jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Is it possible to be allergic to water

1. scoop profile image85
    scoopposted 5 years ago

Is it possible to be allergic to water

2. bankscottage profile image95
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

I think it would be unlikely to be allergic to pure water, but what comes out of the tap has numerous minerals, chemicals, and even medication in it.  I guess you could be allergic to one of the impurities.

3. junkseller profile image83
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I've never heard of an allergy to ingesting water, but there is a condition called Aquagenic Urticaria, in which water contact on one's skin results in a painful reaction. People with this condition can even react to their own sweat. I don't think there is much understanding about this condition since it is so rare.

4. Mom Kat profile image80
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

Yes.  I had a co-worker who was allergic to water.  I thought that was impossible because we are 80% water, so she would be allergic to herself... but it was for real.

She would break out in hives just from taking a shower.  She had tons of medications & I did not envy her one bit.

1. bankscottage profile image95
      bankscottageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like hereditary mastocytosis. An abnormal number mast cells in the skin that can release histamine  (which causes the allergic reaction). Often associated with jumping into a pool of cold water. Temperature change causes the histamine release.

5. whizzer profile image77
    whizzerposted 5 years ago

You cannot be allergic to pure water. If you were, you'd die as water is needed for life. All liquids that we drink contain water. It may be possible to be allergic to additives and extreme temperatures can cause a reaction but an allergy to water is not compatible with life.

6. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I agree with whizzer. Almost all allergies are to proteins, and water is not a protein.

If a person has a sensitivity reaction to water, there are a number of possibilities:
    - The most likely one today is a reaction to chlorine. Skin reactions to pools or hot showers are likely to have this source.
    - A person with a reaction to showering or jumping into a pool may be reacting to pressure or temperature.
    - A person with skin reactions to water (or to their own sweat) probably has some imbalance in their skin, such as a pH imbalance. Or, reaction to sweat can be due to the fact that they are sweating out toxins that came in food or air at an earlier time. (I've had this problem and eliminated it by eating a healthier diet.)
    - The flouride in drinking water where water is flouridated is actually dilute poison, and people have reactions to it.
    - Some people may react to other impurities in water.

7. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes. There are two people severely allergic and have to be monitored occasionally which was how it was realized people can be allergic to water. And there are plenty of people who will never know that they are allergic to water. Their skin could always change color when they drink water such as a pink flush or a red coloring, there could be little bumps when they shower or bathe or swim.