How do I help a relative soldier who has PTS (Post Traumatic Stress) Syndrome

1. rgasperson lm profile image89
    rgasperson lmposted 19 months ago

How do I help a relative soldier who has PTS (Post Traumatic Stress) Syndrome

I have a cousin who came back from the Middle East shook up by what he saw over there. I want to help but I don't know where my place is in his recovery. Please help.

2. Dr Bill Tollefson profile image83
    Dr Bill Tollefsonposted 19 months ago

I am places this link to give you some hope that there is away to reduce PTSD symptoms without drug. I have been helping survivors for over a decade as well as vets coming back from war.
    Hope this helps.
    http://hubpages.com/health/PTSD-A-Battl … of-its-Own

3. Sheila Wilson profile image82
    Sheila Wilsonposted 19 months ago

As someone who has Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), I'd first like to thank you for asking that question. You've done one of the most important steps already by recognizing that you play a role in recovery and that you care enough to try to find answers. 

Realize that your cousin needs to go at his own pace with recovery. If he has been diagnosed with the disorder, I hope he is receiving help from the doctors and support groups available to him. However, and this is unfortunate, don't assume that he's getting all the care he needs from the military. When it comes to being involved with the actual treatment such as going with him to psychiatrist appointments, you can offer to be involved and let him decide what he needs.

Recovery from PTSD is a process. Though there are similarities, everyone's experience is different. In the beginning, I had flashbacks and I was so scared all the time that I couldn't answer my door if someone knocked. I was too afraid to check my mail. It's been 6 years since I was diagnosed, I still can't go out in public by myself, but I can check my mail and answer my door. I keep pushing myself to do more, and I keep improving but progress has been slow steps. If your cousin has problems coping with daily activities, be understanding and and encourage small improvements. Most of all, listen. I have an aunt who would laugh at my anxiety and say if I would just go out more, I'd feel better. She was wholly clueless, and I don't talk to her any more.

Learn what you can about the disorder and its symptoms. There are things you may not think of that can be real struggles for your cousin. I used to like the 4th of July but now I can't stand it. PTSD causes an exaggerated startle reflex which gets frustrating fast when exposed to loud noises. Another thing you may want to learn about is flashbacks. I've written a hub about that here: http://hubpages.com/health/What-Happens … -Flashback

Being patient and supportive are important for families. Ask your cousin how you can help. Your cousin will need to learn a lot to cope with the illness such as challenging negative thoughts, self-care, and grounding exercises. I will tell you that PTSD is something that I would not wish on my worst enemy. It's not going to be easy. But recovery is very possible and there's a lot of support available.

working