jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (38 posts)

Humira, Enbrel, etc.

1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago

Anyone have experience (personal or of friends, etc.) who've had these drugs prescribed?   I'm looking for any and all information about their effectiveness and usage, side effects, etc.
    I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and considering the usage of Humira, possibly Enbrel or other injectable meds.

Anyone willing to share would be appreciated, but I understand if you don't wanna too! smile

1. profile image0
      donnaMhicksposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I cannot take either of these or even methotrexate because of the risk of lowered immunity. Biologics are known to cause injection site reactions, flu-like symptoms and several other side effects, up to and including lymphoma.
      That said, of course as with any other medication, everyone who takes the medication will not experience the same side effects and may have none at all.
      If you have any history of any other immune disorders besides the RA, or any other conditions which cause you to have problems fighting off infections, you may want to seriously consider whether this is the right option for you. Of course you will want to discuss it further, not only with your primary care doc, but with your rheumatologist. Enter each biologic name and "side effects" at drugs.com for a full list and explanation of side effects.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks donna.
        I don't have a history of other immune disorders.
        I'm just researching.  The methotrexate with combined other meds aren't working as good as needed.  Yet I don't want to go from the fryin' pan into a fire, 'cause of the side effects of humira, etc., and the fact that they're newer drugs than the methotrexate.

I hope you're doing okay!  I know it's hard when the options are limited.

1. profile image0
          donnaMhicksposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Its really good you are doing all the research in advance and weighing your options.
          I wish you the best and hope you are able to find the right meds that work best for you.

1. profile image0

Thank you.   I've already seen some good reviews.  But some horrid ones too.  There's a hubber who made a hub about his/her experience with Humira; first it was good, then the side effects were awful.

http://attani.hubpages.com/_1znaavnikwi … e-is-Tough

That's what I mean by trying to research the long-term history of Humira etc.   I don't wanna start taking it and then it cause much worse problems.  If I'm gonna do that, I might as well stick with what I'm taking now and just take Prednisone at intervals, even though Prednisone is bad if used long-term.

By the way, thanks Attani for the hub.  I'm gonna look for other hubs on this issue too.

2. profile image67
      Writer Chuckposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi brenda,

I know about Humira and Embrel first hand.  I have been a Rheumatoid arthritis patient for about twenty years. I was on Humira for six years and it was great. Unfortunately it stopped working and I'm now on Embrel. The humira strightend my twisting fingers and got rid of the nodules. 

Both the Humira and Embrel are to be used with Methotrexate.  I hope this information helps as Rheumatoid arthritis can be devastating.

Writer Chuck

1. profile image0

Thanks Writer Chuck.
        I'm only a little over a year into this disease, but it was severe from the onset, not gradual.  And yes I've heard it can be a roller coaster when it comes to which meds work for which person and for how long.....
        I'll think about what you said.  I guess if the injections can work for several years, and then it's feasible to switch to a different one, it might be worth it to try them.   I'm still pondering.  Thank you so much for the info, and I hope you continue to stay stable on the Enbrel.

3. Julie Fletcher profile image77
      Julie Fletcherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have 'Rupus', RA and Lupus. My best results have come from rotating aspirin, Tylenol, and ibuprofen along with adding a lot of b12 to my vitamin routine. I found out by accident the red wines help almost all of my pain go away if I have half a glass. Another thing that helps is kombucha tea - I tried it because a friend sent me a Scoby, noticed a few days later that my RA symptoms were hardly noticeable. Wishing you a lot of luck with this!

1. profile image0

Thanks Julie!  I appreciate your comments and info.  Never heard of kombucha tea, but have tried several different kinds.   I'm glad you've found what works for you.

4. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image79
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't really know if you are ready for this, natural healing has been best for me, Brenda.  Having heard so many side effects on mainstream medication and the ill effects many may have on our immune system, further complicating our current illness, I have learned to trust more lemon juice and apple cider vinegar mixed with tap water to help prevent arthritis and gout, and I have not avoided beans as these have been found out to be strong in anti-oxidants and may help against cancer.

