If you could only keep one of your five senses, which would you save?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (23 posts)
  1. mikielikie profile image60
    mikielikieposted 11 years ago

If you could only keep one of your five senses, which would you save?

2. Laura Schneider profile image83
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

I would keep touch. I could remember well enough sounds, tastes, smells, and some sights. However, touch would allow me to read, navigate on my own, and generally be independent and investigative.

Hopefully this reality never strikes any of us, however: all of our senses are precious and work together to create our life-experience. I know someone who lost taste and smell, and he/she was still significantly affected by it years after the car ran him/her down in the crosswalk, imparting severe brain damage.

1. Laura Schneider profile image83
      Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Most everyone else answered "sight". Hmm. Growing up with a blind friend, you almost forgot she was blind--she "saw" with her hands, nose, ears, and sense of heat. (I.e. She ALWAYS won Hide-n-seek). I could learn to see that way.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Sight.  Love being able to see my kids and their kids and the happy faces of my dogs.

4. gail641 profile image67
    gail641posted 11 years ago

I would want to keep my eyesight. I wouldn't want to be blind. I would want to be able to see everything. It would be hard to lose the other four senses, though. It would be hard not to be able to taste, smell, hear and touch.

5. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Without any hesitation, I would hold on to,"sight."   Truly, I cannot imagine, never being able to see all the beauty that exists.....everywhere.... my loved ones, nature and the printed word.....
    We can substitute in several ways, to hear and speak, if this was a burden we had to carry.....Because we had these senses for many years, our memory of sounds can get us through...and to replace speaking.....we can learn sign, use the new technical devices that are now available....and WRITE!  Fairly easy for a writer, wouldn't you agree?
    Our senses are such awesome gifts...and we don't "think" about being without any....but we should always be so grateful......Good question.

6. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

My answer is probably partially biased because of my previous career, but my vision. I'll still be able to see my husbands beautiful face and his gorgeous blue eyes as long as I have my vision. I'd also be able to do my crafts such as cross stitching and crochet, and I'd be able to read my microbiology books etc.

7. BlissfulWriter profile image72
    BlissfulWriterposted 11 years ago

Of course, the sense of sight is the most important.

Perhaps to you, but I don't think that that is a foregone conclusion. Imagine Beethoven, for example, unable to hear his own compositions or the roar of the crowds when the pieces ended... composing beautifully just upon memory of each note...

8. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

My Eyes, of course. They are the most precious, I think, without which life is not worth living. What is life if you are not able to see your loved ones, the beauty of nature. Though all senses are equally important and living without them would be a difficult compromise, EYES are the most indispensable I think.

9. BigSerious profile image86
    BigSeriousposted 11 years ago

Touch. Hands down. Nothing can replace the care you understand from a simple touch. Everybody needs it, as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed! Also, without touch you are likely to get injured more often because you can't feel the hammer hit your thumbnail, how hot your coffee/shower is, or that the stove is still too hot to touch. Pain is key to safety, just as it is to pleasure..

10. Amanda108 profile image85
    Amanda108posted 11 years ago

My sight. While touch is an important one to emotional health, I'm honestly not fond of being touched to begin with. Of course I'd miss it, but not to the extent I'd miss being able to see, I believe.

11. lois sunday profile image61
    lois sundayposted 11 years ago

sight. that's the most important, i think.

12. sleepylog profile image61
    sleepylogposted 11 years ago

Definitely my sight, I couldn't imagine not being able to see my kids, my partner, my family and friends or the beautiful world we live in. I also rely on my car very and I would hate to lose the independence and freedom that being able to drive gives me.

13. Dr. Haddox profile image61
    Dr. Haddoxposted 11 years ago

I would keep eyesight. It would be difficult without the other senses, but I would probably last longer in the hostile environment that we call civilized society if I could see. Hearing is pretty important, but I have seen many people compensate for hearing (being a doctor, I have seen a lot). Feeling, tasting and smelling are very important survival mechanisms that we often take for granted until we have lost them.
    As you may notice, as a physician, I am focused, primarily, upon the survival of the human organism.
    At best, survival is extremely difficult in the world that we live in today. It is so easy for those of us, who have a more privileged existence, to not see the difficulty of survival that many face living in the greater global communities of the world.
    We should contemplate these things from time to time. Thank you for helping us to do just that.
    Regards,
    Dr. Haddox

1. A_K profile image72
      A_Kposted 11 years agoin reply to this

With my sight and the brain to process of information, I am sure I can make up for the loss by devising new methods. I am sure your question allows me to keep my brain intact.

2. Laura Schneider profile image83

And thank you, Dr. Haddox, for reminding us that we DO need to comtemplate these things. We always have lived in the global world, but now we are all interconnected and interdependant in ways we couldn't forsee even in the very recent past.

14. Seeker7 profile image82
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

It would need to be my sight. Missing the beauty all around me would be too much to loose. So yes, definately, I would keep sight.

15. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

Definitely Sight. I don't want to burden anyone else with my disability. For the rest of the senses, i could go without them even though it would be a difficult task.

16. philli profile image79
    philliposted 11 years ago

Definitely sight. Smell and taste are nowhere in the running. Hearing is a close second.

17. gypsumgirl profile image71
    gypsumgirlposted 11 years ago

I would have to say that I would save my sight.  Although touch is a close second, I would be able to imagine the touch from seeing the action.

18. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

Sight!  I couldn't bare to live with seeing my children's beautiful faces... or to see my husband smile... or just look at God's beautiful creation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)