jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are people more successful working out at home or going to a gym?

1. theCozyColordan profile image60
    theCozyColordanposted 3 years ago

Are people more successful working out at home or going to a gym?

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

I think this depends largely on the person, their level of motivation and how social they happen to be.  Some who really need the support of others might do better going to a gym with a friend.  I prefer to exercise alone, so I have the equipment and things I need at home and I am pretty self-motivated when I need to be.  For me, I'd never go to a gym.  I can't even fathom the idea of wanting to.  Others would be bored to tears working out alone - so I think there's no one right answer to this question.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 3 years ago

As an 'old guy' (79 in April) who started training fifty-eight years ago, I'd say it's better to train at a gym.  It's better still, of course, if the gym is very close, preferably walking distance.  When I first began weight training - and that's what it was, for the modern equipment didn't exist, it was just barbells and dumbells in those days, the gym was in the next street.

I have trained at home - in the garage - when no gym was available, but it's a chore.  I also trained alone when stationed on a sub-Antarctic island.  Once again, it took real motivation go out into a cold, store room or lab room and to drag barbells from one place to another.

For the past twelve years I've been driving to a gym 20 minutes by car away.   But what a gym!   Huge!   And even though I work out alone, there are always others around to chat to; familiar faces, people to joke around with as one works out.

As a fellow who's been pacing the treadmill and riding the bike which goes nowhere - and still pumping iron - for a very long time, the gym the way to go.  Stay at the gym and you'll stay fit all your life.

4. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

i watch my neighbors jogging and brisk walking every evening without fail, his weight had dropped over the years and became healthier. Working out at home is much cheaper , needs more time but better than sweating in the gym

working