How can you develop an allergy to something later in life?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image81
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

How can you develop an allergy to something later in life?

Can someone who had no known allergies as a child develop an allergy to something as an adult? If so, how would that allergy manifest itself?

2. daisydayz profile image86
    daisydayzposted 5 years ago

Hi I'm not sure how it happens sorry, but it may be that the underlying allergy had always been there, they just wernt subjected to a high quantity of the substance. I myself have always had a dislike of the taste of pepper, but not until last summer when I was 23 and was filling pepper shakers at work did I have an allergic reaction. up to that point I had only been subjected to the odd small quantity in food and stayed away from anything heavy in the taste as I simple thought i disliked it. When I did react, i had a burning throat, nostrils, lips and a tingling in my tounge, plus watering itchy eyes. Not knowing what was happening my boss sent me to a chemist nearly the pub I work in to ask for some help. The pharmastic said it was an allergic reaction but couldnt understand how I got to the age of 23 before knowing I had the allergym, I told him I hated the taste so didnt eat it, and he said that that was my bodies way of rejecting it due to the allergy. I later found out my grandmother had a bad allergy to it also so thats where mine probably came from.
    I had had allergy tests in the past for other things but it had never been flagged before. No more pepper cellars for me!!
    I know that an allergy happens when the cells think the forign body is harmfull or attacking it and reacts to destroy it by secreating histamine. I have written a hub on Hayfever allergies which I assume are the same basics as other allergies if your interetsed.
    Hope this helps a little

3. maggieju profile image61
    maggiejuposted 5 years ago

This is because for some reasons, someone's immune system changed and it reacts to harmless substances that it did not as a child.

working