jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What are some activities or foods that are good for the heart?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

What are some activities or foods that are good for the heart?

What are the best things someone can do for their heart?

2. profile image54
    Erica Fogartyposted 3 years ago

Heart disease is the number one cause of death for American women. To get the most benefit for your heart, you  should take a walk out side between 10-30 minutes a day. I understand sometimes it's tough, Some of us have jobs, kids, school ect... Take the kids to the park or walk on your lunch break, I always take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walking, Hiking, biking, Swimming and Running are all excellent activities.
    For foods to eat choose more fruits, vegetables, and foods with whole grains and healthy protein.
    (STAY AWAY FROM FATTY FOODS)   
    Bake your meats instead of frying and steam your vegetables. Most of all stay away from fast food. You and your body will feel so energized.

3. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

My favorite activity has always been swimming, but I haven't done it in quite a while. I'm going to have to get back to it, I guess, because after breaking my leg, I still feel pain at the point of the break when I do any walking of consequence -- even going to the grocery store.

OATMEAL, BLUEBERRIES AND DARK CHOCOLATE:  Let me tell you about my friend's experience with high cholesterol. She had been on statin drugs but had to give them up because of muscle pain. She knew she had to do something because her parents both died of sudden heart attacks at an earlier age than she is now. On her doctor's advice, she eats oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast and a banana for a mid-morning snack. She has a normal lunch, usually chicken or tuna and a salad and olive oil dressing. She and her family usually have chicken or fish and healthy vegetables for dinner. Then on the doctor's advice, she eats 2 or 3 squares of dark chocolate before she goes to bed. In addition, she takes 2 red yeast rice capsules a day. In one month her cholesterol went from above 300 to perfect. I envy her because I can't do either the dark chocolate (migraine) or the red yeast rice (bloating problem).

My point is that sometimes it takes more than just eating healthy. You have to eat selectively to target certain health problems.

1. profile image54
      Erica Fogartyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

dark chocolate is great for your heart I know chocolate has caffeine in it but I don't think it is the main reason behind your migraines try drinking water before and after you eat the chocolate and always drink water through out the day and I agree

working