What is the worst pain you ever experienced?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 70 discussions (116 posts)
  1. rivet3000 profile image58
    rivet3000posted 14 years ago

I remembered when I was 14 years old, I had a lot of overcrowded
    teeth and I told my father.  He said he could remove them
    fast and without pain.  I asked if he could tie a string around
    each tooth and close the door, like Aunt Polly did to Tom
    Sawyer but my dad said that would hurt more so I went
    along with his idea.
    I entered the kitchen and he told me to close my eyes and
    open my mouth.  I did and the next minute I knew, he took a
    wrench and quickly twisted out 4 or 5 teeth and flung them
    into the sink, a gross mess of tooth, tissue and blood.
    I was in a state of shock and upset that my dad had tricked
    me into doing that.  It took awhile for my gums to heal but my
    dad was correct in saying that was fast but OUCH!!!!!

1. Amanda Severn profile image95
      Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jeepers! Couldn't he have taken you to the dentist and had you anaesthetised first?

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't bargain for this "horror story" (lol) when I came to this thread.  It's just disturbing to even think about such a thing.  lol  It's too bad your father ever read Tom Sawyer, I'd say.  lol  Sorry to feel the need to add the laughing faces, but I was just so shocked by your story.   smile

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh my god

i about died reading this yikes sad

i was going to say 13 hours of labor or when i had my finger slammed in the car door at age 5 and it was a mangled mess but...wow....

sadsadsad

3. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
      Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

O. M. G.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A broken leg.

5. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How long did you live with this guy?

6. advisor4qb profile image77
      advisor4qbposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG THAT is child abuse!   You poor thing!

Diverticulosis was pretty painful for me.  The surgery was not a picnic, either...

2. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

Well, my eye fell out....Need I say more?

1. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

um...that pretty much sums it up

3. Mrvoodoo profile image56
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Sharp teeth, lots of enthusiasm, little skill. smile

1. Amanda Severn profile image95
      Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oo er!

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

WHAAAT!!!????
      lol
      you gotta give points for enthusiasm. right...
      trust me it could have been worse...braces....

4. Jane Dee Summers profile image61
    Jane Dee Summersposted 14 years ago

MrV hooray, hooray your back. I've even taken a liking to old bloodeye. There seems to be a new kid around friendlyword (term of endearment FW) check out his teeth. Great hubs.

MrV please tell if you like hubs. We're all waiting.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image56
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey 'WT' just passing through (as always) glad to see you back around too, hope you're still enjoying the HP circus.  Yep Bloodeye's great, he makes haunted houses you know.  And I met FW earlier when he told me I should get married because I thought all women were like spiders. smile

I answered the 'do you like hubs' question.

Happy splashing. smile

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

black widows?

5. archdaw profile image60
    archdawposted 14 years ago

LABOR!!! Hands down

1. profile image0
      Louidam1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree with this!!

2. fortunerep profile image69
      fortunerepposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My sentiments exactly!

dori

6. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I had part of my finger bitten off once. That kinda hurt.

7. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

24hrs of labour x3 with no pain relief and stitches like you can't imagine = rubber ring and whitch hazel and a pain like no other.

1. Wonder_Woman profile image58
      Wonder_Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol i am not a mommy yet but thanks for letting me wait another 10 years. OUCH!

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

16 hours average of labor pains times five children...

8. flighty02 profile image68
    flighty02posted 14 years ago

labour or a dislocated elbow... not much to choose between the two hmm

1. Helen Cater profile image60
      Helen Caterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If they would have dislocated every bone in my body I don't think I would have noticed.

9. Wonder_Woman profile image58
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

Physically:
    MY Bf (while attempting to make macaroni)accidently poured straight off the stove boiling hot water on my hand on accident (since I was holding the drainer for the noodles). Got second dregree burns, didn’t go to the hospital, just put lotion on it. Couldn’t sleep for days bc of the pain. Had to type with one hand at work the next day.

