Best Non-Animal Protein Source

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (51 posts)
  1. vespawoolf profile image93
    vespawoolfposted 12 years ago

What is the best source of non-animal protein I can add to my diet, not including supplements like protein powder?

1. Eliminate Cancer profile image62
      Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you eat a variety of vegetables, grains, and legumes, you probably don't have to worry about getting enough protein.  Your body makes what it needs, and the quality of that protein is superior to animal proteins.

vespawoolfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your feedback. We do eat a lot of quinoa. I suppose that would qualify!

1. rmcrayne profile image90
          rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Quinoa, millet, amaranth and buckwheat are all high in protein.  I put in some recipe links in one of my Body Ecology hubs. You can find plenty of recipes on sites like allrecipes.

Thanks, I'll take a peek at your Body Ecology hubs. Amaranth and quinoa are both common in the Andes, although I tend to use quinoa more often.

2. vespawoolf profile image93

Could you please direct me to your Body Ecology hub?

1. rmcrayne profile image90
              rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HP has really cracked down on posting links, even when related, and considers it self promotion.  Even alluding to hubs has supposedly gotten a hubber banned from the forums. Go to my profile, and "search contact by rmcrayne".

2. BlissfulWriter profile image72
      BlissfulWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you consider eggs non-animal, then it would be your best protein source.  In fact, I believe eggs to be a better protein source than meat.

However, if you want to avoid animal products (of which eggs are), then beans is a great protein source.

2. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I think I mentioned somewhere here that I've been sprouting beans and they are a wonderful source of protein, plus they just taste so refreshing.  Uses: salads, stir fries, ground up in bread, as a simple snack, marinated in lots of dishes but especially tossed with other veggies and slightly steamed.  It takes some time and attention to do it without them turning sour, but it is well worth it.  And did I mention how inexpensive they are when you sprout them yourself?

That's something I haven't considered for a long time. I used to own a sprouter, a special jar with a top for easy draining. I'm sure I could rig someting up on my own, though. I'll look into it! Sprouts are delicious, to boot.

3. Anti-Valentine profile image74
    Anti-Valentineposted 12 years ago

Peanuts. Peanut butter is said to be one of the things recommended for those who can't eat meat, but need protein - which everyone needs.

And peanut butter is delicious! Good suggestion, and easy to keep on hand for whenever hunger strikes.

1. jimmylesaint profile image59
        jimmylesaintposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Peanut butter and aflatoxin???

vespawoolfposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, jimmylesaint. I make homemade peanut butter on a weekly basis, but haven't tried aflatoxin.

4. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

I was a very small skinny child and my mom was conscerned because I didn't eat much especially meat.

The doctor says, of course, Peanut Butter.

I of course ate lots of peanut butter as a kid.

So yes that is a good suggestion.

I'd also say,
    cheese,
    beans,
    nuts of almost any kind,

and eggs.

I suppose any kind of nut butter woudl work: almond butter, cashew butter, etc.

5. fitmom profile image73
    fitmomposted 12 years ago

I don't know if you do dairy or not, but cottage cheese is a great source of protein and is delicious paired with some fruit. Black-eyed peas also have high protein content. I make Ezekiel bread, which has beans and grain and counts as a complete protein. It is delicious! The Ezekiel bread that you can buy in the store is like cardboard though.

The Ezekiel bread gets my attention. Do you have a recipe for it? I'd definitely be interested.

1. fitmom profile image73
        fitmomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi! I'm thinking it would be a great subject for a hub. I'm putting the finishing touches on my first one. I'll have to do that topic next.  smile

Okay. I'll keep an eye on your hubs. Thanks!

6. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

Here are some suggestions here: 

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1979564

Thank you, rmcrayne. looks good!

7. savanahl profile image65
    savanahlposted 12 years ago

I've heard that soy and whey proteins are excellent sources.

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

For complete protein, a bean plus a grain.

