Would you participate in a clinical trail for a vaccine to fight a disease you c

1. Johnny James A profile image73
    Johnny James Aposted 21 months ago

Would you participate in a clinical trail for a vaccine to fight a disease you could avoid?

The Oregon Health and Science University is conducting a landmark clinical trail on an HIV vaccine.  Hopefully, this trial will prove successful in the human testing phase. My question is, how many of you would be willing to test out a vaccine of this type and then afterwards knowingly expose yourself to a virus or disease in order to help promote science, and what do you think would be going through your mind as you made the decision to participate or not participate?

2. Matthew Woolsey profile image66
    Matthew Woolseyposted 21 months ago

If you don't have money, Hope in a clinical trial which would be free could give an option you may not have otherwise. It could be some people's only hope.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 21 months ago

I would say no to HIV, because yes, it is very preventable as long as you are sexually faithful to your partner and stay away from injected illegal drugs. (around 90% of new HIV cases are homosexual and heterosexual men).

The one that would be a maybe to me is the Zika virus. You can try to avoid it, but with the federal government's open borders and unwillingness to screen immigrants for diseases (which is why TB and measles rates are rising), you can't expect the virus to stay out of unaffected areas. And trying to not get the virus given how bad the side effects are if a woman gets pregnant are almost worth the risk of an experimental vaccine.