God has created in us a dynamic immune system that can help in our healing process and the more attuned we are with God, abiding in him in Christ Jesus, with love, humility, understanding and forgiveness in our hearts, the greater inner peace you may have.  And with pressures and stress minimized, the healing process may hasten.  In my experience, I have believed much in prayer while keeping healthy the natural way through anti-oxidants, red wine and the like, and of course, everything taken in moderation.  And I believe too that a healthy spirit in Christ leads to a healthy body.

1. profile image0

Hi Edwinoel. I'm glad natural healing's been working for you!  Of course I believe in prayer, plus I myself have been trying to eat healthier.  I've cut out a lot of fats and cut down on starches,  drinking more juices like blueberry & cranberry, taking vitamin/calcium supplements, regular walking, yogurt, (all of which my doctor recommended).    I already was used to eating beans and have always loved raw veggies etc.  (Years ago, I took part in a fast at church (the Daniel fast) and I felt really good physically!  But that was before I got R.A.))  I'm not much of a seafood lover, so intend to start taking fish oil tabs.   Doc said cut out most red meats; that hasn't been a problem for me because I never ate too much of that anyway.

But if you're talking about a very strict diet change, I'm not gonna do that, at least not so much that I become paranoid.  There's an old sayin' that we are what we eat, but indeed that's not strictly true.  If it were, I'd actually be a strawberry or a cucumber...or...tapioca pudding!  haha.   I know people who are diabetic, and their constant worry over what they eat and when and all that is terribly stressful, even though it's necessary.

So, yes, I also agree that stress is a factor in almost any disease.  I'm not able to cut out all the major stress factors right now, but I do try to do the best I can.  But so far, the swelling in my hands and knees, etc., have only been kept under lasting control by Prednisone.  When I've gone off of that (even though I had weaned down to a small dosage), the swelling starts again.   Doc said I can take regimines of that intermittently.  I have to pace myself at activities, and I don't have the same range of motion without a lot of pain.  I haven't gone into remission since I've had this disease yet, except like I said when it's been temporary medical remission when taking the Prednisone.  You're right about this;  and I know that I myself feel much better and stronger mentally and emotionally (if not always physically) when I stay closer to the Lord.   
        Thanks for your comments and fellowship!  God bless you!

1. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image79

You're welcome Brenda and God bless you too. 

My mother is turning 80 this May and I am happy that she responds well to Red wine, Yakult - a probiotic drink for digestive care and helps clean the digestive track as first defense against toxins, a side dip for almost anything made from a combination of apple cider vinegar with onions, garlic and ginger, all these may have helped her free from RA, aside from being closer to Jesus, of course, and like Mama Mary, she has taught us to be closer to our Lord.  She also has her own Doctor attending to her in DFW, TX, on top of my own brother in Florida, also a doctor.  She was diagnosed free from gall bladder stones and skipped her supposed scheduled surgery after doing a natural healing process discovered by an Asian Doctor, will message you the link.

Take care Brenda, keep healthy as we KJOH - Keep Jesus in our hearts.

Btw, Brenda, you may want to check on list of possible side effect of Humira, http://health.yahoo.net/goldcontent/adalimumab/2#H7, and Enbrel, http://health.yahoo.net/goldcontent/etanercept/2#H7, which includes swelling lymph nodes in the neck, underarm and groin areas - for both medication - and added to  humira is swollen ankles.  You may want to ask your doctor on these as I help pray for your healing.

2. profile image0

Oh!  Okay.  At first when you had mentioned red wine, I thought you meant alcoholic wine, and since I almost never even take a drink of alcohol I ignored that.  So...it's a probiotic drink.  Okay. Might try that.

No problem Brenda, many people may have not heard about red wine being that beneficial to health, but it's actually the red grapes used in red wine which have the most powerful anti-oxidants.  Again, you may want to ask your doctor about it? 

I will not be surprised if Our Lord Jesus with his 12 apostles during the last supper, were sharing red wine, as it rhymes with the color of blood, intended to be shared as in essence, to be the blood of Christ, something that adds life to man, something that heals, now more than ever, not only physically, but also spiritually, and I believe it was red wine too that came off those supposed jars of water during the wedding feast of Cana when Jesus was convinced by his mother, the Blessed Virgin Mother in Mary, to do his first miracle as he changed the jugged water into wine.  Was this not to add life into the celebration?  No wonder, by faith, and in prayer, you may be able to understand better the correlation among these three important aspects of healing through our faith:  red wine representing natural means with the blood of Christ flowing in our veins/water being the original, as it is the very important, element in creation/life which comes from God and it was from Jesus that we were created as in John 1:3. Wow, truly, ain't God awesome and amazing in his power and goodness? 

