointless)

And this is a very elementary rundown of how your body's immune system, and the flu vaccine work.
    So I'll say it again.
    IT IS PHYSIOLOGICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THE FLU FROM THE VACCINE.

If you think otherwise...you are wrong. Just 100% wrong. You are basing it off of something that you simply do not understand, then spreading misinformation. Stuff like that needs to stop, because the misinformation being spread on the internet is costing people their lives.

13. greenmind profile image94
    greenmindposted 8 years ago

YES thank you.

14. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 8 years ago

What do I think about 'flu vaccines?

Why would I want to put anything in my body (or my children's/dogs'/cats' bodies) that would interfere with our natural healthy immune system. Catching the odd cold is good for immunity, and I only ever had 'flu once in my life. Not worth the risk.

1. mattforte profile image87
      mattforteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't interfere with a healthy immune system. It boosts it. It creates antibodies you didn't previously have.

HOWEVER. You are partially exactly correct. If you do in fact have a healthy immune system, you don't need the shot. That is precisely why people with strong immune systems are not urged to get it. (While it doesn't give you the flu, it can cause flu-like symptoms - and if you are already unlikely to contract the flu there is no point in putting yourself in a situation where that might happen)

So, you are actually doing the right thing by not bothering. But as age catches up to you and your immune system begins to waver...that will be the time you will start needing the shot.

15. profile image0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

Sadly I may not have a choice in winter 2016. This (southern) spring I have been diagnosed with rapidly deteriorating rheumatoid arthritis. It is, of course, a condition that attacks the auto immune system. I will have to wait and take the advice of my rhuematologist and GP.

16. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 8 years ago

My first answer is ambivalent.  However, 2-1/2 years ago when my latest grandchild was born with a hole in her heart and clogged artery, she had to have open heart surgery at age 3.  We were advised if we wanted to see her we had to have a flu shot and Whooping cough.  I gladly complied and had no adverse affects.  I have to admit though, I haven't had one since.

1. tillsontitan profile image81
      tillsontitanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Age 3 was supposed to be day 3!  She had the surgery when she was three days old.

17. lisavollrath profile image88
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

I never get one, because I don't need it. I don't have any underlying health issues. I work at home, so I'm not exposed to large numbers of people every day. I have a hyperactive vegan immune system, so I don't get sick very often.

Every year, my doctor asks if I want the shot. Every year, I remind her I didn't get sick last year, and she shakes her head, and says I really don't need it.

18. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years ago

I have the flu shot every year and I got the flu, but it was mild, maybe it was mild because of the flu-shot. I will be getting my flu shot on the 24th.

Anyone who does not want the shot has the option of refusing to get one.

19. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 8 years ago

Hi Audrey!  Sorry you got sick after your vaccine:(   Ever since our daughter started pre-school, my husband & I both began getting shots annually. (We are older than most parents ourselves and had parents with health issues, so we needed to avoid getting sick.) One year when there was a shortage of vaccine, I skipped the shot. When I had to take care of my sick child, I came down with a terrible case and never want to be that sick again. It's the muscle aches, high fever, and lingering cough that make it so miserable and dangerous for some people. True influenza can be very serious. All three of us get the vaccine every year.

20. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

I get the shot because while I have only every had the flu once, it was horrible -- OMG terrible with joint pain and I felt like I might suffocate.  Anything that reduces the chance of that happening again is good for me.  And as it reduces my chance of passing a potentially lethal disease to my workmate's babies and elderly parents, well, that is kind of important too.

21. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 7 years ago

I have not received a flu shot since I was a kid. And, I don't think I will ever want to get one.

My mom and dad both got the flu shot, and they both ended up getting sick a week later. My mom got over hers, but my dad ended up going into the hospital for a week.

I used to be sick quite a bit when I worked for Meijer. But, since I have not worked there, I rarely get sick at all. It's been almost 7 years since I left Meijer, and I have only been sick a few times. Though when I worked there, I was sick more than 4 or five times a year. I used to get bronchitis and ear infections constantly. I'm sure it was from all the snot nosed kids that came through my checkout lane every day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)