jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Why is trying to find healthy cheap meal ideas so hard?

1. alishadawn profile image59
    alishadawnposted 2 years ago

Why is trying to find healthy cheap meal ideas so hard?

I have tried pinterest and every link I click is pay me to show you. If you pay me I will give you a shopping list and how to instructions. I just want cheap healthy meals to feed my family!

2. Alphadogg16 profile image91
    Alphadogg16posted 2 years ago

Eating clean and healthy can be difficult, not really sure why you would need to be charged for ideas. I'm not sure to what extent of healthy meals you are wanting to try, but you can check out several of my hubs to get a general idea of what you can feed your family.

alishadawnposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you I will. My husband is trying to lose weight and eat healthy but I also have four other mouths to feed. I am trying to find healthier meals for us and our kids.

3. cobrien profile image76
    cobrienposted 2 years ago

I feel you. I've been trying to eat better and it's EXPENSIVE. I've found a few good family recipes on Campbell Soup Cans. Most are inexpensive and taste good. But, watch the fats and carbs. Replace white rice with brown rice or quinoa and use the leanest cuts of meat.Use the low-fat versions of the cream soups.

I will thank you so much.

4. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 2 years ago

It's hard because the vast majority of people who live in the western side of the world have been brainwashed into thinking healthy is expensive. It may be in some parts of USA, but where I live a head of lettuce is $1.50. I can only think of a couple fruits and veggies that are expensive. Most are under $1 per serving. You want cheap healthy meals for your family? Then go to the produce department and buy yourself a some fresh fruits and veggies. Then if you eat meat go buy yourself some lean beef, chicken, and fish. When you have everything come home and plug those ingredients into a healthy recipe finder.
    I have a family of 5. I live in the south east so some of my meals are less healthy than they should be, but it is very easy and affordable to cook healthy fresh meals for your family. When money is the issue grow what you need. Even on a patio you can grow a good bit of healthy fresh food.

If you can find things on,sale then you can get good prices otherwise you go to the store and spend $60 on only fruits and veggies. I will find a way to eat healthy but cheap. I know I can juts need to work at it.

2. peeples profile image95
      peeplesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Wow, there must be a huge price difference between here and there. A full week of that here is about $15. Growing is best, seeds are just a couple $ and make far more than most people can eat.

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
    LoisRyan13903posted 2 years ago

I would try Google for ideas.  I can't believe the nerve of some sites that try to charge to give you ideas.  At least they should give a warning in the description.  But if you are unsuccessful you can try to find a book at the library.  Most libraries have a pretty good section.  Not eating healthy can be expensive especially  if you want to go organic.  We have a grocery store and the meat in the organic section can run up to $12.00 a pound.  Yikes! Really is there any difference between organic beef compared to the beef from your local grocery store.   I try to eat healthy and have several cookbooks in the low carb category.  If I follow the menu plan offered to the T I would be spending 2-3 hundred dollars a week on groceries.  That does not fit my budget.  But I make it more affordable by sticking to the cheaper plans-sticking to boneless chicken breast and maybe treating myself to the more expensive menu's when I can afford it.

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
      LoisRyan13903posted 2 years agoin reply to this

You can try pick you own  fruits and vegetable farms, these are cheaper than going to the store,  Then you can can remaining fruits and vegetables.

6. monia saad profile image74
    monia saadposted 2 years ago

Find organic food is not easy it is very expensive. I also found I have the same problem and budget food does not assume that certainly. But between now and then try to Laufer it once or twice a week, along with Fish certainly

7. jodigirl88 profile image83
    jodigirl88posted 7 months ago

I have a FB group about Healthy lifestly changes. I post recipes in there. Low sodium, diabetic, low cholesterol, low sugars, and you don't have to pay. Lol it's called Healthy Lifestyle Change and Support. If you want to join us. Just say you are from hub pages.