How do I help a relative soldier who has PTS (Post Traumatic Stress) Syndrome

1. rgasperson lm profile image81
    rgasperson lmposted 7 years ago

How do I help a relative soldier who has PTS (Post Traumatic Stress) Syndrome

I have a cousin who came back from the Middle East shook up by what he saw over there. I want to help but I don't know where my place is in his recovery. Please help.

2. Dr Bill Tollefson profile image79
    Dr Bill Tollefsonposted 7 years ago

I am places this link to give you some hope that there is away to reduce PTSD symptoms without drug. I have been helping survivors for over a decade as well as vets coming back from war.
    Hope this helps.
    http://hubpages.com/health/PTSD-A-Battl … of-its-Own

3. Sheila Wilson profile image87
    Sheila Wilsonposted 7 years ago

As someone who has Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), I'd first like to thank you for asking that question. You've done one of the most important steps already by recognizing that you play a role in recovery and that you care enough to try to find answers. 

Realize that your cousin needs to go at his own pace with recovery. If he has been diagnosed with the disorder, I hope he is receiving help from the doctors and support groups available to him. However, and this is unfortunate, don't assume that he's getting all the care he needs from the military. When it comes to being involved with the actual treatment such as going with him to psychiatrist appointments, you can offer to be involved and let him decide what he needs.

Recovery from PTSD is a process. Though there are similarities, everyone's experience is different. In the beginning, I had flashbacks and I was so scared all the time that I couldn't answer my door if someone knocked. I was too afraid to check my mail. It's been 6 years since I was diagnosed, I still can't go out in public by myself, but I can check my mail and answer my door. I keep pushing myself to do more, and I keep improving but progress has been slow steps. If your cousin has problems coping with daily activities, be understanding and and encourage small improvements. Most of all, listen. I have an aunt who would laugh at my anxiety and say if I would just go out more, I'd feel better. She was wholly clueless, and I don't talk to her any more.

Learn what you can about the disorder and its symptoms. There are things you may not think of that can be real struggles for your cousin. I used to like the 4th of July but now I can't stand it. PTSD causes an exaggerated startle reflex which gets frustrating fast when exposed to loud noises. Another thing you may want to learn about is flashbacks. I've written a hub about that here: http://hubpages.com/health/What-Happens … -Flashback

Being patient and supportive are important for families. Ask your cousin how you can help. Your cousin will need to learn a lot to cope with the illness such as challenging negative thoughts, self-care, and grounding exercises. I will tell you that PTSD is something that I would not wish on my worst enemy. It's not going to be easy. But recovery is very possible and there's a lot of support available.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)