Holiday depression

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

What is the best way to deal with depression over the holidays, caused by either lack of money, and/or missing loved ones?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image68
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is just an idea but there are many families out there with little or no money this Christmas.  If a person does not have anyone to celebrate the holidays with perhaps providing gifts to children of needy families will give some purpose to your life this holiday season.  It truly is better to give then receive and the knowledge that you have made someone else's Christmas enjoyable may be enough to get you through the season.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

write write and write some more, join the forums LOL

3. pylos26 profile image71
      pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Leave that ole whisky alone...its depressing.

4. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Creating fun legal ways to make money.. yard sales, swapping,.
      Getting involved in your community, bond more with your family and friends, make your surroundings that much better. Discuss suggestions with your family and friends and create the biggest Christmas holiday you can..

2. SweetiePie profile image78
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I think one of the big mistakes people make over the holidays is buying lots of gifts they cannot afford.  Once people get over the notion that handmade gifts are cheesy, then they can save lots of money.  It is hard when family lives far away, but if you mailed them a handcrafted gift they would appreciate it so much more than a Best Buy card.  When creating you can release a lot of anxiety and negative feelings, which helps with depression.

1. starme77 profile image80
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats a great answer couldn't have said it better myself

1. SweetiePie profile image78
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I am making all my gifts this year, and I know my family and friends will appreciate these.

2. Mekenzie profile image79
      Mekenzieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree - I made a ton of mixes in a jar this year.  They are really fun to make and people are always really happy to receive them..  You can find them online and make it in a Quart sized jar with pretty fabric on the lid - makes an old fashioned yummy present that doesn't cost much at all...  Fun Fun Fun!

3. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

Very good ideas, and I thank you...sometimes it is hard to see the forest when so many trees are in the way....you all have simplified it for me...

4. h.a.borcich profile image59
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

One cause of depression is the big gap between what we expect and what we get, and not as in presents. If we expect the holidays to be something completely different than our reality -we are likely to feel depressed.
      WHen I get feeling depression like that I try to remember this saying...I felt bad I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet. It puts into perspective appreciation for what I have and takesme out of myself to help others. Just my thoughts, Holly

5. Bredavies profile image63
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

Hang out with the people you love. That always makes me smile. smile

6. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'd say they should put together a much of a holiday as they can, and keep in mind that from one year to another some holidays are going to be better than others.  Try to create a little "holiday atmosphere" but then just enjoy being with whoever it is you can be with.  If you're alone then concentrate on how liberating it is to be able to do what you feel like doing without regard for what you think you should be doing.

This isn't the same as a Christmas, but one year I had to spend New Years Eve in the hospital because of a threatened miscarriage.  My young-woman roommate and I spent the whole night talking and talking.  We knew we were a pathetic duo, but we enjoyed the conversation all through the night.  As with holidays, the night/day passed, and we got on with life and went on to have more normal New Years Eves in the future.   In the scheme of life, all holidays are nothing more than one day.  Sometimes it has to be ok not to feel very "holiday-ish".   smile

7. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Wanna feel better emotionally? Do something kind for someone else. Seriously - it takes your mind off your own problems for a while.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep.

i like to visit the bunny rescue. they have like a hundred bunnies there and they are so cute. i don't work there, but i visit with the wonderful volunteers and the bunnies, of course wink

i also keep Christmas music on, turn on all the Christmas lights as soon as i get home, and try not to reflect on those who are gone so much. that's the bad thing about holidays, they mark time's passing as no other time of year does, so you feel the absence more sharply. and yes, don't overspend, great advice!

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great Point xo big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

1. profile image0
          bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey there goregous!  There is no need to be depressed.  I'm here to keep you laughing, and for a little holiday cheer as well!

2. Lisa HW profile image64
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That works when one's problems remain external enough that they're something a person can get their mind off.  The trouble for a lot of people is that problems can be so big or last so long, the person actually has physiological changes that turn problems from being something external to becoming as inescapable as one's own endocrine system.  That's why people sometimes need to recognize that their unhappiness, "blues", is essentially a physiological condition; and they can't expect, at least for a while, to feel happy.  When life has "sucked the life out of" someone they, and those around them, really need to know that others understand it isn't their own "bad mental attitude" that has created such a challenge in overcoming those "blues".  ("Blues" - what a stupid and meaningless word to describe the kind of unhappiness so many people live with, particularly when holidays come around and highlight it.)   hmm

If I could give one comment to anyone suffering with genuine depression or genuine unhappiness (and they aren't necessarily the same thing), I'd say they should understand that they're dealing with something that amounts to a physiological condition (even if it's "plain old major unhappiness), and that they aren't going to overcome it in the next week or two.   They need to accept that sometimes we don't feel as happy at holiday time as we have at other times, and they (or anyone close to them) shouldn't expect the "blood out of a stone" kind of thing from that, any more than one would expect someone with two broken legs to run a marathon.

8. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

someone called me - my name is depression this time of year yikes

9. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

After losing everything twice--homes, belongings, some heirlooms, and even friends--I've decided that what I want most is to spend the time I have with the people who are important to me. I've prepared simple but meaningful gifts for all the people on my list. A friend attended my daughter's wedding earlier in the year, and she took a fabulous pic of my daughter and I together at the wedding and framed it and gave it to me just this evening. I felt stupid when I cried as I opened it, but what a great gift I will always cherish. It's of my daughter walking down the stairs in her gown and me exclaiming "OH!!!...." My daughter exclaimed back "Don't you DARE! I don't have water-proof make up on!" and we laughed, and my friend caught the picture. She is so beautiful, and they are so happy.

So I'm giving gifts about my relationship with the people I love and what they mean to me. So far, so good. Besides the gifts, I'm making the rounds all day to visit many of these people, play the piano, sing new songs I wrote and eat a lot of food.

Simple, simple, simple. And so wonderful for me.

1. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aww, you got me a little teary Daniel. I'm looking at my version of that pic right now. It's priceless smile It sits in a frame right next to my monitor.
      Happy holidays

10. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

If you are slightly depressed...and/or majorly depressed it is important to get through the holidays in one piece. Lack of Money...loneliness...and an existing amount of depression going into the holidays can make a person...go into "depression overload". Find a way to make this holiday as positive as you can for yourself...whether you even practice the holiday or not...whether you have money...whether you have family or friends to visit or not. If you isolate yourself on or around the holiday...you might be inclined to envelope yourself in your own miserableness. Make the holiday...and the time around it a "me" time. Go to a movie...Go for a nice walk (If lonely-possibly at a park where a lot of people go to hike/run...even on a holiday)...Go see some kind of scenery place that would not be closed for Christmas....like a beach or a hill-top view...and enjoy having the whole damn place to yourself. Think ahead, plan for it in advance, definitly invite a friend who doesn't have plans either. If money is an issue...do something for yourself that you will benefit from...that will keep you busy...and you can reward yourself afterwards...maybe with a fun Christmas toddy/LicĀ“our-type drink-(just for the fun of it), or a Tall Cup of your favorite Coffee, or Hot cocoa...whatever you like. Clean out a stack of papers, pile up old clothes to give away, or detail the inside of your car. Do some kind of simple task that you have been wanting to get done that will be something to help feel good about you and your surroundings. Staying busy might help pass the time by a little bit smoother...as well! Just some suggestions from someone who has "been there" on the depression side...and knows that depression can grow and grow ...until it can take over...So don't even give it a chance...to the best of your abilities!

11. profile image50
    janedoe22posted 14 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRW6insEjhE

The link above talks about depression especially around the holidays
    it may even help you

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)