jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Is there a difference between the flu and the common cold?

1. AustralianNappies profile image78
    AustralianNappiesposted 5 years ago

Is there a difference between the flu and the common cold?

2. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Yes.  There is.  The viruses that cause each are different.   The common cold is generally associated with the Rhinovirus, although there are a number of other viruses that can cause the common cold as well.  The "flu" is caused by an Influenza virus.  There are also a number of upper-respiratory infections that are neither the common cold nor the flu, and that are caused by yet another group of viruses.

AustralianNappiesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your info about this!

3. profile image0
    Janhornerposted 5 years ago

You bet there is!  I had flu just once in my lifetime and never want history to repeat itself!  It came out of the blue with a banging headache, feeling sick, then the aching  started.  I had to go to my friend and ask her bring my son home from school and I then got hold of my husband because I thought I was going to die!

The doctor came out and told me I would feel better the next day and I remember saying, "No I won't because I'll probably be dead."  That's how ill I felt.  I'm not a cry baby either because I have had pneumonia three times and have very little recollection of the first five days on all occasions and fought my way back to good health, even though I had four children to look after!

The common cold these days is far worse than it was in the 60's & 70's because it has so many other ailments  that come with it.  Normally I shake these off within a few days. 

Looking forward to reading more replies.

Jan
    p.s. A really good question you have put forward because there will be many different answers.

4. adam-kash profile image60
    adam-kashposted 5 years ago

Yes, there is.

Colds and flu share some of the same symptoms such as sneezing, coughing or/and sore throat. but their treatment is different..
    Common cold can be caused by more than 200 viruses, Symptoms develop over one or two days and gradually get better after a few days. Some colds can last for up to two weeks. (mild fever, runny nose, tiredness and headaches)
    Flu is caused by either influenza A or B viruses, usually comes on much more quickly than a cold and it can be more serious than the common cold, and the symptoms are ( sudden high fever, dry cough, feeling of exhaustion and muscle ache)

although sometimes cold can be sever and prevent you from doing your work, it doesn't need any medication as it goes by itself after a week or two.

unlike flu, it needs medication, because sometimes it can be serious and cause serious health problems - if left untreated.

interesting fact: Antibiotics can't cure viruses such as flu or cold, it only works on bacteria..   most people take antibiotics when they are having cold or flu, and wonder why they aren't feeling any better!! well, here's the answer smile

hope that answered your question

have a good day!

AustralianNappiesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's very interesting to know about antibiotics! Thanks.

2. adam-kash profile image60
      adam-kashposted 5 years agoin reply to this

you are very welcome

5. dreamdamodar profile image73
    dreamdamodarposted 5 years ago

Yes. There is a lot of difference between flu and the common cold.

6. starbright profile image84
    starbrightposted 5 years ago

While both are similar, they are totally different in that the virus that causes each of them is not the same.

Everyone seems to have got this covered from cause, symptoms and treatments and I can't add very much more to it.

7. dingyskipper profile image65
    dingyskipperposted 5 years ago

very much so the flu can kill you for a start. There is a saying here that if you think you have the flu ask yourself " If I looked in the garden and saw a fifty pound note, would I get out of bed and fetch it?"
    If the answer is yes you just have a bad cold!

working