jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

What's the best way to avoid gaining weight over the holidays?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image98
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 15 months ago

What's the best way to avoid gaining weight over the holidays?

Surely there are ways to enjoy great holiday food and not gain too much weight!  All tips appreciated!

2. DeborahNessmith profile image82
    DeborahNessmithposted 15 months ago

The best advice I can give is, make a healthy dish or dessert that will help you stay within calorie limits. Also watching portion sizes will help keep you from going board. I have the same issue with family gatherings, so I always take a healthier version of a family favorite. I hope this helps.

3. simplehappylife profile image83
    simplehappylifeposted 15 months ago

Don't eat more than normal if you aren't willing to balance that with more water intake and physical activity. If you just can't motivate yourself to be more active, just eat smaller portions (and definitely do not exceed what you would normally intake on any other occasion).

1. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Just DON'T eat.

2. simplehappylife profile image83
      simplehappylifeposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Lol Greg

3. DeborahNessmith profile image82
      DeborahNessmithposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Not eating isn't practicle. But staying in a healthy calorie range or eating the same amount you currently do, will help with weight gain over the holidays. Great post SA Williams, I forgot to mention staying active.

4. savvydating profile image95
    savvydatingposted 15 months ago

Develop the mindset that a low fat diet is more fulfilling and practical than watching calories or portions. Why? Because if you watch fat grams, you get to eat more! And if you eat more, you don't feel deprived.
    For example, I look at a piece of pie and I think to myself, I can have a one slice with whipped cream one day a week. But the other 6 days, I cannnot. It becomes a habit. After awhile, it's even kind of fun. Forget about low calorie and low carb diets. They only make you hungrier.
    Order a nice book from Amazon for dirt cheap. It is called, Fit or Fat. It works. It's more of a lifestyle thing. Learn about low fat and you will maintain your weight without feeling deprived. I know, because it works for me. smile

5. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 15 months ago

Tape your mouth shut. Oh, I'm sorry, you wanted a serious answer. Pick out a food ingredient and pretend that you are allergic to it and can't eat the food with it in it. I'm being serious here. Say dairy, wheat, sugar, or high fat. No dairy keeps you away from all those creamed dishes from casseroles to cream pies. No wheat keeps you away from fried chicken, anything eaten with crackers, and pies and cakes. No sugar keeps you away from all those high calorie desserts unless there is a diabetic in the family who brings sugarless desserts. High fat keeps you away from most anything that tastes good.
    This sounds unrealistic, but one year the doctor put me on a no-sugar, no-dairy diet which spanned both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I lost 30 lbs. in 10 weeks, down to 110 lbs. Don't try this at home unless you are really serious about your weight.

6. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 15 months ago

I read somewhere that the average person gains ten pounds over the holiday.  I am working on keeping it down by eating a salad or something healthy before going to dinners and parties.

7. bravewarrior profile image92
    bravewarriorposted 15 months ago

I'm not making a big holiday dinner this year. It's just me and my son and we have opted to have a regular dinner without days of leftovers. We're having catfish, black-eyed peas and mashed potatoes. Of course, I'm baking cookies, too, but have limited it to just one type this year.

I've also taken to using the stairs in the parking garage at work rather than the elevator.