jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

To those near 60 years of age, have you ever experienced sciatica? If you exper

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

To those near 60 years of age, have you ever experienced sciatica?  If you experienced

sciatica, did you have intense, excruciating pain?  Did you receive medical care and did the sciatica simply go away or is it recurring?

2. chuckandus6 profile image75
    chuckandus6posted 2 years ago

I got this pain in my 20s during pregnancy, it usually caused by weight gain,it is a gnawing pain really annoying I don't believe there is a cure for it.

3. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

Like Nichol Marie, I had this during my pregnancies and it is very painful when it flares up. For me I had to change positions often and not spend too much time sitting.  There are yoga poses you can learn that help immensely with it and I would definitely recommend chiropractic care.  My husband has it periodically and he's only 32 and very fit.  His is triggered by a bulging disc in his lower spine, when it acts up it triggers the sciatic pain. He does a series of stretches that he was taught that really take the edge off.  You can look on youtube for stretches for sciatic pain - there are a couple of chiropractors and physical therapists that have placed decent videos.  Good luck.

gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I had sciatica two summers ago.  The pain was infernal.  I went to the hospital, got some pain killers and subsequently the pain vanished.  That summer was the worst summer in my life.  I was housebound for 1 month!

2. chuckandus6 profile image75
      chuckandus6posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Christian good tips I wish I would have tried these years ago.

4. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

I experienced sciatica several years ago when my L5/S1 disc herniated. It was very painful, but the pain went away completely after surgery.
    Unfortunately for me, the same disc later ruptured and the pain was so bad, I was unable to walk. I had to have a second surgery to relieve the pressure on the sciatic nerve. Also unfortunately, the nerve damage is permanent now. I live with daily pain from sciatica.
    I'm also prove to tendonitis and I have rotator cuff pain, tennis elbow, and DeQuervain's tendonitis/Carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands. I've had 5 surgeries to open up those nerve tunnels, but I still need one more surgery in my left thumb.
    Nerve pain is the worst. There is very little relief from it. I've tried Tens units, ice, heat, hot tubs, acupuncture, massage, you name it. The older I get, the worse the pain gets. I'm only 62 now, but I wonder if I will make it to my goal death age of 84.
    I won't make it pain free, that's for sure.

gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I had it two summers ago.  It is HELLISH and UNENDURABLE.  I was housebound during August.  I slept and got up in pain.  Went to the hospital, got medication, and it went away.

5. AuniceReed profile image74
    AuniceReedposted 2 years ago

Well I'm not 60 or have ever had sciatica, but my psychology mentor of many years does suffer from this and is over 60 years of age. He has had it for years, and it does come and go. He does not do any cortisone shots, but has gotten them in the distant past. When he has it, it's quite painful. Now I can tell you that he has an Alexandra Technique teacher who works with him one on one and this has helped him a lot. Also, he has changed his diet and that has made a very big difference for him as of late. The diet he follows is in the book, "Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food" by Dr. Catherine Shanahan.