jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What is good diet for kidney stone patient?

1. skyfire profile image75
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

What is good diet for kidney stone patient?

I didn't get good advice from the doctor about diet. So I am asking for advice from those who know about calcium oxalate kidney stones.

What type of food you think is good for the kidney stone patient?

2. xanzacow profile image73
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

As you already know kidney stones are made of calcium. Steer clear of calcium rich foods. Drink lots of fluids preferably water to keep the kidneys flushed.

3. jennshealthstore profile image89
    jennshealthstoreposted 5 years ago

Though calcium supplements are not good to take with kidney stones, studies are showing that eating foods with calcium does not have a negative effect and can actually reduce kidney stones.
    "It seems that high dietary calcium actually blocks a chemical action which causes the formation of kidney stones by binding with oxalates (from foods) in the intestine which then prevents both from being absorbed into the blood stream and later transferred to the kidneys. Urinary oxalate may be more important to formation of calcium-oxalate kidney stone crystals than is the urinary calcium."

Foods to avoid:

apples
    asparagus
    beer
    beets
    berries, various
    black pepper
    broccoli
    cheese
    chocolate
    cocoa
    coffee
    cola drinks
    collards
    figs
    grapes
    ice cream
    milk
    oranges
    parsley
    peanut butter
    pineapples
    spinach
    Swiss chard
    rhubarb
    tea
    turnips
    vitamin C
    yogurt
    http://www.mainstream-urology.com/artic … _diet.html

Here is a link I found for food that are good.

4. visionandfocus profile image71
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

Sadly, doctors know little about nutrition. Most of them know even less about de-tox. For someone with kidney stones, physical de-toxing should be considered. The kidneys (as well as the colon, liver, and skin) are organs that help the body process and get rid of toxins (from food, medications, environment). They can get overburdened due to an unhealthy lifestyle (junk food, soda, coffee, trans fat, etc.). If I were you, I would eliminate caffeine from my diet right away--that means no coffee and no tea unless it's herbal.
    Get help from a naturopath who is trained to guide someone through a de-tox. Every person is different. Some people need a colon cleanse (colonic/colon hydrotherapy) first, then a liver and gallbladder flush, then a kidney flush or a lung cleanse. It depends on your history (medications, drugs, lifestyle, esp. food choices, any diseases, operations, etc.).
    For some people, it is better to do a colon cleanse before a liver/gallbladder flush so that the colon is in good shape to receive and eliminate the toxins that will be flushed out of the liver/gallbladder. Your naturopath should be able to advise you and devise a de-tox plan custom-made for you. Good luck!

1. Hariom Singhal profile image60
      Hariom Singhalposted 4 years agoin reply to this

A very useful answer.Take lemon water to detox your whole body.

2. watergeek profile image98
      watergeekposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, a good answer. Drinking water spiked with sea salt (for electrolyte balance) is also key. See this hub for more info about how kidneys function: http://watergeek.hubpages.com/hub/Kidne … e-of-Water

working