What are the 10 things that parents can do to instill in their children a sense of personal power
Many of us have been inculcated that we have NO power. We have been further told to give away our power to more "authoritative" persons. This is evident in that we tend to give our power away to clergypeople/priests/ministers, politicians, celebrities, and other "authortitative" persons oftentimes much to our peril. We were told that we have LITTLE or NO power in our lives.. We all have power, whether we elect to use it or not. The more power we have in our lives, THE BETTER. We seem to be afraid of our personal power.
As someone who often voices my opinion without concern about popularity,
I had the experience growing up that you describe. Here is what I think that parents can do to instill a sense of personal power in their children:
1) Never take advice on face value. Always do the research to know the facts.
2) Don't let someone else blow out your candles. Keep your own dreams alive and reach for mountains no matter what anyone else says.
3) Be true to yourself. Know who you are. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently that you aren't good enough.
4) When you are up against people who say you can't, try harder, for in my experience I'm always told I can't do something when in reality, I can.
5) Know when to stop chasing a rainbow, but always have a back-up plan, and a plan for your back-up!
6) Be the change you want to see. Act it, do it, and live it.
7) Stop being your own worst enemy. If someone is not good for you, don't chase them. Let them go on and live their own life. There's a lot more to life than the one who got away or wouldn't be your friend. (Avoid negativity and people who constantly bring you down.)
8) Don't prioritize the needs of others if it is detrimental to that of your own. Meaning, it's ok to give gifts if you have it to give. But don't feel pressured by anyone because they feel you have to do something for someone else.
9) You have a voice. Use it! You have to become your own advocate. Treat yourself like you would treat someone else. Kindly. Don't beat yourself down. Make sure you are always looking out for your best interests, because others won't necessarily.
10) Don't give someone a fish, but teach them how to get their own! (From a Chinese fortunate cookie.)
My mother used to recite "If" by Rudyard Kipling along with other poetry to me in our Murphy bed that was pulled down from the closet in the living room. We'd lay together after the "Honeymooners" was off TV and the "test pattern" buzzed. She'd lean on her elbow, give me a sip of her Schlitz beer out of the bottle, and we'd share a plate of Thuringer summer sausage and crackers placed on the mattress between us. As my head lay on the pillow and I closed my eyes, she'd recite to me every night:
"If you can keep your head when those about you
Are losing there's and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
And make allowance for their doubting too.
If you can wait, and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, and still don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't act too good nor speak to wise.
(And on and on the poem goes. )
My mother would substitute a few words when the wording of Kipling seemed not relate-able to her. The above are the words she substituted, not the precise wording of Kipling.
I'd recite pieces of that poem to myself during many difficult times in my life, and it empowered me, if only by making me feel inwardly strong. http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/175772
One heading covers it all ,God's Word the bible , since humans could not possibly date back in history the creation of the words and meaning of these ,respect, good morals, love, kindness, self control, A language that we could have never claim on our own,, For those that have faith and have passed on these examples to their children ,many children have reflected their loving parents , for those who lack to give their children this foundation have come to regret it. The wisdom of God's word is a living treasure to life, it works ! There are many proud parents today because of it.
by Grace Marguerite Williams 2 years ago
What are THE TEN MOST IMPORTANT things that parents should teach & instill into their children inorder for them to achieve THEIR FULLEST POTENTIAL educationally, intellectually, & socioeconomically?
by Marisa Hammond Olivares 2 years ago
What values and belief system did your mother or father instill in you that you still apply today?Are there any specific virtues that you strongly support within your own family?
by Delilah 5 years ago
What is the 3 things you feel is the most important to instill in your childs life or character?Just thinking on the top of my head my 3 would be love of course, respect, and knowing of who God is!
by Shell Vera 6 years ago
What is the one lesson you want to be sure to instill within your children while they are young?If you could only teach your child one lesson in life, what would it be?
by Marissa 7 years ago
What values do you want to instill in your children?It can be a scary world out there and some day we will let our children free into that world. What can we do now to help them make the right decisions later?
by julieh 7 years ago
How do we instill our children with confidence to face their learning disability?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|