Got bit by a crazed cat (im use to it given that I had cats all my life)  bc she was scared and was protecting her kitten. The bite swelled up and the next day my hand was the size of hulks hand, was forced to come into work the next day and again type with one hand. That night went to the hospital bc the swelling didn’t go down. Was admitted in the hospital for a week, they did surgery to leak out the puss or whatever. Dr let gaps inmy hands heal naturally, now have this pretty big scar on my hand.

Was riding my bike from work, a car was in a rush and made an illegal turn and crushed into me. I blacked out. Fell on my jaw and hand. Fractured my hand. Took one day off work, the next day I went to work… again typing with one hand

All done to the same hand lol my family makes fun of me for having a cursed hand.

Mentally:
    My bf of 4 years got laid off, had a fling with a girl at work, and told me he fell out of love with me all in one day.

10. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

Wow that beats me hands day......ha ha ha ...sorry for the pun..poor you hope you have a new BF now.

lol this isnt a compitition at all, well after my bf got his head on straight he vowed to make it up to me every day. i know its stupid but i beleive people deserve second chances. Im happy i decided to forgive him bc he honestly has earned my love back, we just celebrated out 5th year anniversary last month. But still, the worst feeling in my life thus far

1. Helen Cater profile image60
        Helen Caterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's good to hear and hope you keep that hand out of trouble in future. It may be jinxed.

11. profile image0
    Rick Marlowposted 14 years ago

My second heart attack.

12. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Triple by-pass 9 years ago, total hip replacement 4 months ago.....injection in my left eye 6 days ago. Not finding any other problems for awhile PRICELESS!

13. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I would have to say when I was 5 or 6, I got bit in the neck by the family's dog, a chow chow...that and when I was 7 or so I got my middle finger caught in our Jeep door and the door was locked. Mom struggled to get the key so my finger was stuck for a good 5-10 minutes.

14. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Mu heart stopped for 3 or 4 seconds once. Not only painful, but scary.

15. Lee Boolean profile image60
    Lee Booleanposted 14 years ago

being born.. it was so bad I could not walk or talk for 18 months!

16. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Physical-I had an suddenly had an infected root canal 3 days before I was to go to Europe. I had an emergency root canal...apparently there was pus seeping out of my tooth. Ew.

Mental- When my mum was diagnosed with Leukemia in the blood and brain on Xmas eve...died then in February.

Sorry about you mom sad

17. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

Well I feel really bad for all of you.  Fortunately, I really don't feel pain all too much...

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Everyone feels pain.

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I have a really high pain tolerance.

1. profile image0
          bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For example, I've stitched up my own cuts. 

I've exploded the inner and outer capsules in my anckle and had multiple stress fractures in my foot, and told the doctor I didn't want a cast because I needed to drive my car and didn't need the crutches because they wouldn't fit in my car.  I just wrapped it up and laced up my boot tight and went on with my life.  Actually that happened a week before I built a haunted house for Six Flags.

1. profile image0
            cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

dude....my eyes are like saucers right now.

wish i had your pain tolerance. i'm such a baby when it comes to that kind of stuff. neutral

18. tksensei profile image60

19. tksensei profile image60

20. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

i am in pain .....  i have a back injury.... on very strong pain killers, keep trying to manage without them but it hurts to move then,,,,,,

21. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Lets see, I was shot in the face with a 25 cal pistol, that hurt for all of the 2 seconds I remained conscious. I was run over by a drunk driver while I was on a traffic stop, painful but nothing  broken. I took some shrapnel in my arm and back in Kuwait city, it was lodged so close to my spine that every time I coughed I was in bed for a week. I had a heart attack, very painful until the obstruction is cleared. But the worst pain I ever experienced was when my little girl had to have a catheter placed to help her urinate, the look on her face when it was happening was the most painful experience imaginable!

1. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

god love ya./....... wow you have been through the mill ..... sounds like your a lovely daddy

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I'm pretty too!

1. profile image0
          poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

some guys get all the luck....

1. profile image0
            A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thats pretty funny

22. Paradise7 profile image68
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

I was shot twice by a bad boyfriend but weirdly enough wasn't in pain until the third day.  Either it was shock or the drugs the emergency room gave me, I don't know, but then I woke up feeling like death warmed over, barely, in a dirty microwave.

