jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is it normal to escape life by dreaming and sleeping.?

1. Anndrea Baily profile image61
    Anndrea Bailyposted 23 months ago

Is it normal to escape life by dreaming and sleeping.?

Sometimes I just feel like sleeping for ever. Hiding in my room for days wanting to speak to no one crying. I have ups and downs and would like to now if im the only one that's feels like this. am I normal...??? Being bipolar and depressed sucks but that's probably life...

2. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 23 months ago

These actions are signs of depression.   It is recommended that you seek a qualified psychological counselor to discuss your problems with.   Life is meant to be embraced & engaged/involved in.  You were placed on earth to use the most of your human potential.   Failing to use the utmost of your human potential is a life wasted.   I urge you to seek counseling regarding your depression.  Avoiding the problem won't make it disappear but will only exacerbate it.   Please face your problems head on-that way you with the help of a counselor can get to the root of the problem so you can thrive in life.

1. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I agree with you.
      It's normal to do these things when someone is depressed!

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image77
    Michaela Osieckiposted 23 months ago

I've been dealing with these kinds of ups and downs for years, even with therapy and medication off and on. So you're not alone - a lot of us suffering with mental illness go through these bouts of nastiness.

If you haven't sought out treatment, I highly suggest you do. It works really well for a lot of people, but it's something you have to stay on top of - therapy is a lengthy process, medications don't work overnight, etc.

Certain lifestyle changes help in their own small ways too, like getting outside and around nature more, making sure to eat as regularly and healthy as you can, getting a bit of exercise - even if it's just going for a walk. Sleeping is good, but if you sleep too much you never get any of your energy back.

Like I said though, we all have our downswings. Make sure to take care of yourself during those times - watch your favorite movie, pamper yourself, reach out to a friend, etc.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 23 months ago

Wanting to "check out" is usually a sign of depression.
    Learning to control one's own thoughts is probably the most difficult thing in the world. We have so many things in our life competing for "mindshare". (Family, friends, co-workers, bosses, 24 hour news channels, Ads, spouses/significant others, and Internet articles...etc)
    It helps when one knows them self well enough to know what cheers them up, motivates them, or activities they help them take their mind off of things. For some people it's reading a good book, taking a walk, working out,listening to their favorite music, or going to see a movie.
    Believe it or not some people want to avoid being around "happy" people or participating in activities they normally enjoy when they're feeling "blue". They often disconnect from others in order wallow in it. They'll turn off their phones, refuse to answer the door, and so on.
    Just having a small mental break can reinvigorate one into putting things in to perspective. There's always something good in our life.
    It's also important to have something to "look forward to" on your calendar. When we don't everyday is the same.
    The world may not owe you anything but (you) owe yourself the world!