How do you keep balance in your life?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. SoundNFury profile image81
    SoundNFuryposted 10 years ago

How do you keep balance in your life?

With so many responsibilities and commitments and increasingly hectic lifestyles, it seems hard to keep it all in balance, without toppling over.  What are the keys to a balanced lifestyle?  How much "me time" is enough in a day for you?

2. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

I know what matters most, and do it a little bit every day, and a little more each week. I support this by using The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey. (See about 10 hubs I've written about that.) I put what I want into "roles" and if I do something in each role, my life is balanced. One of those roles is self care - this allows me to be healthy and available for all the other roles. Others are for me, in some sense, as I am a writer and an artist. But I write to help others, so is it really for me. Other roles support other people and share with them, such as my role as a husband and a son. But I love my wife and enjoy time with her. So that's for her, and also for me, too.

So, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is all "me time." And 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is also time given to those I love, or to taking care of myself and being true to myself so that I have enough to give.

Economically, the world is getting more challenging , and socially, it is getting more hectic. But my corner of the world is growing in peace, joy, and creativity because that is what I choose to live and share.

If this approach intrigues you, I invite you to my profile. I'm doing what I can to share what I live.

3. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

It's not easy, and there are most times you have to topple over. The best thing to do is be organized so when one thing falls, it doesn't all collapse around you. Only one area will go down. But me time... That's the most difficult. In the car doesn't count much because driving is stressful. Me time involves reading books, showering, bathing, painting nails alone, or just resting. I might have 30 minutes each evening of me time, sometimes lunch. But those moments are savored as much as possible.

4. Purpose Embraced profile image83
    Purpose Embracedposted 10 years ago

That's a tricky one, that I am still working on finding the right balance for my life. But I'm learning to prioritize the things I do. Presently, I am doing a personal growth program, and learned the Pareto principle. Basically it says that I begin by listing all the things I need to accomplish from 1 -10 (with #1 being the highest priority). If I complete the first 2 things of the list of 10, then this could bring 80% success.

The point is that it is not so much the number of activities I am doing, but when I do the most important things, I get greater success.

5. Abby Campbell profile image74
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

As a woman, wife, and mother, I believe that "balance" is out of the question most times. Men always seem to have it easier. They only have one person that they really need to take care of. As wives and mothers, we not only have to take care of ourselves but our children and sometimes our husbands. It's tough to say the least! We play the role of not only wife and mother but teacher, disciplinarian, psychiatrist, doctor, nutritionist, personal trainer, etc. for just our children. Then we play maid, cook, gardener, accountant, secretary, and seductress on top of a paying job. It can definitely be overwhelming!

Though I am an extremely organized person, I have tried countless ways to try to find balance. I have prioritized lists. I have set timers for all my tasks. I have gotten up earlier in the morning just to lengthen my days. However, there are ALWAYS interruptions from kids getting sick to teachers or activity directors wanting me to bake cookies for a special event. It seems never-ending! Sometimes, I think we (especially us women) tend to cram too much into our schedules.

1. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I empathise. From a spiritual standpoint, The Wise say that it is possible to pray for 5-15 mins every day. What is missing is yearning, longing, earnestness for inner happiness. I see 'unnecessaries' in what you write. Change your angle of vision.

2. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Manatita, you make a good point. I think we can go even deeper. I find balance through praying 24/7, even praying through the work of caring for others and taking care of the world in its troubles.

6. MountainManJake profile image68
    MountainManJakeposted 10 years ago

Overall I feel that happiness is the balance of joy and suffering.  To be happy, you have to be healthy, financially stable and socially sound.  All of those things require work, which no one likes to do.  In turn you suffer to get results you enjoy.  Happiness.  Balance.

1. savvydating profile image90
      savvydatingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Awesome answer.

7. dorothy0328 profile image75
    dorothy0328posted 10 years ago

I have a hectic and fast paced lifestyle however I try to keep routine during my daily activities. Even the little things such as my morning coffee and daily exercise routine help me feel as though my life is in balance. I enjoy going to church, gardening and watching movies in what little spare time I have. In short having even a small routine daily, taking care of responsabilities as needed, and doing something in my spare time that not only I enjoy but also relaxing whenever I can and especially when neccassary is important to me for keeping my life balanced. .

8. Beata Stasak profile image79
    Beata Stasakposted 10 years ago

There is no right or wrong answer, we are all different and put emphasis on different priorities in life, if there is one general answer it maybe is this one:
    Follow your heart but don't let you forget everything else in your life that matters...
    Follow your brain but don't let you forget that feelings are important too...
    Follow you intuition but don't let you forget that you are just human full of weaknessses and sometimes it takes time to see the path clearly amist all confusion....
    Do not walk alone, you are strong but everyone of us needs a supporting hand from time to time so outstretch your hand for support too...

1. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful!

9. manatita44 profile image71
    manatita44posted 10 years ago

You question indicates that you are seeking. This is positive.

Prayer is crucial. Start the day believing that you are a humble instrument in His hand. Offer gratitude that you have awakened and are still alive. Thank Him for your family - if you have one - and your daily bread. If you rise at 0600 hrs. That will take you 15 mins, let us say.
    You will then drive to work with 100 smarties in your Spirit. You will lose 10 at the first traffic jam, 10 more on the train and probably 30 at work. You will lose about 30 on your way home but you will have a plus of 20. Without prayer, you will be minus 80.
    2. Socials. Have friends of like temperament. Go out for breakfast on Sundays after church/worship. Have a few of them to get together.
    3. Let go of the 'fillers' in your life. To do this, you must change your angle of vision. See life in a new and different way. All things are impermanent, and all we have is the Eternal Now!!
    4. Exercise
    5. Be happy! be brave in order to be happy, be happy in order to be brave. Practice humour: sing, dance, talk to yourself.
    6. Simplicity and humility are essential. Enough for one day.

10. bigballer73 profile image58
    bigballer73posted 10 years ago

Try writing down everything you do in a week.  At the same time, don't change what you would normally be doing - that defeats the purpose of the exercise!

Once I did this, I found I was spending far too much time mindlessly surfing the internet.  And a little too much time in front of the idiot box.  At times I was dismissing my children just to get back to whatever I was doing, even if it wasn't important!

It really helped me realize to prioritize my time.  Must do things come first - work, eating, and setting a set sleeping schedule was helpful.

Then dedicating some specific time for each family member, sometimes it overlaps, being with all of them together really ends up being the best time of my day.

And a little me time - TV or internet is OK, but pick a show to watch or a subject to study, don't just waste that time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)