1. profile image54
      Robertr04posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Chlorella has more protein than beef and more calcium than milk. packed with vit.A, B1-B12, E, folic acid, iron, magnesium, potassium,selenium, amino acids and cardio systems. It tones and detoxifies the immune system, liver,kidneys, blood,digestive system and more. Removes chemical toxins from the body, including chemo therapy. Curbs the appetite, useful in weight loss. If that's not enough, try Spirulina.High quality protein content, high vegetable iron amd magnesium content ,the unsaturated, essential fatty acids, a rich source of chlorophyll, and an abundant supply of growth elements for new cellular life RNA and DNA as well as a reliable vegetable source of vit. A,B1,B2,Niacin, and B12 makes this a very valuable plant to properly nourish ourselves. It also protects against radiation and helps us rid ourselves of it. Both are water plants known as algae best taken in a herbal extracts.

Wow, these are very interesting suggestions. Thank you. I'll have to find out if they are available here. If not, I could feasibly import them someday.

1. profile image54

I have written a hub you may find interesting with more info on these herbs.Try robertr04.hub

Great hub! Thank you!

9. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

Nuts and cheese smile

1. profile image54

Dairy products, you have got to be joking? Cheese is from an animal source.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I assumed 'non-animal' source meant 'not meat' as in 'vegetarian', and cheese can be made suitable for vegetarians if rennet is not used.

2. vespawoolf profile image93

mistyhorizon2003, nuts are a great idea. I do eat plenty of almonds and almond milk.

10. Jon Green profile image86
    Jon Greenposted 12 years ago

Tofu is great - though it's better when it's freshly made. As a veggie, I would be lost without it! It doesn't taste of much, but with soy sauce it's terrific. You can just stir-fry it with noodles and veg for a great quick meal - under 5mins.

Good suggestion. I used to eat it all the time, but it's not available in my neck of the woods. Maybe I'll have to learn to make it!

1. Jon Green profile image86
        Jon Greenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There you go - a business opportunity! Making tofu as a cottage industry.

Great idea. Thanks!

2. the girls profile image69
      the girlsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tofu is my best protein substitute - tofu soup, fried tofu, steamed tofu , baked tofu and many more.

We used to put tofu in smoothies as well!

1. profile image54

It's not about the rennet, it's about what the animal was fed. Organic dairies are not allowed to feed their cows with gains grown with pesticides. They can't use antibiotics or growth hormones. The thought behind not using animal or animal products is based on those facts, I don't eat meat because it is extremely difficult to find truly clean meat, plus the digestion and acid problems .

I'm not a vegetarian, but would like to increase protein intake without relying on animal products. I do agree that there's a big difference between organic and non-organic dairy.

2. the girls profile image69
          the girlsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

.I hope tofu smoothie tastes good :-)

Since tofu is mild-flavored, it mostly thickens the smoothie and adds protein.

11. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 12 years ago

Garbanzo beans, aka chickpeas, humus, ceci, Egyptian pea, gram kichererbse, and revithia, are high in protein and they can be used in a surprisingly wide variety of recipes.

We love hummus...I'm not familiar with the last two listed. I'll have to look into it. Thank you! you should write a hub...

12. Journey * profile image69
    Journey *posted 12 years ago

Hi vespawoolf, like RTalloni, I would most recommend chick peas / garbanzo beans for a non-animal protein source.

Great idea! I made pita and hummus just yesterday. I guess that would qualify. :   )

13. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

Spirulina has the highest natural content of protein in the plant world.  It is about 65% to 71% protein. Another great source is hemp, which also contains omega 3-6-9 and branch chain amino acids. Granted it is a powder, but you can't get a better source of protein and since it doesn't need to be cooked, when you consume it, you get ALL of the protein. When you cook veggies and meat, the majority of the proteins are destroyed.

A great book you may want to look into is Superfoods by David Wolfe. He describes the top 10 superfoods, plus some honorable mentions. It's an excellent read.

This is great information. I'll look for that book on Amazon. I'm not sure if hemp or spirulina is available in Peru, but I'll look into it. Since it's a coastal country I'm sure at least the spirulina can be found. Thank you!

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
        Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're quite welcome. I'm sure you can order it online if you can't find it in Peru, although I'll warn you it is a bit pricey. Hemp you can get from Nutiva. Their hemp and all other products are grown 100% organically and it's not as pricey as spirulina. It contains slightly less protein, but is just as easily abosrbed.

Wolfe has information on ordering spirulina and other superfoods on his personal website, davidwolfe.com. big_smile

2. profile image54
        Robertr04posted 11 years agoin reply to this

While you are out getting books, try Taking Every Bite Seriously by LaKeta McCauley.

Great, thanks for the advice Robertr04!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)