Eating the placenta?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (46 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

I was watching a parenting show a few days back and one of the mom's on the show had a home business preparing placenta for eating, from making smoothies to pills the mother could take as needed.  The claims are at times a little hard to believe but at others reasonable, it containing iron and protein (both of which can drop dramatically after birth).
    Having grown up on a farm I know our animals ate the placenta after child birth, tho I as a kid found it totally disgusting. The thing is, it wouldn't surprise me if mother nature has given us a great 'package' to help mother and baby be healthier that us humans completely ignore (it would be typical of us LOL).
    So I guess I am wondering if others have heard about this, what do you think/feel about it? Disgusting? Irrelevant? Invaluable? Indifferent?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I watched a documentary some years ago about women who eat the placenta. one women fried hers with onions and garlic. I have no doubt that they're packed with nutrition, but I just couldn't bring myself to eat my placenta I'm afraid. Good luck to anyone who has the stomach for it, though.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Except in the case of women who don't live  they'd otherwise absolutely starve to death), it's pretty neurotically self-absorbed (kind of a pun type of thing there) to eat that for any nutrients.  a)  It's not like it's going to be available indefinitely and could be relied on forever (so, really, what's the point?), b) there are ways to get nutrients without doing something that gross, c) the world has had plenty of women who live to past their nineties without ever having eaten a placenta (which would suggest we can live to a long life without doing that), and d) there are a lot of people who are just too obsessed with the whole elements-of-childbirth thing, and who pay far too little to the whole child-development/baby's needs thing for it not to be a sign that they have some "issues".

As far as the animals-eating-stuff thing goes, animals have been known to eat their own vomit (and worse), as well as the vomit (and worse) of other animals.  Just because animals do something it doesn't mean we ought to.  lol  (Call me "judgmental".)  I think Nature gave us the brains that got us past a whole lot of (certainly not all) animal behavior.  No point  returning to some of it now.  big_smile

2. shea duane profile image58
      shea duaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i couldn't do it even if i wanted to

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Disgusting of course.  We're not animals.  Next thing we know, someone will advocate eating our vomit and feces too.  And some fools will probably follow that lead.

kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are people who drink their own urine tongue
        I get the idea its for health reasons? Something like they want to make sure the urine is healthy? I think I would prefer placenta lol

2. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

It is totally normal to eat placenta in most parts of the world where it is also normal to eat the parts of animals that we turn our noses up at in the so-called developed world  -  although of course we get fed them anyway in sausages and other processed foods.

In China it is highly regarded as having many nutrients that are otherwise hard to get, and good for the immune system.

I personally would not touch it with a barge pole, any more than I would eat chicken feet that the missus is crunching on as I write !

Chicken feet are right up there with placentas as a no thank you, type meal!

3. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I would rather have a slice of pizza

Would you like fried placenta on that?

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

depends.. does it cost extra?

No, and I can also add chicken feet for good measure.

2. kirstenblog profile image78

You sure?

4. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

ewww

5. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

why stop at the placenta??

***TOS-violating image snipped***

Ugh, there's no salad cream on that baby.

low calorie

2. shea duane profile image58
      shea duaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

funny

3. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please tell me that is not a real baby.

the baby is real, but the lettuce is fake

6. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Wow, I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.

The fact that I currently have a placenta mixed with it being before noon has just  ensure that there will be no breakfast for me this morning... maybe no lunch either.  And a smoothie is damn sure out of the question.

The dreaded morning sickness Melissa, that tends to last alllllllllllll day long ?? Congrats by the way.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank ya hon smile I think it's the dreaded body in general saying "WTF?  Lady, I'm too old for this" I'm already miserable and I have MONTHS to go.

my wife is a week and a half away...

I wish this whole pregnancy took 5 minutes.....

just like the conception part

Way to go, Greekone is about to become a daddy! First time? Please don't put the newborn between two slices of bread, Greek.

second time.. first one is 1 and 1/2....

after this one, my tubs will be tied, cut, and burned

Ahh, a little playmate for baby number 1.  Don't worry about the tubs, it can't be that bad or only one man would have followed  through with it. Congrats anyway, you'll have to post some pics. Not of the tubs, the baby! Just for clarification.

the breast feeding is gonna hurt like hell!

Buy a breast pump.

2. WryLilt profile image88
                    WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Milkmen: Fathers who Breastfeed

I knew you were very avant garde, Greek!

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

The first few months are always rotten IMO. Just think though, new play mate for LIlly. Instead of Mom having to provide all the attention she'll have a new little brother or sister to get into mischief with. There are advantages. big_smile

Unless the second child is the first childs' nemesis, and from what I can tell thats usually the case.

3. kirstenblog profile image78

You knocked up too then?
          I have been trying for over 3 years and while my doctors appt is friday I am still getting excited big_smile (I know I shouldn't, at least until I see a doctor and make sure its not a chemical 'fake' pregnancy or anything)
          I am finding there are a lot of weird sounding things that parents do and not always sure what to make of it all hmm lol

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
            MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

CONGRATS!  Chemical pregnancies are exceedingly rare, so I'm guessing you really have an acorn in there.  We are probably close to the same due date, let me know if you want to commiserate at any time smile

As this is number 5, the whole nemesis thing has likely been worked out. (Although Lily is the only girl so far and another girl might cause a bit of jealousy)

2. anonimuzz profile image61
      anonimuzzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ohhhhhh, I like big bellies and babies. My weird way of saying it "Congrats, own it, rock it and love it", lol.

7. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I feel quite, quite ill now.  I was just about to start preparing a curry for dinner, but I've gone off the idea.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol   Thinking about eating placentas will do that to some people.   lol

8. Shesabutterfly profile image95
    Shesabutterflyposted 12 years ago

My friend made her placenta into pills and she didn't suffer any postpartum depression and had a lot more energy after the birth of her second child than she did with her first. It worked wonders for her, however I don't think it's right for everyone. Others prefer to use medical help rather than all natural supplements. I on the other hand don't think I could bring myself to consume my placenta.

1. WryLilt profile image88

I had SO much energy after the birth of my second child. And that was without eating the placenta. I think second pregnancies are much more draining because you've got another child to care for and you're usually bigger, too.

2. kirstenblog profile image78

The lady on the show I watched made the pills and claimed it helped with energy, preventing the depression etc.
      She even went so far as to saying that the pills could help with as much as menopause, that seemed like quite a claim!

I do remember hearing years ago that some rich women were able to have the umbilical cord frozen and that the stem cells in it could then be used if the child ever fell ill and needed their own stem cells. That seemed interesting and the recent show with women eating their placenta sorta reminded me of that older story.

1. WryLilt profile image88

Kirsten, collecting and storing the cord blood is becoming quite a common practice. What they don't tell you is that doing so reduces the natural iron and blood that baby is meant to receive from the placenta:

http://midwifethinking.com/2011/02/10/c … e-midwife/

I delayed with both of my girls.

9. ALUR profile image60
    ALURposted 12 years ago

I had once seen a similar show. I don't know if I want back what comes out. That's all I'm saying...lol!

10. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

That's gross beyond words.

that does seem to be the consensus lol big_smile

11. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Oh Wow... That's Great and Congrats on your acorn Kirsty!  smile
    I've heard somewhere that you should never lie down with Oak Trees! smile

12. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I'm sure there might have been a time in mankind's early history when eating the placenta had some health or nutritional benefit, but I think I'd rather take a supplement.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)