jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Can you live without a pancreas?

1. xmetow profile image88
    xmetowposted 5 years ago

Can you live without a pancreas?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6998287_f260.jpg

2. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Yes, with insulin and digestive medication that helps process foods, a person can survive, unlike only a few years ago when there was little chance to live very long. There are some new artificial pancreases that medical researchers have developed but are trying to reduce it in size and make it more portable. Insulin has to be taken by Type one diabetics and medicines, by Type two folks, such as myself. If many people knew the causes such as drinking alcohol, and smoking as well as unhealthy eating habits, they would treasure the glands in their bodies, such as the lungs, heart, liver, and pancreas. We all have needed to make adjustments in our life and its routines over the years. Genetics also plays a part in problems associated with the pancreas, pituitary, liver, and thyroid glands,  such as I have been unfortunate to have had. With today's medical help, life can be more bearable.

1. whonunuwho profile image78
      whonunuwhoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I hope you have seen other doctors since then. There are many who will be extremely more positive.

3. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

That is a great answer by whonunuwho.  But mainly it delights me, I had a bout with some cancer stuff over a decade ago and docs were telling me -- if they could not save the pancreas - say good by.

4. jill of alltrades profile image75
    jill of alltradesposted 5 years ago

Yes you can. However, it's not the kind of life I would wish even on my enemy.
    The pancreas has both exocrine and endocrine functions. That means it supplies enzymes as well as hormones to your body. So if you have no pancreas, you will have to have regular hormone injections as well as take enzyme pills that you need for digestion. And this is a lifetime thing! Also, you cannot miss or forget to take the pills or skip your injection. Who would like to live a life like that?
    By the way, there is also pancreatic transplant. However, I heard that the transplant does not work very well.

5. Lily Luna profile image75
    Lily Lunaposted 5 years ago

I'm not a medical expert but I can't see survival without the pancreas.  It has a vital function in our body's system.

6. Alphadogg16 profile image90
    Alphadogg16posted 5 years ago

Yes, you can but would live the life similar to a diabetic. You would have to take insulin and enzymes to help digest for the rest of your life.

working