jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

To educated/affluent parents out there, how would YOU handle an irresponsible, e

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

To educated/affluent parents out there, how would YOU handle an irresponsible, entitled adult child

(22-30 years of age) who really doesn't want to achieve educationally nor career-wise but prefer to LIVE OFF you socioeconomically a/k/a the parent gravy train?

2. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 2 years ago

As painful as it sounds; I would provide continued food and shelter for him as I try to teach him the necessary survival skills to be on his own. Once the teaching has concluded I would ask him to leave on his own and provide continued communication in the form of long-distance moral support and occasional visits when his struggles begin. Ideally if one could find a place that is inexpensive for him to rent that would significantly facilitate this maneuver.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 2 years ago

Grace, first of all, if that we're me, I'd never look at the adult child as being irresponsible or feeling entitled in the first place.  "Assume a virtue though you have it not."  I would assume that he or she has virtue. Something is missing in a person who gives the affect that he or she is entitled.  I'd try to open up communication with this adult child and find out what is really at the base of this discontent with life. I'd suggest that he or she take the Strong Interest Test and the Meyers Briggs Test to find their passion.  Every human being desires to matter. Often an appearance of feeling entitled is a reflection of low self-esteem.  Look at Donald Trump! Something radically wrong happened to him to have created his world view.  To me, it's an indication of feelings of deep inferiority and insecurity manifested by over-compensation. When you're happy and centered, you create peace and happiness and arrive at Maslow's highest level in the hierarchy of needs - self-actualization

4. Evane profile image53
    Evaneposted 2 years ago

I think it is best to leave them alone. Let them live in a separate house without any communication from you .