Pray and pray hard, Brenda, and he'll make you understand more things spiritual than you can ever imagine.  And it is in trusting in our Lord Jesus, deep faith in him, so with his words of truth, and prayers that I have come to understand better his ways.  Blessings.

3. profile image0

Thanks!  smile
            And thanks for the links too.  Will check those out.

2. Marisa Wright profile image99
        Marisa Wrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think a lot depends on how severe your symptoms are.  Sometimes the natural approach just isn't enough, especially if you have a disease that's progressive or has life-threatening potential.   I tried for a while to treat my asthma naturally, until I had the good sense to realize what I was risking (it was my sister having an attack and winding up in a coma that changed my mind!). 

However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try natural remedies.  They can help, and may enable you to reduce your doseage of drugs.

From my research, cutting out animal fats and switching to olive oil is helpful - but don't cut out oils altogether because that will affect your health.  Like osteo-arthritis, fish oil and evening primrose oil can reduce inflammanation and pain. 

A vegetarian diet has been shown to help in several studies. I understand you don't want to make drastic changes and start eating organic everything or living on mung beans, but it's pretty easy to cut down on meat.  Buy a smaller portion of steak for yourself; if you're cooking bacon and eggs for the family, don't have the bacon, and so on.

I assume you're doing gentle exercise and aiming to stay under- rather than over- weight.  Swimming in warm water helped my mother enormously.

2. profile image0
    Fatigmonposted 5 years ago

I personally take Methotrexate and although my immune system is compromised by it, I didn't have any other options that worked, at least not at the time.

I have a daughter-in-law that is taking Humira and I haven't heard anything negative except for the cost which her insurance covers.  She and my son are away for a few days but I will ask about it when they return.

I have had to stop taking one of my meds for RA and can tell a difference and plan on talking to my Rhuematologist about Orencia or Humira.  On my own I'm leaning toward Orencia and it can be taken either by infusion at the Dr's office or weekly injection at home.

Also, the best person to advise you on interactions and side affects is your pharmacist.

I am almost certain that any effective treatment for RA will compromise the immune system.  After all, RA is caused by the immune system attacking itself.

1. profile image0

Hi Fatigmon!  I think we talked on a hub before.  Good to "see" ya again!  I thought I'd post this in the forums because the forums usually get more viewers, more people possibly with experience with these drugs.
      I'm wondering mostly about long-term usage and side effects of that usage. 
      Hadn't thought about Orencia yet.  Yes, thanks for saying you'll ask your daughter; let me know if you can.   I wish you well also in making the right decision for you!

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image61
      Vladimir Uhriposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

Thanks Vladimir.
        Yes, my doctor also says I will have to have to be tested for Tuberculosis before taking Humira.

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image61

I corrected my above statement. please remove first.
          http://www.humira.com/default.aspx?cid= … brand_3018
          Hunmira it's generic name is adalimumab. These are immuno-supressors.
          Please be sure you have been checked for Lymes disease. It has to be done clinically if tests are negative (Screening and Western Blot)..

3. Shanna11 profile image93
    Shanna11posted 5 years ago

My little brother has JRA and he took Enbrel-- from what I can remember it worked it really well for him while he was on it. He's never been on Humira, but like another poster, he was on methotrexate for a while as well. He got sick a lot more on Methotrexate, but Enbrel seemed to be the drug of choice for treating his JRA. It's great as an injectable drug (although it needs to be warmed up when you take it out of the fridge for injection) and has few side effects.

I know that a lot of the oral medications my brother was taking were destroying the lining of his stomach and making him nauseous, but Enbrel never did that.

1. profile image0

Thanks Shanna.  I wish your brother the best!

4. profile image0
    Fatigmonposted 5 years ago

Pills and the stomach lining is a good point.  I personally will opt for injectables when possible because long term my stomach is starting to reject pills.  Some are worse than others.  Antibiotics are especially hard on the entire digestive system.

1. profile image0

Fatigmon, I'm sorry they're not working well for you.

Brenda, my sis, I am sure you have a pain but it does not belong to you. Speak the Word loud until devil get tired. Do it in the faith. His Word never will return to HIM void and will establish what was sent for.

