jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Which vitamins can be harmful to people if not taken properly?

1. K9keystrokes profile image92
    K9keystrokesposted 5 years ago

Which vitamins can be harmful to people if not taken properly?

New studies indicate that a possible risk surrounds taking vitamins.

2. MargaritaEden profile image75
    MargaritaEdenposted 5 years ago

Actually there are a few studies that have been done, you can search for some of those at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/guide/, national center for biotechnology. A lot of vitamins actually can be harmful if not taken properly. Niacin and vitamin A are some of the examples.

3. profile image0
    Sarah Hurstposted 5 years ago

An important thing to remember: just because something is a naturally occurring vitamin or mineral doesn't mean that access quantities of it won't hurt you. The USDA put together a great list of harmful supplements. Here is the link to the pdf:
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/wicworks/WIC_Le … armful.pdf

You should always consult a medical professional before taking any over the counter supplements (vitamins and minerals). Eating too much or too many of one vitamin or mineral can also be harmful. It is important to note that some prescribed medications will not work properly when taken with some vitamins and minerals. As such, always read the warning labels on your medications and anything you take over-the-counter. I hope this answers your question.

4. Chuck Bluestein profile image63
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 5 years ago

I guess you are asking about amounts. If you inject vitamins into a heart you will kill the person. Excess vitamins that are water soluble can be urinated out. All vitamins are water soluble except for vitamins A, D, E and K. So an excess of them can be deadly. Potassium and iron are not vitamins. They are minerals. An excess of them from supplements (not foods) can kill you.

5. Bobski606 profile image87
    Bobski606posted 5 years ago

I know that vitamin K has to be carefully moderated in people who take warfarin. Vitamin k helps to thicken and bind the blood when clotting and can be counter-productive in people trying to thin their blood.

working