23. Philent profile image68
    Philentposted 14 years ago

The worst I had experienced was an emotional pain; it was so bad I can't even talk about it yet. sad

24. Paradise7 profile image68
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

I feel for everyone that posted to this thread.  Holy cow, people are troopers!  All that suffering and we still move on, however we can.

I'm finding this thread to be a good one, in a strange way.  Much love to you all and ease of suffering, forevermore.

yikes yikes yikes

25. Lee Boolean profile image60
    Lee Booleanposted 14 years ago

pain does not ask for permission, it simply happens...
    my worst was watching my mom die, I would rather have a live amputation before going through that again

26. sandwichmom profile image59
    sandwichmomposted 14 years ago

I keep reading about childbirth being the most pain- and it is painful- i had natural births with no medications- but far more painful is the emotional pain of watching a lovedo ne die from cancer. My dad recently died- and he has colon cnacer- it was so lsow- it was so horrible- I wish I could have stopped the wasting away process-
    I would very much rather go thru childbirth again rather than what he went thru- Now not every death is this way- my aunt died from lung cancer in less than five weeks- she did not suffer.

Ok for the tooth pulling father- who could do that???? ugh

27. BloodRedPen profile image68
    BloodRedPenposted 14 years ago

I was in the service of my country in early 80s.(peace time mind you)To this day I still carry the pain of killing for my life and my country.

28. Jordan1990 profile image60
    Jordan1990posted 14 years ago

Hmm the worst pain I've ever experienced.
    I first thought of when I had a mole removed and the needle for anesthetic was put directly into the mole-that hurt so much.

But recently I was ill with a severe kidney infection and irritable bowel syndrome cramps at the same time. The pain was excruciating, at one point I went 3 days in a row without sleep sad All better now!

29. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

cancer  and grief my two worst

30. zadrobi profile image61
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

Rivet-- good thread.

(There is a point to this short list)
    Torn MCL, torn hamstring, torn groin x2, broken ankle, half dozen sprained ankles, broken wrist, 5 broken fingers, broken toe.
    I was injured every season for track and football and still managed to break school records for both sports and for weightlifting... my senior year of high school I was in the mix for full ride scholarships for track and football.. the most painful thing of all was loving what I did best and missing my entire senior year of high school sports because of injuries and losing my scholarships... just sitting on the sidelines watching what will be change in a flash to what could have been.

Thanks to everyone for sharing.

31. wsp2469 profile image61
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

When I worked in the adult industry I met a DJ at an all nude strip club.  He told me his "goo-goo" was pierced.  (I use the word 'goo-goo" because just yesterday 13 of my hubs were flagged and I would rather not be censored anymore.  Feel free to go and click on a lot of my hubs and help me get back the points I lost-lol)
    Anyway, I asked him WHY?
    he told me "the chicks dig it" and once you've experienced THAT pain nothing else will ever bother you!
    Personally though, I would have to say the pain of having my heart broken by a woman.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was gonna say some thing like this.
      well..without the "goo goo" I have a cha cha...
      but do we mean emotional or actual physical pain? Emotions can cause physical pain...
      broken fingers, toes, twice broken tailbone, pulled and torn muscles, childbirth, miscarrige with all the labor...
      having the man of your dreams call you a liar and useless....
      I would say that was close to the worst.

32. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

The worst pain I ever felt was when I dislocated my knee, it felt like my leg had broken in two. I've been lucky otherwise.

33. edguider profile image66
    edguiderposted 14 years ago

I guess I have been lucky!!! The only pain I have endured is a broken arm...

34. Jon Allan profile image57
    Jon Allanposted 14 years ago

When i had my tonsils removed this year at age 19, That didnt hurt much, but i got a VERY nasty infection 3 days later. I was in hospital for 2 weeks. The pain was unbearable. I passed out whenever i tried to get up. And i couldnt eat for a bloddy week. It was so swolen that i also had very big problems breathing.