1. profile image0

Thanks Vladimir!  I love it when people of Faith encourage me.   Well, I have NO doubt at all that the Lord can heal me outright.  And I continue to go to Him with my problems.  If He heals me, then I will praise Him for it.  If that's not what He does, I will still praise Him!

Oh my dear sis. What I am trying to tell to all, that we sometime pray what we already have. Many believe "If I get healed I will rejoice". If not, I will give to God praise. This is what Job did. But he was not restored until he repented.  When I got cancer 8 Biopsies primary positive and bone metastases, on scanning, I came home and started to thanks God for He already healed me. This is what I meant. *** I am taking Vitamins to keep my immune system strong. Glory to God!  All metastases vanished. He is My YHVH Rapha.

5. profile image67
    Writer Chuckposted 5 years ago

Praise the Lord Brenda! Even Paul had a thorn he continued to pray about and the Lord didn't relieve him. Paul learned to be happy in any circustance. So even in my pain I will praise him.

1. profile image0

Amen. Writer Chuck, you've got a beautiful understanding of not only human nature, but of God's "nature" smile

There is no evidence Paul was sick.  He had another problem. Sorry. It does not fly for me.

6. profile image67
    Writer Chuckposted 5 years ago

Vladimr Uhri,

As far as I can see paul didn't elaborate on his "thorn" only that it bothered him enough to go to God three times about it. The response he received from God was that his Grace was sufficient for Paul. We don't know if the problem was physical or otherwise. We only know that God's grace was sufficient for Paul.

I do not want to offend anyone. But I am in medical and healing business. Every physician will tell you that sickness is enemy. But we being reprogrammed did not get it. If God will is to be sick then why people are coming to Drs.?  Why they don't praise God for His grace?  Please forgive me if I am rude.
      Paul had another problems then sickness. He was trained under great teacher of His time - Gamaliel. He had students eligible being in Sanhedrin Court, highest honor Jewish student can get.  The condition to become member of court  must 1. man has to know entire Tanakh (OT) by heart. (Jesus know Torah when he was 12.)  2. He has to be married 3. must have the son.  After Paul was converted he become separated and single. He did not want to talk about it. It was family thorn. Do I have evidence? No. Do you have evidence he was sick? Then we are equal. I wrote two books: Haling I-II, and Job. I did my home work. Love yea brother.

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image61

Until we change the faith (from presumption to faith) we will have troubles with healing.

1. profile image60
        Robertr04posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Until we change from chemicals to natural healing we will have troubles. You're going to trade one chemicals side effects for another, neither solving the problem, only masking the symptoms, and creating other problems that you are going to take another pill to try and solve the new problem along with the old ones. Seems like a vicious circle to me. I don't understand it.

I must agree with you and concern. See our nation abandoned God. Doctors in medicine fallowed suite. We did best we know and it is tough to study medicine.  Many time I think what natural man can do since we believers are accepting the same line. I do believe in miracles. I had many of them. Two cancers, diabetes and diabetic neuropathy. I was healed supernaturally.  Glory to God! But it took time to find the road in the scriptures. I seek until I find the truth. I was set free (John 8:31-32).
          When I came home with Biopsy Diagnosis, I did rejoice and give God thanksgiving that I was healed. But I did not say to anyone I have incurable disease. Only my family knew Dx. In one year Cat Scan revealed free from Metastases and all the time I was symptom free.  I wish you the same blessing. God is not respecter of persons.  I do love Jesus and Father.

1. profile image60
            Robertr04posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Vladi, somewhere (help me out) in the bible He tells us, "I give you fruit for your meat, and the leaves for your medicine." 90% of all diseases start at what we put into our body's. Herbs are food, some are to be taken internally and some externally but they correct the physical problems with no side effects only intended effects in a slow safe manner. Of course use only under the guidance of a health care practictioner to ensure optimal results.

Yes, Robert, they are natural people and do what best they know. Otherwise I am with you. Only I add, is faith. Everything is faith. One believes in doctor, other acupuncture, and then herbs. Common denominator is faith.
              When I pray with people for healing, for me to say: "I am better now" is not enough for me. People have to be set free. But faith has to be exercised, we use to believe wrongly.

working