Is it possible to never work a real job and lead a positive life?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

Is it possible to never work a real job and lead a positive life?

My husband and I are opposites. He is the work 5 days a week to pay for a house and car type while I am the free spirit who likes to just pick up and go, see new places, never be tied down type. He says it isn't possible for adults to lead a positive (setting a good example for children) and productive life without working (a lot) to get there. Surely there is a way right? Do people have to be tied to a certain house and a job to live a fulfilling positive life? What are the options? Is the answer different based on if the person has children?

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

Each of us is here to live life in our own way.  I tried the whole work you way up the corporate ladder gig and I was miserable.  I was born to be a free spirit.  I still make money, I pay the bills and have shown my children that we don't have to do what others "think we should" and that it's perfectly ok to be one's own person, but with that comes the responsibility to care for oneself and others.  I think a lot of people buy the hype that you have to punch a time clock to be "successful" - I don't, and I choose sanity over misery.  As long as I am paying my bills, my taxes and I'm a productive member of society who should really give a rats rear end how I do it?  There are different "right ways" for everyone.  If someone is happy working for others and doing a 9 to 5 more power to them.  If others prefer to freelance or be self-employed more power to them too.  I would just add that being self-employed requires discipline, initiative and the ability to be resourceful - all good lessons for kids in my book as well.  Who defines what a "real" job is anyway?

peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

See I need that middle ground. I don't do well answering to others or adapting to a required schedule. Surely there has to be something I can find that fits that. I want MY sanity over misery! lol!  Thanks

3. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 8 years ago

Peeples, as a little girl we moved a lot. I was an Air Force brat. Even after my folks divorced and my mom remarried, we still moved a lot. It was very hard on me. I went to a different school every couple of years. That's hard on a kid. I never had time to make friends and when I did we'd up and leave. It hurt and made me angry and I had a difficult time knowing how to have a lasting relationship as an adult. It was hard to open up and let others in. I'm sure that has everything to do with why I've been married and divorced twice - both times it was my choice to divorce.

Think about that. Kids need stability, especially when they're young.

If your husband makes enough to support the family, maybe you can be a stay-at-home mom. My mom stayed home all our lives. Without that constant, I probably would have been more difficult than I was.

You really need to do what's best for your kids.

On the one hand, I adapt easily to new situations due to moving a lot. On the other hand, I don't know what it's like to have a lasting relationship whether with a love interest or a friend.

Think about it.

Same here sort of, foster care was constant moving, sadly I became use to it and now sitting still or doing the same thing long becomes agony. I often wonder if there is a middle ground that gives stability to kids and variety for me! Thanks!

2. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sha U have really hit on something profound & Peeple's reply fortified it.  Our history says SO much. My entire life, same street, same house, same 2 bio parents, schedules, routines, habits, structure up the wazoo! I'm a homebody.No surprise!

3. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Peoples, look for work at home jobs or start freelancing. Turn your hobbies into paying gigs. You guys seem to take a lot of day trips. There's plenty you can do to satisfy your free spirit. Our lives get put on the back burner when we become parents

4. peeples profile image92

Yeah, I guess I am just going through a selfish panic moment of "what if I don'ts".

4. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

I really took the time to think about how to say this, because I hate to dash anyone's dreams or fantasies...............However

JUST MY OPINION BASED ON LIFE EXPERIENCES:
    Is it different when "there are children?"   Every single little tiny thing changes or is ultimately subject to change due to our precious K-I-D-S.

In just 2 or 3 minutes, I/we can list dozens....maybe hundreds of things in the lives of 2 people that change the very second you hear that newborn wail.

Ready?  Attitude in general, home atmosphere, finances, schedules, responsibilities, free time, priorities, self-care, relationships, sex life, habits, hobbies, ......are you thinking of MORE things that "change" once there is even only ONE baby?  OK. add one or 2 more.....Anything & everything we once had, did, wanted to do or any place we planned to go......well, let's face it, it all goes into a pile in the middle.

If it's GOOD/responsible/ healthy/safe/realistic for the KIDS....we can maybe discuss it further with the result being the BEST for the kids.
    All decisions point toward their lives, health, happiness, safety, education, development, future stability....etc etc etc.....(sigh)

Now, what was it you were saying about that "free spirit?"   Well, I can't say I blame you for being that sort of personality....and in fact, it sure would be wonderful to BE a free spirit.   Your husband has both feet planted firmly on the ground and tells it like it is.

This does not mean that your free spirit can't win out now and then.  Don't ever change who you are.  You love one another and your children for the individuals you are.  That's great!
    Bottom line?  If this were a voting booth, peeples, I would have no choice but to vote for your husband's way of thinking!....Save your energy for when the darlings have all left the nest.  There'll be plenty of time to be a free spirit!  Really.  (and then your husband can spend his time consoling you when you cry your empty nest song because you "miss the kids!!".).........LOL

Debbie Downer aren't you! LOL! Damn you! I want a middle ground that keeps me fulfilled and my kids fulfilled! I love parenting, but it isn't enough! I need something to add to it. Variety. Maybe he is right! Maybe I'll have to wait! Thanks Paula!

2. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

LMAO!!   And this is WHY no one would ever accuse me of soft-soaping or beating around the bush. I tell it like it is even if it hurts a little!!  (or  a lot!!  LOL)

5. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

"productive life without working (a lot) to get there."
    I'm not sure what that statement means. Does he mean you should get a job? You seem to have a full-time job keeping a great home and raising your kids.
    Going back to the dark ages when I was a stay-at-home mom, I wasn't satisfied either, but then I was thrown into the rat race after a divorce. My kids were 7 and 10 at the time. Now looking back, I'm glad for those years that I did stay at home with them. Sometimes I wish I could relive them -- with a sober father, of course.
    I found creative things to occupy my time, so I know it is possible for you. There is so much more to do today than when my kids were small. But maybe that's only part of the problem. Perhaps you need to get a sitter and get out by yourself or maybe have lunch with a gal pal. My kid's father used to give me one night a week out with my girl friends, and I savored every minute of that. Try it, you might like it, even if he doesn't.

6. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 8 years ago

It depends on your situation. I know you have several children, and their needs change as they get older. If your husband has a great income, maybe you can make it. However, we would have never made it without two incomes. Cheerleader uniforms, sports programs, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, spending money, babysitting fees, clothes, to name a few all cost a lot of money for us. Then, if they go to college, You may have to help with their tuition, fees, books etc. If you live a simple life without a lot of extra expenses, maybe you could make it. When appliances and furniture need replacement, that also costs. Maybe you could be a part time free spirit, or make it if you are frugal. Your life style will determine your destiny.

7. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 7 years ago

To best answer this question it is important to understand your view of a "real" job (I'm not sure if I understand your view of a real job). For example, even today with the growing number of people who earn most or all of their income from home, there is still a stigma attached to those who are not physically working outside of their homes. Just a few of these "jobs" include various jobs in the trillion dollar film & music industries, writers, bloggers, moms/dads, caregivers who are relatives, day traders, salespeople, entrepreneurs and contractors in a variety of industries, and many others. Yet, these people, to the uninformed or cynical, are considered to not have "real" jobs or careers.

With this diverse group of "workers" I'd say it's quite possible to never work a "real" job and lead a positive life while setting a positive example for children and others who may wish to do the same. Particularly where children are concerned, I think it's important to instill in them from an early age that they can (and should) be more than worker bees in life who are pressured into to physically going out and working for someone rather than for themselves no matter where/how the work takes place.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)