Being crazy

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    daflaposted 15 years ago

I don't suffer from mental illness, I enjoy every minute of it!

Seriously, I was in a group therapy session once, and I said I was crazy, but at least I wasn't boring, and the doctor said "Do you know what you just said?"  As I didn't have a clue (because I'm mentally ill, right?)  I just looked at him, puzzled.  He said, "You just said that reality is boring".

I looked back at him in all seriousness and said "Well, isn't it?"

I sort of live my life that way. Mentally healthy people are boring, by and large.  The most interesting people I know are just a tad off kilter, and have a few bats in their belfries.

Now, I'm not talking about seriously mentally ill people, who can turn your life absolutely upside down, and hurt you no end.  I'm talking about people like me, just a little eccentric and unpredictable.

So what do you say?  Would you rather be a little bit mad, or boring?

I'm with Rob Thomas "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell".

2. steimmanbernard profile image61
    steimmanbernardposted 15 years ago

just be true to your self... try to know your role function and what your strength is.

1. profile image0
      daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ah...my strength, and sometimes my curse, is honesty.  If I say something to you, you know you can trust it's the truth, even if it's not what you want to hear.

3. Bob Ewing profile image64
    Bob Ewingposted 15 years ago

I find reality fascinating as there is so much we do not even understand but then I decided to walk another path long ago.

1. profile image0

Well, it's not so much "reality" that's boring, it's everyday life.  Reality is stranger than fiction.  I'm on a very different path than anyone I know.  I get bored when things stay the same, in fact, I get bored with security.  I have to drop out and live on the edge sometimes to keep myself going.

4. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

When reality gets crazy, is it healthy to be "normal?"

1. profile image0

Sanity is the insanity of the insane, and vice versa.

5. Bob Ewing profile image64
    Bob Ewingposted 15 years ago

i do not find everyday life boring, I have been living out on the self-imposed edge for many years and everyday is an adventure, sure some patterns repeat themselves but that simply provides context and memory.

1. profile image0

This is my "edge living"...I had a stable, full time job, and was just barely making ends meet.  My boss was harrassing me, and it got very stressful.  I could have just transferred to another store, but I quit after being there over two years.   I had good benefits, and although I was sorta living on the edge financially, I was paying the bills.  I could have gone to another store within 30 days and  been rehired, kept all that, but instead, I chose not to.  I chose to pursue a career doing something entirely different...anything, actually, rather than be relegated to being nice to assholes and being a peon the rest of my life.  I'm in a bit of financial trouble now, but I've finally found a way to get out of it, which I will.

That is my edge.  I can't stand a mundane existence.  While it's nice having security, I don't like sameness, so I regularly put myself in financial peril to shake myself up.

Sort of dangerous when you're over 50, but WTF...I'm probably not going to live to a ripe old age anyway.

6. spryte profile image74
    spryteposted 15 years ago

I've never trusted the expert advice of therapists...especially since I was told I suffered from an inappropriate sense of humor.

Anyway...I suppose it depends on your version of reality whether it's dull or not.  Bob's reality sounds rather interesting and I probably wouldn't find it boring at all.  But essentially I agree with you...the mundane tasks of life "i.e. the usual reality for most people" is often boring and I'd rather hang out with the eccentrics.

1. profile image0

WTH is an "Inappropriate sense of humor"?  I must have one too, because sometimes people just look at me strange when I laugh at things.  I'm pretty inappropriate all around.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

I don't think a sense of humor is ever inappropriate. Though there are some instances when one should not verbalize their humorous thoughts.

1. thranax profile image71
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

True.

~thranax~

1. profile image0

Yes, I've had to choke back a smile on many an occasion.

2. profile image0

I don't know, some people do have a sick sense of humor, I guess.  But sick and inappropriate are two different things.  For instance, I would think it sick for someone to laugh over the death or serious injury of a child, but if a kid is having a complete hissy fit over a scraped knee, I would find that comical.  A lot of people find it inappropriate when I laugh over things like that.  With my own kids, I many times laughed at them when they were having tantums, and they got very angry.  When they were grown, they threw that up in my face, and I said "But seeing you go all red in the face over not being able to have pudding cup before dinner is just FUNNY!"  They still think I was mean.

8. akeejaho profile image59
    akeejahoposted 15 years ago

There is nothing wrong with being crazy, it's what you do with it that matters!

9. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

'Its your life' as Bon Jovi once said. As long as we bring no harm to others we should keep a little insanity to ourselves, it keeps us from going totally insane.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)