Do you have a different routine each day?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 8 years ago

Do you have a different routine each day?

Some people are bored with their daily activities. You need to change your routine to make your lifestyle an interesting part of each day. How do you do it?

2. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

Devika I was just noticing this today. I don't even shave the same way everyday. I don't do the dishes the same way and I don't get up at the same time everyday.
    I was wondering if that is too strange and then your question comes along and I think I will be happy with it the way things are.

1. rolaabboud profile image66
      rolaabboudposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is exactly what I do every day. I some times wake up early and sometimes I do not. I don't study or workout at the same time every day. Routine is a killing thing.

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

With a giggle + giggle I think you should grow a goatee to break up the routine :-) I don't know how that will affect the family structure.

3. DDE profile image47
      DDEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Eric if I may? I don't get up the same time everyday and do the same old everyday it is just the way I like it to be. Thank you

3. Annsalo profile image84
    Annsaloposted 8 years ago

I love routine. My early life had very little routine so as an adult I enjoy knowing what I am doing and when I am doing it.
    I wake up the same time each day. I do the same things at the same time each day, and usually I even go to bed at the same time each day.
    It keeps me feeling like I know what to expect.
    When I get tired of the routine I take a road trip or go somewhere new. Then when I get back home I appreciate my routine again.

1. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

What a disciplined, organized lady!  I'm impressed.  It makes so much sense as you explain the meaning~~especially when you say it allows you to "know what to expect."  You constantly think "positive!"

2. DDE profile image47

Wow! Incredible! I couldn't do that- you have your life under control in that way. Interesting and different. Thank you.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 8 years ago

If it's different every day then it's not a routine.   A routine is a "regular course of procedure, unvarying performance of certain acts." according to my Oxford Dictionary.   So it is impossible to have a 'different' routine every day.   

However, we can vary our routine. 

I'm being pedantic, of course, for I know what you mean.   Maybe the question should have been, "Do your vary your daily routine and, if so, how?"

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This just made me smile. "It was his routine to do it differently every day"

2. DDE profile image47

Hi there people have their own routine some stay with it or change it. In my case I change it often. Thank you for that.

5. WordCrafter09 profile image66
    WordCrafter09posted 8 years ago

There's structure, and then there's routine.  I need a certain amount of structure to my days and weeks, particularly since I do less working for someone else now but still have my "own deal" with my online writing.  Besides liking a certain kind of "framework of structure" (for a number of different reasons), these days I need to keep that more than ever.  By "framework of structure" I mean that I have a general aim for days in the business week versus Saturday and Sunday (two different types of weekend days for me).  Within that I also break up general times of days.  4:30 a.m. to 7:00 a.m:  TV morning news.  7 - 9 a new program. No TV on past 9:00 a.m. - ever (except Sunday, when no-more-TV time is 11:30 a.m.).  I have "anchor things" to create that structure.  If I'm out or busy I may not pay attention to them, but they're there as the "framework".

Saturday is generally for errands and/or any socializing.  Sunday is most often free past, say, noon. Saturday and Sunday nights free and unplanned.

Evening news time the TV goes on again until 7:30, at which time I may or may not watch TV until the 11 p.m. news and late-night talk shows.  I tend to watch x number of sitcoms per week (about four, maybe five, and they differ), and I allow for x-number of drama/"other news" programs (two, maybe three, hour-long drama programs; another couple of "non-fiction" programs).

Other than considering work-days versus the two weekend days as non-changing "purpose", pretty much everything else with the "structure framework" is flexible and changing, depending.

I do have "micro-routines" within that fairly loose structure.  Those are things like clean eyeglasses, phone screens, computer mouse, get purse back to its usual organized state as part of my morning routine.  The "micro-routines" are NOT flexible.  I'm kind of compulsive about them. 

The "structure framework" and "micro routines" give a sense of order to my sometimes very irregular and weird hours and work-type efforts.  I pretty much approach most individual tasks (and most multiple-task aims, such as getting ready for a holiday) with the approach of a "structure framework" and "micro-routines" within the framework.  It would probably appear to be ADHD to someone not familiar with the underlying structure/plan of my approach.  I only include all this in case someone out there thinks a family member has ADHD when, maybe, that's not the case.

1. DDE profile image47

Hello I clean the computer screen and mouse daily also the desk dust accumulates that is my daily routine. other stuff as I need to interesting of you plan each day according to how you need. Thank you

2. fpherj48 profile image61

Oh dear....all this "cleaning" going on.  I can't stand the guilt!

6. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

The short answer is yes. For instance my routine on Friday is to deal with the trash & recyclables in the house, place in the bins, and take it to the street to be picked up. Saturday my routine is to bring the bins in. However, those are because of structure as pointed out by ME Whelan.

I appreciate what Annsalo said regard spontaneous change offers value of routine too. Interestingly I realized like Eric did with his observation that drinking my coffee while writing is not routine. In other words having coffee every morning is routine. Or, is it habit? Now I ponder if the same. But, the point being I notice when I drink breaks my routine sitting and writing at the desk.

It is spontaneous. Yes, sometimes is because I am thirsty a natural biological drive, although mostly not that cause. I realize it does break up routine, offers delight, a moment of mindfulness or living in the present, and oddly now appreciation of routine. Interestingly I don't think I was bored because this question is interesting to me.

Now, I reflect with ponder how to use that for self with larger segments of life that are or seem routine. I will ponder more this day . . . thus will break my routine . . . thanks for the question DDE :-)

1. DDE profile image47

Hi  thanks for that. A break in the routine makes you feel good and positive about yourself. Drinking coffee is a habit. The same routine daily can be boring. It depends if you choose it or has to be that way.

7. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Devika....This may just be the Question of the decade for me.  "Routine," the mere word sends chills up my spine.  I smiled when I read Annsalo's first sentence because my life now (and for the past 15 years,) has been intentionally without routine to counter the structure & mandatory scheduling I was bound to the majority of my life.
    When I juggled raising 4 sons, working full-time & the responsibilities of home-owning, without routine, the alternative would have been utter chaos.
    Yes, no doubt, certain things had to be done on specific days at particular times.  During the school year, each week seemed to be a repeat of the prior & the coming week as well.  The one escape from such structure may have occurred during summer vacation.
    Retired (& widowed) now, all my precious offspring living their lives with their own families, I am free to follow my heart, my mood & my imagination.  Trust me, that's what I do.  It's the most wonderful, liberating experience in the world and I love it.  I have eliminated "routine" from my life completely.  In fact, I purposely & stubbornly avoid doing anything in the present moment that I might have done yesterday!!
    BORING.......LOL.   Great question Devika. It may have even inspired a HUB~ Thank you!... Peace, Paula

1. Annsalo profile image84
      Annsaloposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I often wonder if I will revert back to this when my kids are grown. I was a free spirited person back before kids. Now routine is all that keeps me sane. Lol!

2. fpherj48 profile image61

I would not lie to you, GF.  You WILL revert.  Human nature.  We all know how to be responsible when necessary, but always yearn for that foot-loose & fancy-free life, deep within. When it's possible, you'll embrace it! and you will love it.

3. DDE profile image47

I wrote a hub  http://hubpages.com/health/What-is-your … nt-Routine and thought why not ask the question. Paula you are so right to not have a routine since yuo don't have siblings living with you great! Thank you

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)