After supper, walk a mile. What is supper, nowadays?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Venkatachari M profile image31
    Venkatachari Mposted 3 years ago

After supper, walk a mile. What is supper, nowadays?

I heard this saying also since childhood. But, what is supper? Who takes supper and at what times so that he can walk a mile.

2. peachpurple profile image84
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

supper is after midnight, 12am, that is way too late for a heavy meal, oatmeal should b ok. However nobody walks after supper, might get mob by thieves, right?

Venkatachari Mposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Gracious! Does anybody eat at such an hour? I do not think anybody taking supper unless he is working at night shifts. My last food is Horlicks at 11 pm, just before sleeping.

3. Au fait profile image93
    Au faitposted 3 years ago

People refer to the various meals of the day as follows:

1.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner.

2.  Breakfast, dinner, supper.

What they are called probably relates to a person's social level in society, but not necessarily.  Growing up on a farm, we farm folks had breakfast in the morning early, dinner around noon, and supper around 5-6 PM. 

When my oldest brother married a city girl from an upper middleclass home, she and her family preferred breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

The more educated and refined people often say dinner instead of supper, although people from lower socioeconomic levels have gradually been going with breakfast, lunch, dinner, over time, maybe in an effort to at least pass for the higher social level, and not sound so much like a hick. 

Even though my late husband was a graduate of Harvard Law School, I still like to call the last meal of the day supper.  For one thing, it drives my daughter crazy, and isn't that what parents are for? 

I'm not ashamed of having grown up in the country on a farm.  I have plenty of education and most of my family has even more education than I do.  I don't think growing up on a farm, or being of limited financial means is a characteristic of being poorly educated, or uneducated, or necessarily of low social status. 

Even the Bible refers to the Last Supper, so how uncouth can the word supper really be?  I think the word puts me in good company, if small company, referring to Jesus Christ and His disciples.

The reason you would walk a mile after supper (dinner) is so that you don't just go straight to bed and move all those calories straight to your backside.  Walk a mile and get some exercise to work some of the calories, sugar, and fat off before they make themselves at home permanently.  Always good to rest for about an hour after any meal and then get some exercise.  Walk a mile, or jump rope for 15 minutes, or whatever you prefer to work some of those calories off.

The word supper has been a part of my vocabulary since before I could speak plainly enough to be understood (age 2 or so), and I have never heard of it referring to a meal after 12 AM.  Who has meals then?  Maybe somebody who works nights?  Certainly not a majority of people.  Maybe it is referred to as supper after 12 AM in some other country than the U.S. for some reason I know nothing about, but here in the states, it is as I stated.

Wow, this is great answer and this is what I expected.
      I also never think of or imagine a suppe at that odd hour. Dinner is what supper is. And as you say, lunch is to be regarded as the dinner. Mostly, dinner should be before 3 pm, supper at 8 or 9

4. Carb Diva profile image96
    Carb Divaposted 3 years ago

Some people in the United States (where I live) call the 3 meals breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Others refer to breakfast, lunch, and supper, or breakfast, dinner, and supper.

I think it all depends on where you live were brought up. "Supper" seems to be the name used by people who live in the Midwest and/or work(ed) on a farm.

We do not walk after our evening meal because we do not dine until 7pm. I try to get a walk in prior to the meal, but have not lately because of the weather.

Carb, where I lived previously in a cement factory colony in Northern India, people used to walk after dinner/ supper at 9 pm or 10 pm. It was a good habit for some days. But, now I don't find time or mood to walk because of my computer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)