jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Do you believe that so many people are taught to strive for just being mediocre

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Do you believe that so many people are taught to strive for just being mediocre and average instead

of fully utilizing their utmost potential?

2. mariexotoni profile image95
    mariexotoniposted 5 years ago

yep. I do. I think that people who are already striving are taught to strive more. People who perform averagely aren't.. encouraged to do better. Like that people don't believe in them, so they don't believe in themselves kind of thing. Wish this sort of attitude would change.

3. Earth Angel profile image75
    Earth Angelposted 5 years ago

Good question gmwilliams. I think in the U.S. the standards have lowered in the last two decades. I'm not sure people are "taught to strive" for mediocrity as much as people are taught that their mediocre attempts are really excellent. People who genuinely pursue excellence are now negatively labeled "perfectionists."

4. Dr Billy Kidd profile image92
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 5 years ago

Lots of people don't even know what the word strive is except maybe when crusing, out looking for some drugs,

Babies get good food for a year an a half, for instance. You know, mushed up fruit and vegatables. Then, at 2 years they get french fries: patato, grease, and salf. That teaches them to just say scew it to good health and striving for anything.

1. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is so true.  There are so many parents out there who are too indolent to teach their children.  They believe that the job of parent is that of being an incubator and their children by some sort of osmosis should teach themselves.

5. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

First you have to find someone who believes in you, then you start to believe in yourself and then maybe, just maybe you are brave enough to reach for stars...

6. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 5 years ago

Yes, although I don't think it's implicitly taught. But this society has cultivated a culture of immediacy, doing things that require less work and opting for the easy way out.

We don't challenge our kids (and adults), we give them all A's even though they don't know diddly squat, we push them through school – despite their not being prepared – so schools can keep their funding and ranking for graduating students in a decent amount of time, and we encourage them to come up with ingenious ways to post a video on YouTube, get a trillion followers and become famous.

And let's not talk about the entertainment industry; this is the only industry where you don't     have to have a degree! Very clear why this is the devil's playground.

So with all this ease and mediocrity at everyone's disposal, why work hard?

But if we continue at this rate, things are only going to get worse.