35. DAlfor profile image60
    DAlforposted 14 years ago

Hah, giving birth hurt like hell. I doubt if most men know of that kind of pain.

36. profile image51
    buffalo wingposted 14 years ago

passing a kidney stone--some have told me it is similar to labor pain and i believe them

37. barryrutherford profile image74
    barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

emotional and spiritual pain !

and I had a hyperdermic needle put into my lip a few times after  a car accident some 25 years ago

38. Sheila Wilson profile image85
    Sheila Wilsonposted 14 years ago

I've had 3 children- all natural childbirth and very large babies. My smallest was 8 lb. 15 oz.

But, even that cannot compare with coccygeal pain. Thank God the pain is in intense short bursts lasting only about 20 seconds. The pain is so severe, I can't move or breathe when it occurs. Ironically, my doctor says this pain may be related to the fact that I had such large babies.

Pancreatitis that required hospitalization was another one that was similar in pain level to labor.

39. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

chronic earaches, there's just no relief for days  sad

40. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

Childbirth...even with the small babies!

41. profile image0
    Laura Leighposted 14 years ago

The obvious is childbirth but second to that I would have to say the worst pain I felt was experiencing my youngest son being attacked by a german shepard.  There's nothing that can compare to the pain you feel when your child is hurt and in pain.  He was 5 when that happened and had just started school.  82 stitches along his jaw-line and cheek and 4 years later, he's well  with a faded scar.

42. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Had a skiing accident in my 20's:  laid on the black diamond hill with torn ACL ligaments, two fractures, 100 stress fractures and a dislocated knee (that was just the leg...) and I was stranded on the mountain for 6 hours before they could rescue me due to ice and a storm.  However, this nothing compared to back spasms!

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OW,OW,OW,OW,OW!

43. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Without caring to elaborate (because I'd have to relive the experiences), there are a couple of things I've experienced more painful than childbirth.

I prefer to focus on the fact that I'm still alive and much stronger and healthier, capable of meeting army fitness standards, et cetera.

44. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

The incomprehension and emotional pain as a result of crime.

45. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

A migraine to end all migraines...about 3 times...I had the kind you end up in a hospital over.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh you poor thing sad My husband get those on occassion - no noise - no light

just awful

46. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We built a house in the Hill Country on a hill, go figure. Well once we could move in we decided we needed a yard or my wife felt I needed to fish less. So we terraced our hill with railroad ties. Well we went to this yard where they were really cheap but you had to load them yourself. The one I wanted was on top about 8' up. Well I worked it to the edge and pulled it down. I tripped over one on the ground and fell the tie smashed my hand against the pile beihnd me. It hurt so bad I almost threw-up. My fingers were mashed so bad they burst. No more fingernails, broken fingers with jagged lacerations. Well I got a break from yard work but I couldn't fish either.

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You smashed your hand with Railroad ties...? That one does sound painful...Ow...I can feel it from here...my fingertips are feeling numb-ish...just typing this. And on top of that...you couldn't go fishin'! Hope there is no permanent damage to the nerve endings of your fingers...!?

1. profile image0

I can't pick up change. That was in the 80's but I'll never forget it!

47. Jenny30 profile image59
    Jenny30posted 14 years ago

when I broke my thumb.

48. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

tooth abscess

49. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

getting my finger cut off, and kidney stones 8 different times. Two of those incidents, I passed out on the way to ER. I haven't had any stones for over 17 years, so I hope I'm out of the woods on that one.

1. profile image0

I've heard kidney stones are evil!

2. Jenny30 profile image59
      Jenny30posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ouch! You poor guy!!!

50. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

Having a two hundred pound box mine explode underneath the hummer I was walking in front of. Fortunately I was unconscious for most of the time for a few weeks and the military has good drugs. To the Taliban, Nanner nanner!!!! You missed!

The Hummer got flipped on its top, but the my buddy inside was fine except for a headache. I got to dig a pound of steel and dirt out of my back and legs, definitely ruined my day.

1. profile image0

Now that sucked!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)