What are some techniques that YOU use to live in the moment?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Relationshipc profile image87
    Relationshipcposted 11 years ago

What are some techniques that YOU use to live in the moment?

We all know that the only moment is now, and living in the moment can help us feel good, more alive, and grounded, but it is easier said than done to stop worrying about the future and thinking about the past.

That said, what are some ways that you bring yourself back to the present moment?

2. David Morrison profile image67
    David Morrisonposted 11 years ago

What I do is drink alcohol until im tipsy. That way I won't be too embarrased to get loose and I won't do anyting i'll regret in the long run.

Relationshipcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hah. I find that I do more thing that I regret when I'm tipsy. Not sure how that helps you really live in the moment though? Although, it does allow you to do whatever you want in the moment. wink

3. Blond Logic profile image93
    Blond Logicposted 11 years ago

I will sit quietly and watch the birds and the lake at our house. No matter what problems there may be, they disappear.

I would love to live by a lake. Yes, I can see how that would work.

4. profile image0
    PedroFernandesposted 11 years ago

The most important thing is to breathe consciously!

1. Emanate Presence profile image69
      Emanate Presenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Breathing with awareness, consciously, is a helpful technique for staying present or returning to the Now.

5. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 11 years ago

I go for a walk and just enjoy my surroundings. Being outdoors helps me to stay in the moment and seems to make everyday pressures easier.

I agree, being outdoors is a great way to really be in the moment.

6. IDONO profile image59
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

I'm not so sure that it's a "technique" as much as a change in overall thinking. But I'll try.
         I can remember and learn from the past. But I can't change the past and I'm not strong enough to drag old baggage around and expect to keep moving forward. So, I let go of any guilt or bad feelings by doing the best I can to make things as close to right as I can and then I move on.
         I make plans for the future, but not too far ahead and definitely don't plan the results. It only takes one tiny thing to change everything from that moment forward.
         I have realized that every thought, action and decision, (good or bad) is part of the process of where I am at this very moment. The same goes for planning ahead. Just about everything we do takes a series of steps and decisions to get to the result of that plan. Just going to the store for a gallon of milk takes hundreds of decisions. Those include which store. Should I wear a coat. Got to get the keys. Got to open the door. Got to walk through it. Got to close it. Goes on and on. If one thing is missed, forgotten or unexpected happens, that " Be back in 10 minutes" statement won't happen.
         The best example of my thought is, when they talk to a football player before a playoff game and ask him about going to the Super Bowl, he will almost always respond with, " I'm concerned with winning this game today, only. Because if we don't win today, there is no Super Bowl for us."  He's taught to think this way because if he's looking 2 games ahead, he's not looking at the one today.
         Everyday, we make thousands of decisions. I can't make that many correct decisions in 5 minutes let alone a whole day. I have no choice but to live in the now to even have a chance of being close at the end of the day to where I was hoping to be. And simply, there are way too many things that happen that I have no control over. So, there you go.
         I guess I should have wrote a hub, but I wasn't planning on this being so long.
         See what I mean?

1. Emanate Presence profile image69
      Emanate Presenceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This brings the abstract idea of living in the Now into the 'concrete' of day to day life. You would still write a hub? You have good thoughts to share....

7. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7803210_f260.jpg

Walks/jog-walks primarily with my Belgian Malinois (The Mollinator) around our neighborhood on the trails. Contemplation while around nature works for well me.

Love the pic!

2. connorj profile image68
      connorjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you significantly for this accolade. However, I hope my answer was selected for its worth rather than my affinity for hockey, the Rockies and the Canadian outdoors eh...

8. torrilynn profile image67
    torrilynnposted 11 years ago

I listen to music, I use to work out and feel an amazing burst of energy afterwards, I would go to this secluded park to clear my mind

9. janetwrites profile image79
    janetwritesposted 11 years ago

I spend time with my family. That's living in the moment for me.

10. Emanate Presence profile image69
    Emanate Presenceposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7885932_f260.jpg

Relationshipc, I started to ask a similar question today and found it had been asked before. Expanding on what I already wrote in the detail of my question:

The term 'live in the moment' has been popularized by authors such as Eckhard Tolle and Ram Dass in their books 'Power of the Now' and 'Be Here Now.' But what does it really mean in daily life?

On the surface, or taken literally, it seems to mean having no memories of the past or plans for the future. That is unrealistic, and there is much more to it, of course. I remember reading one definition of the Now, that it is not a point in time but rather a mystical perspective.

For 13 years I have been practicing the art of living in the Now, and learning in the process what it means and what works for me.

I was going to submit the question because I am interested to know the experience and ideas of others regarding living in the Present Moment.

I think people can only go so far with the abstract concept as their experience and world view allows.

For me, the best known technique that has had some value is to focus on conscious breathing as the Buddha taught.

But just in the past two days, I had realizations that are new to me. Woke up this morning with words to write. Notes to myself on observations from my experience and what works for me. I practiced a new 'technique' when walking to the bakery, past other pedestrians in the town square. It carries the seed of something real, an effective way of living in the Now. With further practice, observation and development I will bring out more....

Thank you for asking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)