I think it would be unlikely to be allergic to pure water, but what comes out of the tap has numerous minerals, chemicals, and even medication in it. I guess you could be allergic to one of the impurities.
I've never heard of an allergy to ingesting water, but there is a condition called Aquagenic Urticaria, in which water contact on one's skin results in a painful reaction. People with this condition can even react to their own sweat. I don't think there is much understanding about this condition since it is so rare.
Yes. I had a co-worker who was allergic to water. I thought that was impossible because we are 80% water, so she would be allergic to herself... but it was for real.
She would break out in hives just from taking a shower. She had tons of medications & I did not envy her one bit.
Sounds like hereditary mastocytosis. An abnormal number mast cells in the skin that can release histamine (which causes the allergic reaction). Often associated with jumping into a pool of cold water. Temperature change causes the histamine release.
You cannot be allergic to pure water. If you were, you'd die as water is needed for life. All liquids that we drink contain water. It may be possible to be allergic to additives and extreme temperatures can cause a reaction but an allergy to water is not compatible with life.
I agree with whizzer. Almost all allergies are to proteins, and water is not a protein.
If a person has a sensitivity reaction to water, there are a number of possibilities:
- The most likely one today is a reaction to chlorine. Skin reactions to pools or hot showers are likely to have this source.
- A person with a reaction to showering or jumping into a pool may be reacting to pressure or temperature.
- A person with skin reactions to water (or to their own sweat) probably has some imbalance in their skin, such as a pH imbalance. Or, reaction to sweat can be due to the fact that they are sweating out toxins that came in food or air at an earlier time. (I've had this problem and eliminated it by eating a healthier diet.)
- The flouride in drinking water where water is flouridated is actually dilute poison, and people have reactions to it.
- Some people may react to other impurities in water.
Yes. There are two people severely allergic and have to be monitored occasionally which was how it was realized people can be allergic to water. And there are plenty of people who will never know that they are allergic to water. Their skin could always change color when they drink water such as a pink flush or a red coloring, there could be little bumps when they shower or bathe or swim.
by ptosis5 years ago
Allergic reaction to Deet Mosquito repellent – What is the cure?I never really used Mosquito spray before and use almost daily for 3 weeks - now breaking out on the exposed areas. Tried baking soda, antihistimines,...
by Don Ship6 years ago
Is it possible to be allergic to water?
by scoop5 years ago
Does water conduct electricity better than metal?
by scoop3 years ago
Are people born with eczema or is it something that can just develop from out of nowhere?
by Miss M6 years ago
What kind of thing are you allergic to, or are you not allergic to anything?
by Peeples5 years ago
What could cause this on my daughter when nothing she's had is new?The doctors and hospital can not figure it out. They simply told me to not come back unless she started struggling to breathe. They got much worse than...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.